Mrs. Doubtfire

Balahkay

If Williams hadn't been busy in 1993 with Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and possibly some other projects, do you think he would have scored Mrs. Doubtfire for Chris Columbus? They did the first two Home Alone films and then collaborated again on Stepmom and then the first two Harry Potter films, so they developed a pretty good working relationship in a 12 year period. Was Howard Shore always the first choice to score the film?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Williams was free to compose Mrs. Doubtfire and Chris Columbus did, in fact, hire Williams to compose score.

How would you suppose that he would've gone about it? Personally, I believe that he would've kept it more or less in the same styles and instrumentations that Shore did.

But what's your take?

I think he would have overscored it like he usually does with dramas/comedies. He just doesn't know how to shake the old fashioned, nauseating grandiosity.

My guess is that it would have been a little more syrupy than what Shore did, particularly during the tender family moments. That's not a complaint, though... I love Williams syrupy music. :yes: Maybe more along the the lines of Home Alone, Stepmom, Harry Potter and possibly Hook?

My guess is that it would have been a little more syrupy than what Shore did, particularly during the tender family moments. That's not a complaint, though... I love Williams syrupy music. :yes: Maybe more along the the lines of Home Alone, Stepmom, Harry Potter and possibly Hook?

I agree with this. It would've had some nice moments, but given the material, I wonder if such moments would even be necessary. Shore did a competent job, which was all that was needed for a merely competent movie.

I utterly hate Howard Shore's score for this film.

Mrs. Doubtfire competent score, understated and conservatively handled, but with its fair share of sentiment. It works for the film. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I can play the score and enjoy it. It has its own charm.

I have no doubt that John Williams' Mrs. Doubtfire would have been better but it's hard to complain, as 1993 gave us two of the Maestro's best scores.

Maybe JW's Mrs. Doutbfire would have been a combination of JP and SL? :P

I utterly hate Howard Shore's score for this film.

Mrs. Doubtfire competent score, understated and conservatively handled, but with its fair share of sentiment. It works for the film. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I can play the score and enjoy it. It has its own charm.

For me it takes an already sappy film and coats in a thick layer of sugar. It's all of the cutesy, cloying clichés of Hollywood family comedy music that I despise, rolled into one score.

I have no doubt that John Williams' Mrs. Doubtfire would have been better but it's hard to complain, as 1993 gave us two of the Maestro's best scores.

Absolutely. Y'know, a little "Hatching Baby Raptor" when he first sees himself in the getup (catch the whole "wonderment and awe" angle), "The Raptor Attack" for Pierce Brosnan's theme, the chorus from "Immolation" when Doubtfire's trying to manage the chaos of cooking dinner, "T-Rex Rescue" when he gives the Heimlich to Brosnan, and some "Auschwitz-Birkenau" when he gets caught and then loses the hearing. It's the perfect melding of two perfect scores!

Schindler's List, right?

Absolutely. Y'know, a little "Hatching Baby Raptor" when he first sees himself in the getup (catch the whole "wonderment and awe" angle), "The Raptor Attack" for Pierce Brosnan's theme, the chorus from "Immolation" when Doubtfire's trying to manage the chaos of cooking dinner, "T-Rex Rescue" when he gives the Heimlich to Brosnan, and some "Auschwitz-Birkenau" when he gets caught and then loses the hearing. It's the perfect melding of two perfect scores!

YES!

Williams was attached to Bicentennial Man for a while but left due to scheduling conflicts.

Interesting... I didn't know that. Glad that wasn't a priority at the time.

If JW was asked it would have been tricky for him considering his schedule that year. Post production was late 1993 and he had bad back issues around about that time. Hence the well deserved break in 1994.

Goldsmith also did comedies around that time as well. I imagine Dennis the Menace would be a pretty good score for Doubtfire.