The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Brad Bird has been commenting lately on how he wants to see more original films from Hollywood, not endless sequels and reboots. Yes, Incredibles 2 is a sequel, but one that he didn't feel the need to cash in on 15 years or so ago.

Looking forward to this new project though, I think it would be a good opportunity to allow Giacchino to try out his musical chops!

On 4/3/2018 at 7:01 AM, leeallen01 said:

Looks like Jurassic World is the next Giacchino score to get the concert treatment.

Screenshot_20180403-115918.png

I did attend the Jurassic World concert back in May at the Kennedy Center in DC.

I’m not really a die-hard Giacchino fan. The only score I really enjoyed listening to multiple times is Jupiter Ascending.  I first heard the Jurassic World score on a downloaded audio file, but I’ve not seen the film yet.  I didn’t like the score. 

I had just started going to these L2P concerts and I thought I’d check out Jurassic World in Concert because:

1. I’ve still haven’t seen the film
  2. I thought maybe by hearing the score in a concert setting would change my opinion about the music.

I still didn’t like the music, despite the fine performance by the National Symphony Orchestra, and the film wasn’t good, either.  Oh, well.  At least, I didn’t have to endure a second viewing of a film I didn’t like just to give the music a second chance.

Things got a little interesting after the film.  Both Giacchino and director Colin Trevorrow appeared on stage during the latter-half of the end credits to make jokes and answer questions.  When the credits were over, we were treated to a screening of the first 7 and a half minutes of JW: Fallen Kingdom.  As this movie was not released, at the time, we were instructed not to make any recordings of this preview.  To make sure that this rule was enforced, a team of security guards, not ushers, were patrolling the aisle pathways—scrutinizing the patrons in each row in the theatre to make sure their cellphones and cameras were not positioned in their upper bodies recording the event.  It got a little tense, and not because of the preview.

After that, Giacchino and Trevorrow returned to the stage accompanied by conductor Emil De Cou and the paleontologist and had their Q & A.  We had to endure one lame dinosaur joke.

Q:

What sound does a dinosaur make when it’s sleeping?

A:

A dino-snore

After the Q & A, Giacchino took the time to sign autographs and pose for fan selfies for a few audience members.  Although I still do not like most of the scores he has done, I think it was very cool of him to give his time to his fans in doing talks, autographs and pictures.  It tells a lot about his character.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Brad Bird has been commenting lately on how he wants to see more original films from Hollywood, not endless sequels and reboots. Yes, Incredibles 2 is a sequel, but one that he didn't feel the need to cash in on 15 years or so ago.

Looking forward to this new project though, I think it would be a good opportunity to allow Giacchino to try out his musical chops!

That said Incredibles 2 is an absolute and total cashgrab. There's no reason for that movie to exist. 

I really liked it. While it definitely pales in comparison to the first (IMO the best superhero movie of all time), I feel Bird doesn't get enough credit for waiting until he had a good story to tell before making a sequel. It's clever and felt like a natural continuation of the original film.

30 minutes ago, John said:

I really liked it. While it definitely pales in comparison to the first (IMO the best superhero movie of all time), I feel Bird doesn't get enough credit for waiting until he had a good story to tell before making a sequel. It's clever and feels like a natural continuation of the original film.

I love the first film and think it is a masterpiece too and the best superhero movie of all time. But Bird I feel did not have a story to tell the second time around. Kinda borne out by the fact that late into production they threw out their initial story and the Screensaver plotline was a hastily cobbled together story.

Incredibles 2 is totally disposable.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Kinda borne out by the fact that late into production they threw out their initial story and the Screensaver plotline was a hastily cobbled together story.

Woah, that really happened?  I hadn't heard that.  Where did you read that?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Woah, that really happened?  I hadn't heard that.  Where did you read that?

It’s been 14 years since the first movie. What made you decide it was time to hang out with the Parrs again?

Well, there was no serious, big “ah-ha” moment. I started tinkering around with [story supervisor] Ted Mathot before Ghost Protocol. Then I went off to do Ghost Protocol, and Ted went on to do another film. I had the idea for the role switch between Bob and Helen when we were promoting the first film. I also knew that the audience knew Jack-Jack had multiple powers, but the Parr family did not. So I knew Jack-Jack was going to play a big role in any new film. And I had several other things I wanted to see in an Incredibles sequel.  So I had all those things kind of working, but I didn’t have the superhero plot, the villain plot. Finally, I had an idea while we were shooting Tomorrowland. I had a notion that would be cool and work, and I pitched it to Pixar, and everyone liked it. So the movie got greenlit, and we started moving. We’re getting into the movie, and about five months later, I realized, “This doesn’t work with the core story. It doesn’t play well. It’s too complicated. It’s intricate in a way that’s not helpful.” Then I’m stuck, because I have a release date, and all the machinery is moving, and artists are going, and I’m boned. So I kept rejiggering the superhero villain plot incessantly, and the film kept shifting. And it became even harder to corral, because we got moved up a year, and that made it even more intense. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17461902/the-incredibles-2-pixar-brad-bird-interview

This is not the exact interview when I first learnt of it but in this one he mentions it as well. In the one I remember, he explicitly mentioned the Screensaver plot and said that was very late in the game.

Incredibles 2 is definitely not disposable, yeah, it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it's still an entertaining film with a whole lot of talent and craft behind it!

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Max said:

Looking back at Giacchino's 2017 scores (I thought they were all great), I would rank them:

1. War for the Planet of the Apes

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming

3. Coco

4. The Book of Henry

Hey, @Max, how would you like to see your number 3 score be performed live by....

The National Symphony Orchestra this July 27 at Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA

https://www.wolftrap.org/tickets/calendar/performance/19filene/0727show19.aspx

WolfTrap.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 1:39 AM, Faleel J.M. said:

Has anyone here checked this out?

Anyone know if a recording of this will be commercially available?

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Giacchino looks old...

SettlingTheScore-Arnold-Giacchino-RAH-Mi

It's the grey in the beard. I have the same problem (I'm 46). Shave the beard. Problem solved.

12 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Fanboys?

Zimmer?

Producers?

Shit! So this is an actual concert? I saw the thread title at FSM and thought it was yet another of those "my composer is better than yours" threads :D

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I go by many names in that realm. 

A few few twitter posts from the current scoring sessions for the Spidey sequel.

Nice rendition of his own Spidey theme in the second video :thumbup:

I continue to feel neutral-to-negative about using the old cartoon theme.

I wonder if it’s for the opening title card again.

I thought maybe they might do a new fanfare. Doesn’t this film signal the beginning of phase 4?

3 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I wonder if it’s for the opening title card again.

I thought maybe they might do a new fanfare. Doesn’t this film signal the beginning of phase 4?

No, this is actually the last film of Phase 3.

Karol

2 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Nope, Feige says it's the end of phase 3.  That probably just means it's not introducing any new storylines that affect other films.

Mighty convenient that all of Parker's closest friends also got snapped, eh?  Would've been pretty awkward if he came back and Ned had aged five years!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Nope, Feige says it's the end of phase 3.  That probably just means it's not introducing any new storylines that affect other films.

Mighty convenient that all of Parker's closest friends also got snapped, eh?  Would've been pretty awkward if he came back and Ned had aged five years!

There were a couple of conveniences with the snapped, I thought.