The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Ordered Die Hard 3 via Movie Music.

After seeing how beautiful the design for the Star Trek TOS box set is, I would love to get it. However, I don't have that much extra money to spare. :(

Ordered Die Hard 3, HA 1 and 2. Since HA1 will be shipped until Jan, I also add the Godzilla Boxes I planned to buy until Jan.

Too bad that White Fang was OOP. I wanted to put it into this order as well.

As for the Untouchable, I got the OST months ago and only enjoy the first track. I think I will grab it for collect porpose, but not now.

1 track doesn't justify a purchase for me unless it's not full price. It would be nice if there were a way to remunerate the labels for just the cost of that, but I suppose their licensing wouldn't allow that.

Just opened The Untouchables, Die Hard With A Vengeance and Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. I have yet to listen to any of them, but I will just point out all three sets are nicely designed.

I'd also like to point out this is the fastest delivery ever from US. It usually takes exactly a week. This time it was 5 days. Which is unusual given that it's December just before Christmas.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
As 2012 comes to a close we look ahead to the year 2013 – lots of exciting things brewing here at the triple L starting with our first batch of releases coming out Tuesday, Jan 15 at 1 pm pst

DAVE EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION

MUSIC BY JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

LIMITED EDITION of 3000 UNITS

LLLCD 1234

Retail price: $19.98

REISSUE PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER

MASTERING BY JAMES NELSON

LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO

ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Originally slated to come out Nov 6, 2012, this hold over finally makes it’s debut just in time for Inauguration Day. DAVE is one of my all-time favorite (if not FAVORITE) comedy scores and now it’s finally available in a deluxe expanded form courtesy of WEA and Warner Bros Pictures. Long out of print, this newly remastered and expanded edition clocks in at over 60 minutes and contains the score as heard in the film as well as a treasure trove of bonus tracks. Enjoyable liner notes by Julie Kirgo take the listener behind the scenes of this modern day classic score written by one of our greatest living composers.

Next up:

THE RELIC

MUSIC BY JOHN DEBNEY

LIMITED EDITION of 2000 UNITS

LLLCD 1237

Retail price: $19.98

PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER

MASTERING BY MIKE MATESSINO

LINER NOTES BY DANIEL SCHWEIGER

ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures are proud to announce the first ever official release of one of John Debney’s most thrilling scores, THE RELIC. The Peter Hyams directed sci-fi horror film delivers some of the most pulse pounding, adrenaline rushing scores of John Debney’s career. Detailed liner notes by Daniel Schweiger and ominous art direction by Dan Goldwasser help the listener get in the mood of the slimey and creepy thriller.

The first 100 or so customers who purchase this cd directly through the La-La Land Records website: www.lalalandrecords.com will receive an autographed booklet signed by composer John Debney at no extra charge. Quantities are limited and you are not guaranteed a signed copy.

2013 is going to bring about some wonderful projects. Later on in January we will continue our relationship with Paramount Pictures newer films and release HANSEL AND GRETEL on cd.

Speaking of newer film projects, we are very excited to be releasing Brian Tyler’s spectacular score to JOHN DIES AT THE END as well as Javier Navarrete’s score to Joe Dante’s latest opus THE HOLE (cd arriving in March).

2013 will also bring a very fruitful relationship with Warner Bros Pictures as we help them celebrate their 90th anniversary with a host of soundtrack releases that span the decades. Already in the chute are 2 dozen projects, with more in the pipeline.

We will also continue to work with our friends at 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures, Columbia Pictures, MGM, Capitol Records, NBC/Universal, Sony Music, SCEA, WEA and UME to bring you guys some of the very best soundtracks from film, television and video games.

2013 will also bring you fans out there some new Bear McCreary releases starting with Battlestar Galactica BLOOD AND CHROME.

We have at least one incredible box set coming out 2nd or 3rd quarter this year that will run about $120.00. A handful of 3-4 disc sets are also in the pipeline.

Oh, and we are not done with Trek just yet. DS9 is just around the corner with other goodies planned for later in the year.

As always, we look forward to Comic Con this July and, of course, our Black Friday announcement in November (I’ll be damned if we could top 2012, but you never know what we have up our sleeves).

As I have done in years past, here is a list of SOME of the composers whose work we plan on releasing this year:

WILLIAMS

GOLDSMITH

ELFMAN

HORNER

KAMEN

ZIMMER

HOWARD

TIOMKIN

WALKER

BERNSTEIN

SNOW

ARNOLD

MORRIS

EDELMAN

Have a safe and Happy New Year. We’ll see you back here on Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 1 pm pst for our first batch of releases of the new year!

With that whole Warner Bros. thing going on and Walker on the list, I think we can safely look for Batman:TAS Vol. 3 in 2013--and with the anniversary, perhaps even the start of further branches of the '90s DCAU!

Pretty excited about the release of The Relic! It's definitely a good Debney horror score, and one that has deserved a official CD release. However, I know the CD promo and recording sessions have been leaked online for some time now, so I'm wondering if they did a similiar arrangement to the promo (hope not) or if they did at least the complete film score, with maybe some of the alternates that were on the sessions (here's hoping!). The session had a LOT of alternates and pickups, but I admit not all were really needed, and some I think needed to be edited in. I'm definitely going after a signed copy though no matter what!

I think the score to Dante's "The Hole" was actually decent stuff, if I recall. Nothing as good as what Goldsmith could have done, of course, but I think it was good.

As for the other score teases, I of course am holding out (unlikely) hope for Jurassic Park, given it's 20th anniversary this year. Other than that, it seems like either way it will be a VERY exciting lineup!

Excited for 2013. LLL was once again a label of the year. New Williams is always welcome.

Kamen... someone at FSM implied a not so long time ago that Lethal Weapon might be in the works. Would be cool.

Karol

Any predictions as to what the Williams will be?

Wouldn't it be sort of cool if they released Daddy-O...?

The Sugarland Express would be nice too. Or an expanded Jurassic Park.

There's really a lot of exciting potential releases still out there.

Unlikely to be Sugarland - Intrada reported that Williams had asked them not to.

I'd like to think the 20th anniversary of JP means something, but somehow I see mixed opinions on whether this needs expanding? Personally I think the shorter cues deserve to shine.

Dave is a disappointing JNH choice (I can't stand the OST - it's syrupy, happy-go-lucky overload), but we know Wyatt Earp is coming which I'm looking forward to.

Ah, I hadn't thought about this being JP's 20th, but I suspect that would be coming from Intrada, since they've been working on Universal's anniversary releases.

Any predictions as to what the Williams will be?

Wouldn't it be sort of cool if they released Daddy-O...?

Daddy O would be great, at this point it's probably one of my most desired unreleased JW scores. But LLL doesn't seem to be too interested in stuff before the 70s or 80s, so I don't know.

On the contrary, they gave us a fair number of Golden Age releases last year--off the top of my head, Shane, The Fall of the Roman Empire, and 55 Days at Peking.

They wanted to delve into older scores but the sales of A Certain Smile were horrible so they said they were going to stop.

That's a shame. If I had more money I'd certainly do my best to support such releases, but my score budget has grinded to a virtual halt these days. Something has to be selling out or on sale or a pre-determined "can't miss" item (such as the B:TAS releases) for me to be able to justify it.

Is there a lot of missing? Can't remember anything vital.

Karol

There isn't a ton missing, but there are some striking unreleased cues I always wanted--the most gorgeous is probably the "I can bring back everyone" sequence with that gorgeous choral piece.

Also missing is the music heard just after "Cadilac Of The Skies" when Jim goes back to live with Mr. and Mrs. Victor.

In addition, "No Road Home", and "Seeing The Bomb" should be split, as should "Toy Planes, Home And Hearth".

Dave is a disappointing JNH choice (I can't stand the OST - it's syrupy, happy-go-lucky overload)

That's why it's good. I think it was also a game changer for comedy scores. Pretty much every one after it was a ripoff.

Woe, the Relic... wanted this since the movie came out (don't even know why... it's pretty minimalist, actually)... Looking forward to...

Well it's nice to see the score has its fans :)

Personally, I want to see My Best Friend's Wedding released - that's possibly the only romantic comedy score I like.

We can agree on that one. If be very pleased to see it get the deluxe treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is where you got the info.

And I think it is the complete FILM score judging by names and track times, if you compare it to the recording sessions. The recording sessions for this film have been bootlegged for some time, but it had a TON of alternates and pickups. The alternates from the recording sessions aren't too amazing, mostly different mixes or additions/removals of certain elements, so the fact that they only included one of these isn't really a big loss. It is curious as to why they didn't include some of the other alternates though, since they certainly did have a lot of room to do so. Oh well. :) It also looks like they combined a lot of cues, which is for the best for an album presentation of this score since there were many shorter cues within it. Probably won't be able to completely confirm if there are any actual missing cues until I get this baby in the mail, since a number of the track names differ on their release compared to the recording sessions.

Can't wait to order it at 1 PM PST! :D