Official Perseverance Records Thread

Koray Savas

Every time I receive a Perseverance newsletter I'm dumbfounded by the lack of basic web design knowledge and professionalism. Look at that mess if you dare. Charging people for a CD that hasn't even been pressed yet? I also have a feeling that "we tried and did not convince the label" equates to "Can we include Schifrin's score?" - "No." - "Okay."

I also just realized he says more reissues from people like John and Jerry are coming up. Great, no chance for more music. Unless it's deliberately misleading and he means some random John and Jerry whose last names aren't Williams and Goldsmith.

perseverancelogo2.gif
  • icon-facebook.png
  • Like Us On Facebook
  • google-logo-plus.png
  • Persey On
  • Google+
  • icon_twitter.jpg
  • Follow Us On Twitter
Hello, dear soundtrack collectors,

Welcome to number 40 of our email newsletter!

The Exorcist Re-Issue from WEA

exorcistbigcdcover.jpg

Perseverance Records PRD 057

$12.98

Will Ship Third Week of October

Perseverance Records is proud to announce the reissue of the soundtrack to The Exorcist, one of horror's best and most frightening films of all time. This is another release straight from the Warner/Elektra/Atlantic vaults - remastered and priced just right at $12.98.

Back in 1973, not only was this film released during the Christmas holiday season, it freaked out audiences like nothing that came before (well, maybe Night of the Living Dead!). For many audiences seeing Linda Blair make obscene gestures to Father Karras and puking green stuff, it was a shock and something not seen that often in movies around that time. One thing everybody remembers about the film is Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Also featured on the soundtrack are classical pieces by Krysztof Penderecki, Anton Webern and Hans Werner Henze.

Release Notes:

- This was remastered by Warner Bros Records for release by our label. It sounds excellent like all of our previous Warner reissues.

- We tried and did not convince the label to let us include Lalo Schifrin's score. Warner wanted us to release the original LP (and later Japanese import CD version). However, we thought that most people would prefer the Tubular Bells version, as that one had been out of print for quite some time.

- Priced to sell at $12.98. As usual, we want these to be reasonably priced for collectors who missed out as well as the non-collector who saw the movie and loved the music. There will only be 3,000 copies manufactured. We will not make any more after we reach that total.

- We used the original LP art.

As with all of our re-issues from Warner, please remember we price these to be reasonable so that collectors can get a good, remastered edition of this wonderful music to enjoy. This keeps the prices low so that nobody has to pay exorbitant amounts on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. Enjoy!

Track Listing:

1. Iraq 1:58

2. Georgetown/"Tubular Bells" 5:28

3. Five Pieces For Orchestra, Op10 1:17

4. Polymorphia 11:49

5. String Quartet (1960) 7:11

6. Windharp 2:42

7. Night Of The Electoric Insects 1:38

8. Kanon For Orchestra And Tape 9:48

9. Tubular Bells 0:28

10. Fantasia For Strings 2:12

If this makes your head spin, click here.

Marvelous Score by Edwin Wendler from the movie Escape

escapebigcdcover.jpg

We are excited to present this action/drama hybrid score by composer Edwin Wendler. The movie (recently released on BD and DVD) is about two doctors (C. Thomas Howell, Anora Lyn) who volunteer at a clinic in Thailand. One of them gets kidnapped and plans a daring escape with a fellow captive (John Rhys-Davies). Wendler combines sweeping orchestral themes with exciting chase music featuring ethnic percussion. The main theme is among Wendler's very best so far. The City of Prague Philharmonic is conducted by Nic Raine. Produced by Edwin Wendler and Robin Esterhammer, with special thanks to producer James Chankin. Limited to 500 units!

Track Listing:

1. Andaman Sea 2:45

2. The Highjacking / Cambridge 3:27

3. Plans 2:22

4. Welcome To Thailand 2:19

5. Patients 3:13

6. Chase And Abduction 2:19

7. The Island 3:51

8. Stop That Kid! 1:58

9. Ashes To Beauty 2:53

10. Diversion 2:07

11. Tribulation 1:09

12. Point Of No Return 6:39

13. Escape 9:37

14. The Shore 7:05

15. Escapees [bonus Track] 6:27

To order click here.

Back in Stock

circuscdcover.jpgNRNScdcover.jpg

Craig Safan's Circus and Frank Harris' No Retreat, No Surrender are available again.

Charmed Issue Still Not Resolved

I have refunded all the Charmed orders, as I still don't know when, or if, this album will be indeed released. PLEASE! Do NOT send me emails about this anymore, as I cannot possibly answer each and every one of them. You will be informed if the status changes.

Coming in 2012 from Perseverance Records

Even more re-issues from the Warner Bros music catalog with some big name composers (John and Jerry), a "Holy Grail" score from the 80's that is getting bigger the more we work on it, plus more from J. Peter Robinson.

<="" p="">

robin_signature.gif

white_bottom.png

- It all ends here. -

grueni_animation.gif

macspin.gif

Should you receive multiple mailings or no longer wish to receive it,

please reply with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

You will be taken off immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

The album re-recording. Not the film tracks Intrada released awhile back.

They're also releasing the LP of The Battle Of The Bulge.

The album re-recording. Not the film tracks Intrada released awhile back.

They're also releasing the LP of The Battle Of The Bulge.

Looks like they got the licence for both The Witches of Eastwick and Capricorn One after the The Collector's Choice label's ended.

• 3 months later...

Another Perseverance newsletter. This line was so convincing I just had to place an order for Creep Van.

The movie already sold 20,000 copies in WalMart stores around the country, so make sure you get your copy of the soundtrack.

Then...

An unusual Eighties musical re-issue from WEA, as well as the re-release of a classic MGM musical that was out a little while ago in very limited quantities. Two re-issues by an acclaimed French composer, one expanded, the other a world-premiere on CD. The "Holy Grail" score from the 80's had to be pushed into 2013, but trust me: It's well worth the wait.

How is something a reissue if it's either expanded or a world premiere? I'm confused; and Desplat is the only acclaimed French composer I can think of other than Jarre and Delerue.

What the...

That's one of the least professional e-mails I've ever seen. Not only in the layout, but also the language he uses. And PLEADING with people to stop e-mailing about an unfinished title they've already paid for, buried in the middle? Good god...

And when you can't persuade another label to cooperate with you, doesn't speak volumes about your reputation in the business does it.

Yeah it's pretty much the label equivalent of a fan blog or something. Unfortunately they actually get studios to work with them on their 'wonderfully magnificent' reissue series. He drives home the $12.98 price tag every time and pretty much uses it as the sole reason for a reissue and not an expansion.

Thing is, this isn't the age of reissues. It cries out of someone wanting to run a label, but being unable to get permission to expand stuff (for whatever reason).

I know Varese does it too, but they strike me as just lazy. Perseverence seem to try and fail. A fairly ironic label name really...

Edit - their website isn't that great either - poor use of real estate, particularly here on my work laptop (and the animated header will annoy, fast).

And can endorsements get any more damning than this?: (straight from http://www.perseverancerecords.com/)

CBS just doesn't want to work with us.

Did they seriously ask people to place orders before they'd even sorted out the legal stuff?

• 3 months later...
May 14, 2013
*New Craig Safan Album in the Works*
I just got home from Chas Ferry's studio where we were mixing our fourth collaboration with Craig, and, in all modesty: It's the best sounding album we have ever done! Stay tuned...
Robin

https://www.facebook.com/PerseveranceRecords/posts/578552602166710

I want it to be The Last Starfighter, so it's probably not.

Yep, he mentions in one of your posts above. Said it had to get pushed back into 2013, but it's worth the wait. It'll probably be nothing interesting.

• 2 months later...

I wonder how much time Perseverance Records has left as a business? It all started with an announcement that they were giving away a free Craig Safan promo CD with any orders of $40 or more. Here is the CD:

58lsx.jpg

(http://i42.tinypic.com/58lsx.jpg)

Shortly after this, Lukas Kendall popped into FSM to say this:

Friends: This Safan promo is nothing short of a bootleg that is being used as a giveaway to sweeten sales of other titles in the so-called Perseverance catalog. I know for a fact that there is at least one title on it for which another label was working on a full, proper edition, that may now never happen.

This is why none of us at the legitimate labels can stand Robin -- his idiocy and shortcuts leave behind a wake of bad feelings and misunderstandings that make it so much harder for everyone else to do good work.

Lukas

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=97447&forumID=1&archive=0

Then Roger F from Intrada chimed in on the Intrada board:

Guys, I know you are good upstanding citizens and would not be interested in supporting a business that is not on the level. I don't usually discuss upcoming projects, as you know, but I have spent considerable amount of time unraveling some legal tangles on Craig Safan's MISSION OF THE SHARK and finally got clearance from all interested parties last week -- just in time to see Perseverance scooped out three tracks and put them on a promo that is unlicensed. This will not impact our project because we intend to release the entire score paired with another Safan score, but I am really frustrated to see this complete disregard for the rules when I worked pretty hard to get this one cleared.

Then MV Gerhard spoke up:

He tried to pull a fast one with CHARMED earlier this year while we were in negotiations with CBS on the damn project. Luckily we stopped the release in its tracks before his bootleg copy got out there.

Fight the good fight, Roger!

MV

Then Doug F from Intrada spoke up:

Robin Esterhammer's days are numbered. Where he once may have had noble intentions, the soundtrack licensing industry has changed and he has become quite dishonorable. Deplorably so. I look forward to the day his tent folds and will be happy to assist in bringing it down.

--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5686

I'd say things aren't looking good!

Good. Maybe if the label gets shutdown MV can renegotiate Witches of Eastwick.

And Capricorn One!

Honestly, I don't care.

I'm certainly not not gonna jump on any bandwagon because labels think one of their competitors isn't playing the game right.

If Perseverance brings out something I feel I wanna own, I'll buy it.

It's not think, it's known. Do you not know about their Slipstream release? Or Red Sonja and Rain Man? Or how their self-praised $12 reissues directly prevent any other label from expanding and remastering the music?

They have released stuff that I would like to own, but I refuse to support the label.

Really? Our money pretty much acts like votes whenever we shop, whether it's music or otherwise. You really don't have that mentality though, since you'd gladly steal from the greatest action filmmaker of all time, apparently.

Indeed!

I'm not going to be as hypocritical as some of the other here and deny I don't occasionally obtain something I legally have no right of having. Either because of the way I obtained it, or because it's not actually for sale.

Can you really judge me for doing that Koray? Have you never done the same?

I only bought Slipstream, and since that was before it was pulled, they already have my money. There is no vehicle for me to return an opened album to them for a refund, and destroying it or putting it on eBay won't achieve anything. So have I supported them? Sure, as far as my twenty bucks lasted.

Indeed!

I'm not going to be as hypocritical as some of the other here and deny I don't occasionally obtain something I legally have no right of having. Either because of the way I obtained it, or because it's not actually for sale.

It's not a clear black-and-white situation in most cases. Could I judge you for downloading Avatar instead of spending $15 on it? Sure, it's not like it's OOP or not available in your country. Would I judge you for downloading some expanded bootleg or some country restricted item? Probably not. Have I ever downloaded something illegally? Sure, I used to all the time a few years ago. I've stopped though, at least in the sense of legally available products.

I only bought Slipstream, and since that was before it was pulled, they already have my money. There is no vehicle for me to return an opened album to them for a refund, and destroying it or putting it on eBay won't achieve anything. So have I supported them? Sure, as far as my twenty bucks lasted.

I'm not saying you did something wrong. You purchased something fully believing it was a legitimate business transaction. Would you have paid the same $20 for a known boot on eBay though? My guess is no. My question is why one would continue to support such a label when it clearly goes against something you love. In this case, the music the other labels work hard to be able to make available and sell to you.

Indeed!

It's not a clear black-and-white situation in most cases. Could I judge you for downloading Avatar instead of spending $15 on it? Sure, it's not like it's OOP or not available in your country. Would I judge you for downloading some expanded bootleg or some country restricted item? Probably not. Have I ever downloaded something illegally? Sure, I used to all the time a few years ago. I've stopped though, at least in the sense of legally available products.

Actually, I don't really care whether or how you judge me.

My apologies for wasting your time.

BTW, do people really delete or throw away bootlegs once a legit version with the same or more content is released?

The same or more content? Of course, what would be the point in keeping it?

Different or less content? That's a different story. Sometimes you need the old leaks just for clean endings/openings if the album producer crossfades cues together that aren't written to be overlapping. Or there's the case with Speed 2, where the official LLL CD did not carry over everything from the old composer promo, or Star Trek where Varese didn't pay for the choir overlays that had leaked, etc.

Nah, I wouldn't pay for a bootleg at eBay when it can be downloaded so easily. If it's not legitimate in the first place, physical possession is irrelevant.

I sometimes delete the bootleg versions when the complete comes along. If I think about it.

BTW, do people really delete or throw away bootlegs once a legit version with the same or more content is released?

If the official release has everything and then some that the bootleg has then yes I delete it. Well if some cues need separating like in the film and if the boot has those proper clean intros / endings IE: ID-4 then I will keep it to separate those cues then delete it once I get it on my iPod.

However, there has been times where the bootleg has more than the official release and thus I'll keep it.

BTW Steef how the hell can you not care about this? Perseverance obviously has a VERY shady business practice and the fact they try to undermine legit releases from LLL and Intrada and even did the same when FSM was around is just not right.

How anyone can support a label like Perseverance is beyond me. I would NEVER give them a cent of my money.

MV was rightfully pissed about Witches Of Eastwick...

Of course. Why would you keep a boot superseded by an equal/superior official release, especially if you're not doing it to support the labels?

I believe in supporting them just to the extent that I've bought albums from which I only want perhaps a 1/2 hour of music.

And there are plenty of people here who don't have the right to complain about non authorized releases.

Esterhammer is receiving revenue for his questionable releases, and hence there is an expectation of legality. Passing around boots around trading circles isn't the same thing.

Yes.

I buy stuff because I wanna own it. Not to support a label.

And there are plenty of people here who don't have the right to complain about non authorized releases.

I support the labels.

And yes I'm not going to lie and say we're all innocent. Times have changed though. The studios have opened their doors and allowed a lot of the stuff people were bootlegging to be officially released. It needs to be done right and not half assed and illegally.

Well we've got Doug Fake, Roger F, Lukas Kendall and MV Gerhard's opinion / comments, we have the Slipstream fiasco and we've gotten several mediocre releases from the as well.

I mean if you want to believe what you want go ahead. But don't be surprised by the reactions of others.

I've got 2 Perseverance releases, I think. One is Loch Ness, which I bought when it was first released and Slipstream, which I bought when it was released. Since I've alreadyt paid for them in good faith I'm not getting rid of them since I cannot get my money back.

However I will avoid buying any future releases.

What proof do we have Perseverance is doing things illegally?

The words directly from the label's owners IE: MV, Lukas, Doug, and Roger aren't enough for you?

Edit: Mark and I posted at the same time, damn you Mark! Kidding of course. ;)

And do you feel any guilt about having it?

Edge of Darkness is not an illegal release, Steef. Only Slipstream and the Safan promo are.

Legal? Yeah. But it is titled differently, isn't it? Nowhere on the disc. nor in the booklet, is the film ever mentioned. It is referred to as an "unmade film, as it were".

Karol

Well if he cut corners on several titles, and it's been implied he's done it on other ones as well, who knows what is legit?

Doug's comments at Intrada were a direct response to a question I posed. If he's doing it illegally, how is he allowed to continue?