What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I've been watching Louie on Amazon Prime, per recommendation. I've always been aware of Louis C.K. but never watched any of his shows before, and not really any of his stand-up, just the occasional film.

This is a quality show, which is surprisingly completely void of network interference. He has complete creative control by writing and directing every episode, as well as editing most of them. He said that after his failed HBO series, the only way he would do another show was without interference, and FX just waits for him to deliver the episodes as he finishes them. There are some genuinely hilarious and touching moments throughout. It's very much a mirror of his own life, with an abstract lens that gives it a unique spark. There is no traditional continuity either, which makes for some interesting one offs. Each episode is essentially 2 separate anecdotes, which gives him enough time and pacing to develop some great awkward dialogue and moments worthy of Gervais or David. The celebrity cameos are fun too, as I never knew he had enough clout as a comedian to get some of these people on screen, albeit for a few minutes.

It's interesting, though not always convincing. And I wonder where the second season will go, since the first one apparently pretty much covers the book from what I've read on the net, although it doesn't really have an end. Always nice to see Eccleston.

Downton Abbey 6x02

They seem to be shutting down all the long-running storylines this season. Last week it was Bates/Anna in trouble with the police storyline, and this week it's the Drews/Marigold storyline. So long Drews, sorry about your loss!

Carson waffling between pleasing his lords by having the wedding at the Abbey, vs pleasing his bride by having it outside, was interesting. Honestly, its hard to side with him - everyone knows its the bride's big day :) Let her pick everything, dude!

It's obvious they are setting up for Edith to move to London with Marigold. Just do it already! No comedy with Violet's butler this week, but Barrow job hunting was amusing.

The Violet/Isobel/hospital storyline continues to be the most boring thing they've ever done. I can't drudge up any interest in any aspect of this subplot.

Bron (The Bridge) 3rd season, episode 1: We are off to a promising start with the latest season when Saga Norén starts solving another strange killing which will probably be just a beginning to a bigger multi-thread yarn. The opening episode is basically the setup, 6 months after the events of the last season and finds Saga alone and surprisingly vulnerable, still hurt from the tragedy of the 2nd season, which hit her home very hard. She will also have to face her own family crisis, which she has been avoiding in the past. As with the previous season openers we spend time with a disparate selection of people both Danish and Swedish whose lives will probably intersect with the police investigations one way or another with sinister underpinnings giving the audience a lot of possible suspects and motives to think about. The initial theme related to the murder is gender and genderlessness, family and gender roles and clashing opinions on the political correctness and neutrality starting to emerge ever stronger in the discussion and Scandinavian society on these matters nowadays. Sofia Helin is as compelling as ever as Saga and the familiar supporting cast do a stellar job. A subdued start and setup but an intriguing one.

I concur! Pics of Stefan staring at a blank screen not playing Terra Nova!

Which I have not seen either btw. I know it is about people and dinosaurs and was produced by Spielberg.

Which I have not seen either btw. I know it is about people and dinosaurs and was produced by Spielberg.

I've seen about 20 mins of the pilot. It was horrible. What else do people expect from Spielberg TV?

Blind bastards

I've seen about 20 mins of the pilot. It was horrible. What else do people expect from Spielberg TV?

Brooklyn 99 3x01 New Captain

Solid start to a new season of the best comedy on network TV. Bill Hader was a good choice for Holt's replacement, and the over-the-top character he played was really funny. But it probably wouldn't have had legs to be a recurring bit, so the one-and-done-ness of it was nice. The Vulture as the real new captain is kind of......eh, we'll see where it goes. Wasn't a fan of Holt's new position - Wuntch is best as someone who pops in from time to time, she's a great recurring antagonist. But increasing her role like they did hear, I dunno, remains to be seen. Holt is usually the funniest part of every episode, but seeing him lose to Wuntch here wasn't enjoyable. As for the Jake / Amy romance...... eh as well. Most sitcoms lost steam when their romantic interests get together. It's always better to watch the pursuit than the happy couple. So we'll see how this one goes.

I just realized everything I said was a complaint, but I did like the episode! There was a lot of good jokes and bits. Rosa with the ipad was pretty funny, as was the usual Scully jokes

Great interview with Paget Brewster:

http://www.avclub.com/article/paget-brewster-leaving-criminal-minds-and-not-fuck-224130

I especially enjoyed reading the parts about Community, Another Period, Criminal Minds, and Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Overall, the article offers an interesting insight into Hollywood vs Independent film and tv making.

Modern Family 7x01 Summer Lovin'

Alex's new breasts were distracting. I guess they'll never reference it in the show, but man, what a difference!

It was lame there wasn't a single reference to Alex and Claire's European backpacking trip. Did the writers just forget? Andy's fat suit was stupid. Haley and Andy's saga been so so drawn out. Honestly, they don't even seem like each other's types at all! Alex and Sanjay's story was cute, but shouldn't have been relegated to a D story, cause it was cut too short. Mitch's painting story was meh and predictable. And why oh why do they keep bringing back Dillon! Enough with that guy!

Very weird. I just finished Lindelof's The Leftovers (where people have mysteriously disappeared) and now I'm watching The Returned (where people who died in an accident 4 years ago mysteriously come back). It's almost like a sidequel.

Alex

Golden Age of TV!

I don't see this has to do with anything, but then again, I also don't understand why everything nihilistic in outlook automatically is bad art.