Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek Nemesis - Deluxe Edition

Jay

Mike Matessino actually mentioned something about the "End Credits" on FSM.

The timings for the "End Credits" are correct. Disc 1 begins with the film version intro and continues with an extension created by Goldsmith to accommodate the length of the credits. (In the end it needed to be even longer than that, so they ended up taking care of it editorially and some of this was unheard). The disc 2 version is Goldsmith's original end credits piece but with the alternate opening.

Neither of these is what is on the original album. As with GNP's release of Insurrection, there are some tracks that are unique to the original release of Nemesis, so completists should hold on to them. Apart from the End Credits issue, it's a matter of "album mixes" vs. "film mixes."

So, between the three - Varese release 1, the bootleg and this new release, we will have the complete score? Neat. Wish certain other labels would pay attention to the ever-increasing popularity of these kinds of releases.

I'd personally assume so, yes, but some people like sessions-format sets and the boot would be the only place to get them.

Also, the mixes could be different: the boot's mixes for the cues that are on the album are identical to the album, but the new set will have film mixes.

By the look of the tracklist, i assume the boot is now redundant.

Yes it is, you can happily delete the boot. From the sound clips it seems the sound is not only better than the boot but so is the over all mixing.

The positive response to this release means that Dan Hobgood's opinions on this score have been vindicated....

Are there any other opinions that matter?

Certainly not those of Tom & Sami, who apparently believe deconstructing means desecrating.

The positive response to this release means that Dan Hobgood's opinions on this score have been vindicated....

And who the f is that?

Karol

Dr._Hobgood. A pillar of the community. Show a little respect.

I will anyway until I'm sure what's on the discs is complete to my satisfaction.

I suspect I won't need anything else though. :)

But the book on pre-Abrams trek movie scores will be closed.

I plan on taking a picture of the scores and their Blu-Ray discs laid out nice and complete. :)

I would suggest holding on to the boot, juuuust in case some cues are unable to separate cleanly

If there is any indication from the previous Trek releases I suspect all the cues will be able to be separated cleanly. If you listen to the preview for "Star Field / Positronic" you can hear it can be separated perfectly.

I'll be doing a picture of all the complete scores for the first 10 films. I thought about throwing in the OST for Insurrection but it would look weird. I am not gonna bother adding the Trek 09 D.E. into the mix since that was half assed...

Trek 09 is not only missing chorus overlays but a lot of cues were micro-edited. There's also the missing percussion dubs by Chris Tilton but I think the missing chorus and percussion dubs I could forgive but it was just half assed.

Nemesis is definitely 100% complete.

I would suggest holding on to the boot, juuuust in case some cues are unable to separate cleanly

If there is any indication from the previous Trek releases I suspect all the cues will be able to be separated cleanly. If you listen to the preview for "Star Field / Positronic" you can hear it can be separated perfectly.

where are the previews?

That proves even more Townson was the only creator for Trek 09 Deluxe Edition, hence with it being half-assed.

Only if Kendall had been involved with it I'm sure the release probably would have been a lot different...

I found this to be a good interview.

Interesting to note the approach of this release being a "companion" to the OST, like Insurrection. Not new information really (it was noted that the OST had different mixes of cues than this release on the FSM boards), but it does illustrate that the OST is still widely in print.

This release looks definitive for what was in the film, even with the differences from the OST, and my hunch is that the OST will be retired for me.

Once this CD arrives, the book will be closed on the first 10 films. A minor miracle if ever there was one.

I found this to be a good interview.

Interesting to note the approach of this release being a "companion" to the OST, like Insurrection. Not new information really (it was noted that the OST had different mixes of cues than this release on the FSM boards), but it does illustrate that the OST is still widely in print.

This release looks definitive for what was in the film, even with the differences from the OST, and my hunch is that the OST will be retired for me.

Once this CD arrives, the book will be closed on the first 10 films. A minor miracle if ever there was one.

Agreed.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my copy yesterday and I will say this is a solid release. The artwork is beautiful, very pleasing to the eye and the pictures on Varèse's site does NOT to it justice.

Mike Matessino did a great job with the score. The first thing I listened to was "Allegiance" and the film version for "The Mine" which were nice to finally hear with OUT sfx for a change. I also checked out the alternate mixes as I was curious about them. I was not a bit surprised that they were the mixes that are on the boot.

If you love Goldsmith and Trek film scores (especially this one) this is worth the purchase.

Well I have this on my shopping list with *bows head in shame* all the other Star Trek scores (I only own the previous TMP anniversary release) :blush:

Generally, how long does it take for Varese releases to reach the UK? I ordered my copy a week ago but I haven't even received a notice yet to say that it has actually shipped (I have a confirmation of the order and have definitely paid for it).

It's not just me that's not been getting one then. Is this the norm for Varese?

To be fair, it does say from one to six weeks. So if that's the case, I can breathe a bit easier.

Mine arrived yesterday, though I never received a shipping email at all.

I never got shipping notice either. I had to email Varèse the day those two guys on FSM posted saying they got shipping notice. Todd from Varèse emailed back with the tracking number.

Their system royally screwed up that night by marking everyone's order shipped two days later.

Well I have this on my shopping list with *bows head in shame* all the other Star Trek scores (I only own the previous TMP anniversary release) :blush:

You must make it your top priority. :P

• 7 years later...

I have a question: The tracks on disc two labeled Alternate Mix, are those tracks the same mix as the OST?

Could one, therefore, mix them into the OST program and have an alternate extended program that is all the same mix?

I think that is what I gleaned from the liner notes. I really wish all album booklets were a minimum of thirty pages

16 hours ago, blondheim said:

I have a question: The tracks on disc two labeled Alternate Mix, are those tracks the same mix as the OST?

Could one, therefore, mix them into the OST program and have an alternate extended program that is all the same mix?

I think that is what I gleaned from the liner notes. I really wish all album booklets were a minimum of thirty pages

If I'm reading the notes from Mike M correctly you would be right... They should be able to be added to the OST tracks for an extended version of that mix.  So if you have the original as well It's almost like having a 3 disc set. 

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this, but is there any chance this will get a reissue?

Varese seems to be pretty terrible with this so I'm not getting my hopes up..

They reissued their deluxe edition of Star Trek 2009, so maybe. I doubt there’s quite as much demand for this one, but it is Jerry.

7 hours ago, Evanus said:

Sorry to bump this, but is there any chance this will get a reissue?

Varese seems to be pretty terrible with this so I'm not getting my hopes up..

I feel ya. I hate how Varese seems to have huge name titles and lets them remain OOP without much hope for reissue.  I’d love to see the model change, but it’s really all of the labels. (But in my mind Varese is the worst with reissues).