Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I feel too old to be making Christmas lists and what not and just asking my parents so spend a few hundred bucks on me for an occasion. They've already given me enough things this year, like a Macbook, a completely new room, a car, and paying for college.

:beerchug:

Get your parents something this year.

Speaking of Blu-Ray, in March I for sure plan to buy me a PS3. I was gonna do it in February but I just remembered my girlfriend's birthday is then so I won't be able to do it at that time.

I picked up Indy 4 today on blu-ray then put it back on the shelf and got "Wall-E" instead. Much better movie, better story and also for Sigourney Weaver's sexy voice :nopity:

My wife and I both love BD. We just bought our latest today, KUNG FU PANDA.

I got that recently as well. The picture quality is awesome!

I picked up Indy 4 today on blu-ray then put it back on the shelf and got "Wall-E" instead. Much better movie, better story and also for Sigourney Weaver's sexy voice :P

I also got Wall-E, haven't be able to watch it yet though.

Ohh I agree that compared to Blu-ray, or any HD, DVD looks awful.

But once I discovered that I'd need to replace my monitor to get Blu-ray, my attitude was pretty much, screw you guys I'd rather pirate HD content than put up with these restrictions, they deserve to suffer piracy.

I fully agree with Marian here, and I am only annoyed that I did not get to voice this compliant first.

HDCP is definately the worst copy protection method yet devised and I refuse to just put up with it.

I bought the Blade Runner Collector's Edition in Blu-ray half a year ago and still I have not got the player. But it gets better if I wait longer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dumb question: Will a BR DVD player still play regular non-BR DVD's? If not, I have no interest in getting one yet

Yes they will. My PS3 plays regular DVD's just fine even up converts them.

I'm waiting for the technology that just beams the video signals directly into my brain. The optic nerve is so antiquated, we need a replacement.

Wasn't there something like that in Batman Forever? :(

Does that mean we're all going to go around wearing green spandex with pink hair and pronounced nipples?

Blue-ray is dead!

It's sad when an infant dies, especially after it's defeated it's twin brother to eventually become king.

really why invest in blu-ray, its life span will be short. Its the end of optical technology. Soon flash will replace it in storage and price.

Grumpy old Joey. Blu-ray will stick around for at least the next decade.

stupid ignorant Koray, to dumb to read that flash will exceed the capabilities of optical formats.

• 5 weeks later...

We don't bother with physical media, except for some TV shows that won't get any better than DVD.

Instead, we download blu-ray rips, but we also have an unlimited cinema pass which we barely used, so it all sort of balances out.

I've already begun to see flash memory cards for sale in stores (Best Buy). Granted, that was for music, like Hendrix' greatest hits or Springsteen's Magic, but its presence is there. If physical flash cards will ever replace physical discs, it will take a long time.

How many people are avoiding Blu-Ray simply because the rest of their setup isn't up to par? Ok, so you buy a $200 Blu-Ray player, and get a bunch of $20-$30 BR discs, but if you connect it to an old low-quality TV, you've gained nothing. Some people might be doing it piecemeal. I personally bought a 32" HD LCD TV a few weeks ago, to replace an older CRT POS, so I really have no excuse now for not buying a BR player other than to just say that I'm tired of buying expensive electronic gadgets at the moment. Maybe a new sound system or stereo will be next, but that's really it. I don't want to draw a line in the sand, to say that from this point forward, I'll buy only BR discs, or eventually rebuy my DVD/VHS collection as BR discs. It ain't happening for at least five years.

But with the economy what it is, I would spend money on such expensive toys only if there was compatibility or functionality issue. A few thousand more dots per inch really isn't either.

Will Blu-Ray even survive long enough?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/123584

not likely, I've read some recent articles that said blu-ray is dead in 5 years or less.

Flash will surpass it easily, as will others. DvD on the other hand will survive longer.

Between flash and rapid downloads, why bother with another dying end of the line format.

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now. People buy physical media because they can take it home and play it straight away, not wait five hours for it to download. Music, sure. Movies, at BD quality? I don't think so.

I'm not sure what you mean by flash though. Like pen drives?

Charlie, I have a 32g flash card, that I got for under 50 bucks, its the size of a postage stamp.

I'm waiting for the technology that just beams the video signals directly into my brain. The optic nerve is so antiquated, we need a replacement.

Wasn't there something like that in Batman Forever? :P

Yesssssssssssss. You can be the first candidate when it becomes available. Oh look it's John Williams getting lobotomised on Hans Zimmer music.

batman_forever_stickley05.jpg

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now.

To hell with increasing the speed of broadband connections. Try making broadband connections standardized everywhere that people want it. Too many people live out in the boonies with electricity and telephone, but still rely on springs or wells for their water, and don't have public sewage, either. These people also don't have basic cable or even DSL over the phone lines. Try giving them broadband, too.

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now.

To hell with increasing the speed of broadband connections. Try making broadband connections standardized everywhere that people want it. Too many people live out in the boonies with electricity and telephone, but still rely on springs or wells for their water, and don't have public sewage, either. These people also don't have basic cable or even DSL over the phone lines. Try giving them broadband, too.

They knew the sacrifices when they agreed to live there!

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now. People buy physical media because they can take it home and play it straight away, not wait five hours for it to download. Music, sure. Movies, at BD quality? I don't think so.

The online movie renting services I've used have had you streaming and watching the movie within minutes

I have a blu-ray player, love it. Still buy dvds but with more important films, we get them on blu-ray, already have quite a healthy collection :D Also we recently got a 40 inch Full HD TV, and since then we have certainly not regretted that we bought blu-ray when we did! The picture is amazing.