Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I'd like a Blu Ray set that has both cuts so the viewer has the option.  Also, the long cut wouldn't be randomly black and white for the most violent part, it'd be color the whole time.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Kill Bill is fine the way it is.  Each film has a distinct style, Samurai film and pseudo-Western.  I have no desire to see a "super cut".

It's not really a super cut, just the way it was originally edited and premiered at Cannes :P

It was split down because the Weinsteins thought 4 hours would be too long for audiences to sit through. And as Jay mentioned, the Crazy 88 fight sequence was switched to black-and-white to avoid the NC-17 rating. The only other differences are the tacked on cliffhanger ending to Vol. 1, the recap beginning of Vol. 2, and the shortened anime sequence. 

Might be too late for some, but Amazon's gold box deal today is the Lawrence Of Arabia set for $29.99, as well as the 3 Cinema Series blu-ray remasters of Leon, The Fifth Element, and Bram Stoker's Dracula for $14.99 a piece.

I picked up the two Besson films.

Blu-ray release of the year wrapped up already. BFI continue to do astonishing things:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BGX1BK2

BFI and Mondo Macabro have also unearthed the original negatives of Symptoms (1974) and will be releasing Blu-rays for the UK and US markets respectively.

Clarke certainly did a lot of stuff for the BBC (and this is only that which survives), and much of this is unreleased (aside from Elephant, Scum, and The Firm, though a new director's cut has been discovered and is presented here for the first time). You'll certainly get your money's worth.

On February 4, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Jay said:

But didn't we determine in this thread that the new Fifth Element BD is inferior to the previous?

I have no recollection. I thought it was a better transfer. Either way, the cases for these blu-rays are shit. Mine already fell apart. It's made of two plexiglass covers that are "glued" into a paper bind. Glued in quotes because the second I tried to open it the glass popped out. Absolutely awful.

I didn't realize that the same remasters were available in normal cases. Returning these now.

Return it full stop.  As I said, the old blu ray looks better than the new one.  Here you go:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16375-blu-ray-news-and-bargains/&do=findComment&comment=1179924

Wow you even posted in the discussion!

But Jason seems to like rubbing people's nose in it. Either he has an incredible memory and is able to cite anyone's post on cue, or he reads every single post and meticulously searches to find out if it's been mentioned before.

I was trying to be helpful and link Koray to the discussion so he could read exactly why the new Blu Ray is inferior to the old Blu Ray so he wouldn't have to search for the information himself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Box set of all 10 original Star Trek films for £20.08 (lower price shows once added to cart) on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BKN6ZP0?tag=sdfp-21&ascsubtag=7d5dc830e61811e5b614da716ee9e25f0INT&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to seeing the film again, in high definition.  Don't care about all that extra crap in there.

9200000054945413_1_zpsutxxqo6u.jpg

I post this one for me and for me only. One of the best series ever. The Blu-ray restores the series back into their original film format.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

The current blu ray has the theatrical cut ONLY, actually.

EDIT: Just saw you wrote "here" - I was talking about the US blu ray, I wouldn't know about Dutch stuff.

None of this home release news is particularly surprising, considering it's intended to coincide with the one.  They've probably been chomping at the bit to release this stuff over the last few years.  That being said, I will not be purchasing any of it.

On 15/04/2016 at 3:01 AM, Jay said:

A 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray is coming out too

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Independence-Day-4K-Blu-ray/151490/

That alone would be a reason for me to get a 4K TV, if the transfer and colour grading is fine. I'd buy the disc and keep it for when I buy the TV and player at a later date.

2 hours ago, Drax said:

That alone would be a reason for me to get a 4K TV, if the transfer and colour grading is fine. I'd buy the disc and keep it for when I buy the TV and player at a later date.

Have you seen in person the difference between HD and ultraHD TV?

I got to a shop once, and I had to stand right in front and they used a magnifying glass to show me the difference.

The human eye can't tell the difference between HD and 4K unless the TV is 65" or bigger from standard viewing distance.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The human eye can't tell the difference between HD and 4K unless the TV is 65" or bigger from standard viewing distance.

Would it help if the viewer has both eyes? 

22 hours ago, Drax said:

It won't play on your betamax.