The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Nice! Good to see Giacchino pairing with more "serious" composers.

I like his franchise scores, but I think its time for him to tackle more mature projects, and I don't think J. J. Abrams, Colin Trevorrow, Brad Bird, and his other usual collaborators have it as much potential as Bayona and Gareth Edwards (btw.. has it been confirming whether or not he is composing Edwards next film?).

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah thats interesting news.

have bayona and fernando velazquez had a falling out?

i suppose bayona liked very much the experience of fallen kingdom…

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Super 8 CDs to gauge the pricing of one, turns out it would cost me an arm and a leg. What are the chances of LLL or Intrada doing a re-release / expansion? It was originally released with Varèse Sarabande, so would that play a factor in a new expansion / release?

On 16/08/2023 at 5:12 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Nice article on IndieWire about Giacchino praising Raiders.

Click

“Marion’s Theme” was further developed as a lullaby, inspired by the second movement of Rachmaninoff’s “Piano Concerto No. 2.”

I hadn't heard this before. It seems like the claim comes from an unsourced edit made in 2020 to the Raiders of the Lost Ark (soundtrack) Wikipedia page, and I presume it's referring to this melody in the piano concerto, though I think 'inspired by' is a bit strong.

1 hour ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

I was looking at Super 8 CDs to gauge the pricing of one, turns out it would cost me an arm and a leg. What are the chances of LLL or Intrada doing a re-release / expansion? It was originally released with Varèse Sarabande, so would that play a factor in a new expansion / release?

Yes, that means Varese has the distribution rights. They'd have to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Classic Giacchino. The theme is reminscent of some of his Lost themes, but I like the presence of the choir in the middle of the track. I'm more excited for this score than for his work with Waititi in Next Goal Wins.

I'm not sure how Next Goal Wins will sound.

In my head it's gonna be some comedy writing and some Kiwi inspired music with maybe some more inspirational music during the games.

But the one clip released already had a needle drop in it, so I'm sure there will be lot's of those in the film.

This sounds really nice and I just hope there won't be a lot of filler music on the album. I've really enjoyed tge scotes for all of J. A. Bayona's films. Velazquez is a terrific composer and his scores for The Orphanage, The Impossible & A Monster Calls are all excellent.

It seems like Baynona has changed to Giacchino now, which I'm not complaining about

On 9/9/2023 at 9:29 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm not sure how Next Goal Wins will sound.

In my head it's gonna be some comedy writing and some Kiwi inspired music with maybe some more inspirational music during the games.

But the one clip released already had a needle drop in it, so I'm sure there will be lot's of those in the film.

This sounds really nice and I just hope there won't be a lot of filler music on the album. I've really enjoyed tge scotes for all of J. A. Bayona's films. Velazquez is a terrific composer and his scores for The Orphanage, The Impossible & A Monster Calls are all excellent.

It seems like Baynona has changed to Giacchino now, which I'm not complaining about

Just watched Next goal wins yesterday at TIFF. The score is, as you described, almost non existent. There is a cue in the middle of the film that contains some nice exotic choir (a little bit like Soul Surfer), but lasts around 1 minute. The final game has a fine inspirational sport scoring, also with a bit of vocals. In total, the score doesn’t amount to more than 15 min. A suite should be enough. 

The movie by the way is TERRIBLE. I can’t believe it made it to the festival.

52 minutes ago, saulocf said:

The score is, as you described, almost non existent.

That describes most of Giacchino's works for Waititi.

53 minutes ago, saulocf said:

The movie by the way is TERRIBLE. I can’t believe it made it to the festival.

Waititi has always been a bit overrated anyway, especially after he went to Hollywood. I'm still a big fan of The Hunt for the Wilderpeople though.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this new single. Funnily enough, I was about to post it here cause I’ve been listening to his MoH stuff and stumbled upon it. I really do think this is one of his best works in years as far as I can tell. The choir is gorgeous, along with the big crescendo about have way through. Bravo Michael.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh nice, though i like hearing the his marvel logo every time...

BTW, It seem he is not doing Kingdom of the planet of the apes.

Is he doing Inside out 2? Saw the trailer today and they used a little of his music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yess! Really deserved. It's such a shame that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, as it has now become one of my favorite 2023 scores, and one of my favorite Giacchino scores in recent years.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the movie took home 12 out of the 13 awards it was nominated in the Goya Awards. I think there might be a small chance of it winning the Best International Film at the Academy Awards, but it has some strong competitors, so who knows.

I mean, it would be my personal pick, but The Zone of Interest is there and it also has several nominations in other categories which might give it the upper hand. Both great films so I wouldn't mind either of them, but I would personally choose Bayona's film!

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2023 at 4:52 PM, Jay said:

Michael will be on The George Lucas Talk Show next week

https://www.youtube.com/@TheGeorgeLucasTalkShow/videos

Doesn't look like anybody shared this appearance, for me the highlight was this story of working with Albert Brooks on Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World:

Not 100% an interview but a fun watch. It's a livestream where they were crowdfunding for shows in Edinburgh so it is a lot of "George" and "Watto" killing time with improv comedy bits, mainly a "Describe-A-Thon" where they describe the plot of Rogue One. Giacchino was on for the first 100 minutes and he shows off sheet music from Alias and Muppet Monster Adventure, a Sasquatch head from Werewolf by Night, and a fake logo for a "Lobot" Disney+ show he made to amuse Brad Bird. They also discuss the goofy track names, and some Rogue One and Star Tours talk, of course. He also calls out Monte Carlo as an underrated favorite of his scores and reveals there is an unnamed score/film that he would pull out of his filmography if he could. 

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

there is an unnamed score/film that he would pull out of his filmography if he could. 

Meaning he didn't like his score, or he didn't like the movie itself?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Meaning he didn't like his score, or he didn't like the movie itself?

Kinda sounds like it could be a movie that has something he doesn't agree with/regrets these days?

The actual timestamp is 1:39:29

They are sort of asking him as a joke and obviously he is cagey about it but he does really seem to have one in mind! They ask him for a score and it's unclear to me if that's what he's responding to or just saying the project in general he could have done without. Maybe the artistic quality or something else about it he doesn't like or just a bad experience. 

Me neither. Maybe Sin? That would be my guess based on this Gary Oldman quote from the Wikipedia:

Oh God, that's possibly the worst movie ever made. I even felt sorry for the trees they cut down for the script paper... If you're a connoisseur of the terrible, you might get a twisted joy out of it.

I think options could be:

Sky High

Land Of The Lost

But all of it is speculation of course, and this is based purely on the fact that I feel these are 2 of his lesser scores.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Sky High is super fun! A very entertaining movie with a cool premise. 

I’ve not seen the film but it seems like the “nice” person of Gen V. By coincidence I listened to the score the other day but honestly can’t remember a thing about it. Fun but pretty unremarkable. 

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ve not seen the film but it seems like the “nice” person of Gen V. By coincidence I listened to the score the other day but honestly can’t remember a thing about it. Fun but pretty unremarkable. 

It's a Disney movie after all, lol. 

Can't remember anything about the score as well, but I think it sounded like Giacchino doing superhero music pastiche (before superhero music came to be redefined by Zimmer's Bat-scores).