Alan Silvestri's The Abyss - 2CD Deluxe Edition

Jay

Would people recommend this score a person who only knows the music through the magnificent choral finale. Does the rest of the score contain equally engaging (if not as dramatic) material?

I think so, yes. There's great action cues, good suspense and exploration cues, fun music for the water tentacle's appearance, and a perfect buildup to that choral finale. Check out the samples on Varese's site!

I say: it's middle-of-the-road Silvestri, there are countless better scores in which you should invest first.

Which are?

Is Blown Away one of them, by any chance?

Karol

Rather. ABYSS is not bad, but Silvestri and Goldsmith/Horner, two composers this score also draws from, have done this kind of stuff better on a lot of other occasions. It's all a bit by the numbers.

Would people recommend this score a person who only knows the music through the magnificent choral finale. Does the rest of the score contain equally engaging (if not as dramatic) material?

I think so, yes. There's great action cues, good suspense and exploration cues, fun music for the water tentacle's appearance, and a perfect buildup to that choral finale. Check out the samples on Varese's site!

I agree with Jason it definitely is a good score to own though.

Publicist if you don't have Back To The Future that's another I'd recommend getting. Intrada's release for that is perfect.

Silvestri didnt know how to orchestrate in the 80's I think. Even though he used big orchestra's, the result always was a bit thin and weedy.

If you compare that to later works like Judge Dredd and The Mummy Returns....

Without hesitation i would say i prefer VAN HELSING as complete score.

Oh I truly hate this one. Horrible score.

Silvestri didnt know how to orchestrate in the 80's I think. Even though he used big orchestra's, the result always was a bit thin and weedy.

If you compare that to later works like Judge Dredd and The Mummy Returns....

Maybe, but it works in favour of some of his works - like Predator, for instance. Very economic approach works wonders here.

Oh and he still doesn't orchestrate, by the way! ;)

Karol

Silvestri was repeatedly instructed to 'ramp it up' at the sessions, so I don't think you'll ever get a sensible interpretation of this one.

The album is dire - it omits so much of the softer material (such as it is).

The Abyss? Yeah, I haven't got the original album.

But we were talking about orchestrations and stuff and how Silvestri wasn't that well-versed in the subject back in the 80's...

Silvestri was repeatedly instructed to 'ramp it up' at the sessions, so I don't think you'll ever get a sensible interpretation of this one.

The album is dire - it omits so much of the softer material (such as it is).

Yes, that's the thing. It starts big and nothing ever changes, themes always in the same key and always forte fortissimo. I actually like the finale cue, with those ghostly vocals, but otherwise this is a train wreck.

Karol

I like VAN HELSING. No awards for subtlety, but it's just a fun meat platter.

And croc: you don't necessarily need THE ABYSS only because Varése just released it deluxe. Orchestrations or not.

I only get what interests me. I'm not like a lot of other people where they buy EVERY album from the labels that's released. What's the point of buying something you're not interested in and or not going to listen to?

Van Helsing is easily the dullest Silvestri score I've heard (but I also hate what I've see of the movie). The quieter material not on the album is beautiful though. I believe that was a case of the album having to be prepared before that was recorded?

I'll be all over this one. The movie remains one of my favorites among Cameron's repertoire, and the score is fantastic. I've been wondering for years when someone would get around to it. (I'm one of those who's truly interested in the missing material, Jason.)

- Uni

The glimpses of never before heard material in the samples on their website are fantastic. That alternate Crane Crash cue was freaking awesome!

Sold out at Colosseum (as are Vibes and Runaway). Still available at Varese.

I wonder how many copies Varèse still has for The Abyss. Don't they sometimes list how many copies are left?

This long wait for them is killing me. I really want to hear The Abyss bad!

Yes they update the site with quanties when they get low. That's why I'm not in a rush.

The inexact science of adding a large quantity to my shopping cart at Varese tells me that there are 1311 available.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they update the site with quanties when they get low. That's why I'm not in a rush.

The inexact science of adding a large quantity to my shopping cart at Varese tells me that there are 1311 available.

Make that 1,179 copies available. I don't think this will be around to much longer. So don't be to surprised if it sells out in a couple of months.

Using your method I did the same for Star Trek Nemesis and there's 3,036 copies still left of that.

Well this thing ships next Monday along with the other releases. I'm looking forward to The Abyss the most. Star Trek Nemesis I've heard countless times via the boot. I'll only listen to a couple of cues from Nemesis before getting it onto my iPod. Specifically a couple of the alternates and the two cues that were left off the boot "Allegiance" and "The Mine (Revised)". Then I'll dive (no pun intended) into The Abyss, this is one I'm eagerly waiting to hear the most.

I'm eager to hear all of Nemesis on my hi-fi.

I bet that'll be nice. Although didn't you have the boot for Nemesis? I guess it's not the same if you had just the mp3 version of it...

Apparently two people on FSM reported they got shipping notification from Varèse today about their club purchases. Has anyone from here gotten a confirmation?

Maybe they didn't get them until very late last night, who knows. I got my shipment notification (along with tracking) from Todd at Varèse about 31 minutes ago. Since it's today they were going out I might not have them until Monday, maybe Tuesday at the latest....