New recording of Schindler's List theme, JW conducting

wdb408

It may only be one track, but a live recording of the theme from Schindler's List has been released as part of a recent collection celebrating the tenure of the New York Philharmonic's concertmaster (just retired), Glenn Dicterow.

The album may be found on iTunes here.

The digital booklet contains a bio of JW amongst the other conductors, and the program notes for Schindler's List include a little note from Glenn Dicterow:

"I knew John [Williams] from when I was in the LA Philharmonic. I did some commercial work and I played on the Jaws, Jaws 2, and Close encounters scores. He’s such a consummate musician. First of all he used to play in the studios as a pianist, so he’s a phenomenal pianist and can read anything, but he’s such a clever guy and such a great composer that I have always enjoyed working with him.

When he came to the Philharmonic we renewed our relationship and I had the chance to play not only Schindler’s list, but we also worked on Fiddler on the Roof, this gigantic solo that he wrote for Isaac Stern initially. That was so beautifully done. So he and I go back a long way and who knows, maybe I’ll end up in another session when I go back to Los Angeles. You never know."

Schindler's List: Main Theme by John Williams

Performer: Glenn Dicterow (Violin)
Conductor: John Williams
Orchestra/Ensemble: New York Philharmonic
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1993; USA

Date of Recording: 04/2006
Venue: Avery Fisher Hall, New York, NY
Notes: CD and download.
Thanks!

Not a typo; in the original program it was performed out of a set of three pieces from Schindler's List: a sort of suite. For this collection, NY Phil only included the movement that featured Dicterow.