New book about John Williams! (in Spanish)

Andrés Valvader

Were you allowed to use this photograph (obviously you were) for the cover...?

I'm not sure about it. I took a cursory look at the book today when I went to Fnac, and none of the pictures used is credited. Although it credits "the author's archives" as source of the images, they're all obviously taken from the internet, including some from Jo Ann Kane's twitter account.

As for the book itself, it's just what I expected. Definitely not a scholarly approach to the music or significance of John Williams, it's more a choppily written collection of trivia.

As for the book itself, it's just what I expected. Definitely not a scholarly approach to the music or significance of John Williams, it's more a choppily written collection of trivia.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. At least I hope it provides some information I didn't know from before. But then again, hardcore nutcases like myself might not be in the target audience.

I'm still hoping Andres can answer my questions regarding an English edition and if he will make some sample pages available to viewing.

It would be nice if the author would provide at least the table of contents.

Peio, would you rank it below or above Ascheri's "Over the Moon"?

I was not familiar with Aschieri's work, so I've just had a glance at the Google Books preview only to realize it's as appalling

as the book of this thread, both from a musicological and cinematographic standpoint. The difference, I would say, is that Aschieri's work is more oriented towards the information behind the film and director, whereas Valverde's is more centered on the biographical perspective.

As introductory books to the world of JW both works may serve as a good read, but they're just lackluster and far from being a reference in their fields.

I'm actually more fond of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration book published by the Fimucité Festival (and by all means less publicized). Diego Navarro or Juan Ángel Saiz's insights on some particular scores are really interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andres,

Out of curiosity, are you purposely ignoring Thor's questions?

That's great, Andres. Do you know anything more about an English edition, or is that still "down the road" without any concrete dates?

Also, do you provide a few 'sample pages'? Even if I can't read Spanish, it would be interesting to see your layout and general setup of the book.

You didn't answer my questions in that other thread, though -- do you offer any sample pages online? I can't read Spanish, but it would have been nice to see your layout and general approach. Also, do you have any more news regarding an English version?

I'm still hoping Andres can answer my questions regarding an English edition and if he will make some sample pages available to viewing.

I think he is. Or he doesn't know. But some sort of response would be nice.

Excuse me. I'm working on the English edition. By the way, on amazon you can see a sample (Kindle edition).

Regards!

Amazon

Thanks, man! :)

I tried to use Google Translate for some of this. Some comments about the early years (which is what I obsess about), which might be useful for your English edition:

* I'm curious about the statement regarding a 'clarinet sonata' composed at the age of 16. Where did you find this information?

* Also, he left the air force in January-1955 according to a newspaper clipping, not 1954. Unless he "got off early".

* He moved back to LA in 1956, not 1955.

* His involvement in PLAYHOUSE 90 and TALES OF WELLS FARGO is unsubstantiated, although the titles often pop up on his resume. Williams once mentioned PLAYHOUSE 90 in an interview, but no one has been able to confirm his involvement thus far.

* He did not compose anything for MR. LUCKY, but allegedly played piano

* He did not write anything for KRAFT SUMMER MUSIC HALL

* You say that the unperformed wind quintet was composed in 1960. Could I ask the source for this? From what I know, this was composed shortly after the piano sonata.

* "Flashing Spikes" is an episode of ALCOA PREMIERE, not a series in itself. I think "Big G" might be the same, although I haven't found that out yet.

Other than that, you seem to have covered all the basics of his early years. I can't make any evaluation of the language, since I'm just reading a crappy Google Translate version.

• 5 months later...