What's your favorite Don Bluth film?

Hlao-roo

Don Bluth, Director  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these feature-length releases directed by Don Bluth is your favorite?

• The Secret of NIMH (1982)
    • An American Tail (1986)
    • The Land Before Time (1988)
    • All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)
    • Rock-A-Doodle (1991)
    • Thumbelina (1994)
    • A Troll in Central Park (1994)
    • Anastasia (1997)
    • Bartok the Magnificent (1999)
    • Titan A.E. (2000)

The A.V. Club has posted a nice little career retrospective on the visionary "anti-Disney" animator Don Bluth, who has presumably retired from the business. Whether you grew up on his movies or encountered them as an adult, which of them do you enjoy most?

The Secret of NIMH is memorable in spots -- aided by a tremendous effort from Jerry Goldsmith -- but I do prefer the Robert C. O'Brien novel.

Anyone seen Titan A.E.? Is it any good?

I liked it a lot more when I saw it as a kid. There are good elements to it but I don't think it's held up particularly well.

I grew up listening to the soundtrack of Titan A.E. which is part of my post Alan Menken phase along with Treasure Planet, Tarzan and Brother Bear.

Once you get past the revisionism in Anastasia, it's quite cohesive and the story flows nicely. The songs are a little dated, but it's certainly Bluth's strongest animated film.

Secret of NIMH is good in places, but it was watered down from the book. Stunning animation, but needed more story finessing. Same with An American Tail and The Land Before Time.

I would say An American Tail: Fievel Goes West is easily the most fun Bluth movie, though

I would say An American Tail: Fievel Goes West is easily the most fun Bluth movie, though

The sequel was in fact directed by Phil Nibbelink and Simon Wells. Bluth withdrew from the project because of creative differences with Spielberg.

All Dogs go to Heaven for me, despite most of the songs being complete shit. But I think it's got the best character leads in the history of American animation. The relationship and dynamics between Itchy and Charlie are just plain brilliant.

And it's got an awesome nightmare scene, and you know how much Don loves those...

http://youtu.be/acxpW85WywQ?t=2m1s

:devil:

Once you get past the revisionism in Anastasia, it's quite cohesive and the story flows nicely. The songs are a little dated, but it's certainly Bluth's strongest animated film.

It's probably Bluth's most 'slick' effort, but it's also his blandest. The animation feels cookie cutter pseudo-Disney, and the performances (with perhaps the exception of Christopher Lloyd's) are forgettable.

I actually saw that theatrically (also Land Before Time, but I was still a kid then). As far as I remember, I strongly disliked it. Reminded me too much of Armageddon?

Is there a Blu release of NIMH yet? I'm also still hoping for a new release of the score.

Titan A.E. is decent enough, of course it pales compared to the 80's Bluth films, and according to him, despite the credits indicate him and Gary Goldman as directors, it was apparently also directed by other seven uncredited people. The only part that I consider actually good is the opening, but it lasts two minutes and the Earth literally explodes. After that, the movie is on and off but personally I like it just a bit better than Anastasia.

The sequel was in fact directed by Phil Nibbelink and Simon Wells. Bluth withdrew from the project because of creative differences with Spielberg.

It felt like a Bluth movie though.

I remember watching Rock-A-Doodle many times when I was a kid, but I doubt it holds up well. I remember watching part of it a year or so ago, and I was cringing throughout.

The Land Before Time is the earliest movie I clearly remember going to see in the theater.

same here.

I voted for that too.

Second would come the secret of NIHM. An american tail was nice too, IIRC. But probably it's been 20 years since i saw it for the last time...

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2014 at 10:07 PM, Sharky said:

Same here. The scores moves me deeply to this day, despite the Prokofiev and Faure liftings.

What in the score comes from Fauré? I know the Prokofiev, Bartok, and Rachmaninoff liftings, but I'm not familiar enough with Fauré to know what came from him.

Anyway, despite the various segments taken from other composers, The Land Before Time is absolutely incredible.

52 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

What in the score comes from Fauré? I know the Prokofiev, Bartok, and Rachmaninoff liftings, but I'm not familiar enough with Fauré to know what came from him.

I used to think Horner's "Friendship Theme" was ripped from opening string motiv from the Agnus Die of Fauré's Requiem, but now I admit it's a pretty spurious claim.