The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

Listening to Eastern Promises right now. Sublime score.

It is rather. The score is positively dripping with Slavonic melacholy which more often than not gets to me.

Yes, I know. I often wonder how this distinct Russian/Slavonic tone is achieved in composition. I have a very personal connection with the Russian culture (through a lovely girl named, ironically, Tatiana), been there several times, and I feel Shore captured it beautifully.

Can you two enlighten me as to the difference between Slavonic and Slavic in this case? Ta! :)

Actually they have pretty much the same meaning, either refering to Slavs as people or something relating to them or specifically the Slavic language(s).

It's the score where he pushes his aleatoric work to the farthest boundaries, and its fascinating to hear as a whole. Really one of my favourite Shore works.

Listening to this again tonight. I've never seen the movie; does anyone have anything good to say about it? A Google search suggests that it's visually weird/awesome.

Never seen it. From what I've heard, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny well and its a bit pretentious but its visuals are really cool. I've been curious about checking it out myself.

The director also happens to be the same guy who directed Immortals....

• 3 weeks later...

Clickbait tweet!

A> Cronenberg immediately turning down their offer is not "shockingly close"

B> Even if Cronenberg directed a SW film, there's no guarantee Shore would have scored it.

That story was around earlier in the week and he was asked to direct one of the earlier sequels (as in Return of the Jedi) not one of the new ones.

To my knowledge, Shore has scored all of Cronenberg's films since their collaboration started. And considering he was offered one of the spinoff movies (not the main trilogy), I don't see why Shore wouldn't have done it.

Though Shore and Star Wars don't exactly mix...

Didn't they say that before LOTR! Was there not a member who recently posted here about how versatile Shore can be?

Dramatically versatile, but technically he's fairly circumscribed. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, so were Barry and Herrmann (and Philip Glass is a good living example). t just means it wouldn't be a STAR WARS score with the quick-witted, endlessly colourful, improvisational quality we're used to. It would probably be more unified, but at the expense of tonal variety.

To my knowledge, Shore has scored all of Cronenberg's films since their collaboration started. And considering he was offered one of the spinoff movies (not the main trilogy), I don't see why Shore wouldn't have done it.

Though Shore and Star Wars don't exactly mix...

*le sigh*

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a437740/david-cronenberg-i-was-asked-to-direct-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi.html

EDIT: and Shore has scored all but one of Cronenberg's films. Ironically the one that he didn't score came out in 1983! The same year as Jedi....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Zone_(film)

• 1 month later...