Official Star Wars Profile Launches on Spotify

Will

STAR WARS MUSIC COMES TO SPOTIFY

YOU DON'T NEED TO JUST HUM THE "IMPERIAL MARCH" ANYMORE. LISTEN TO STAR WARS CLASSICS NOW!

Finally, you don’t have to visit the Mos Eisley cantina to hear Star Wars music. The official Star Wars profile has launched on Spotify, featuring many of John Williams’ most beloved compositions from across the saga. Three playlists are currently available: Epic Battles (including The Phantom Menace‘s “Duel of the Fates”), The Dark Side (including The Empire Strikes Back‘s “Imperial March”), and Complete Star Wars Soundtracks (featuring all music from the original six films), with more to come. Check out the cover images below! Follow the profile to listen to your favorite Star Wars music and be notified when new playlists are released — leading into the theatrical release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18 — and bring the Force to your headphones.

(From http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-music-comes-to-spotify)

As expected, no new music. But the playlist idea is kind of cool. The official Star Wars Spotify profile can be found at https://play.spotify.com/user/official_star_wars

Here are the cover images for the initial three playlists:

SW_Epic_Battles-3-1024x1024.jpg

The-Dark-Side-1024x1024.jpg

Complete-Star-Wars-Soundtracks-1024x1024

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""complete""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""complete""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

The StarWars.com article says the Complete Star Wars Soundtracks playlist includes "all music from the original 6 films." But unfortunately that's not true. It only has previously released stuff.

Interesting that they went with UE The Phantom Menace.

Karol

I was just about to say that.

The "Dark Side" Playlist, use two exclusive (micro) tracks from it:

- Enter Darth Maul

- Darth Sidious

It's a discovery for me, I've always shunned this CD.

So they create playlists with images from the new movie, but containing no music from the new score. Then they create a playlist titled "Complete Star Wars Soundtracks", featuring TPM: UE as well as the OSTs for II and III. What?

So they create playlists with images from the new movie, but containing no music from the new score. Then they create a playlist titled "Complete Star Wars Soundtracks", featuring TPM: UE as well as the OSTs for II and III. What?

That's Sony for ya!

• 2 weeks later...

So what are the chances that a future playlist includes a track from Force Awakens?

Well, I highly doubt that would be the first place a track would appear. But I wouldn't be too surprised if a track is officially released in some way early (like Duel of the Fates). Jason Ward of Making Star Wars didn't seem to have any info on that as of a few days ago when asked about the soundtrack on Twitter. He seems to be assuming there will be a single (or maybe he's confirmed that?)

• 1 month later...

Really? How did Sony get allowances for that? Or is it Disney controlling this? And if so, how do they have the rights to distribute digital copies of the original 6 scores? 

Maybe digital streaming rights to the scores fall outside Sony's contractual jurisdiction!

Copyrights and music streaming are confusing.

A playlist is simply a link to existing tracks already on spotify.

I'm sure Disney is running the official Star Wars channel, but they could make a playlist that has tracks from their own TFA OST combined with Sony versions of the old scores combined with Erich Kunzel re-recordings if they wanted!  It's just a playlist.

Good point. Got my hopes up they'd found a contractual loophole! After all, digital rights to the scores wouldn't be factored into whatever contract Sony signed in 1997.

Thinking about it though, it probably had a binding clause about future mediums.

Sony didn't sign anything in 1997; RCA released those 1997 2CD sets.

Sony picked up the OT rights sometime after they got the PT rights in 1999. I'd guess in 2004, since that's when their versions of the 1997 sets showed up.