Jerry Goldsmith's Psycho II - new Intrada complete

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

10153892_10152054418052169_1376872164_n.

PSYCHO II

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 273

For the 1983 Universal Pictures sequel Psycho II, composer Jerry Goldsmith retained the coiling, aggressive string writing he’d developed through the '70s, while grounding the score with a melody for ghostly electronics and strings -- one that gets to the heart of the Norman Bates character in an unexpected way, capturing a sense of innocence and sympathy. In the score’s main title, Goldsmith’s wistful theme for Norman plays against a repeating, four-note piano figure, one that slithers off in an odd direction as it’s about to repeat a fourth time. Like mother and son, the piano motif is related to the theme for Norman and hints at his madness, driving numerous cues in the score.

Goldsmith fashioned roughly an hour of music for Psycho II, including using Bernard Herrmann’s legendary shower murder set-piece from the original film to open his otherwise all-new score. The original 1983 MCA vinyl soundtrack featured exactly 30 minutes of music, including the Herrmann opening murder sequence. In addition to missing numerous important cues, the album shortened three of the nine cues present. Consequently, more than half of the score is making its premiere appearance on this Intrada CD. Intrada was given access to the complete multi-channel recording session masters and assembled the entire score in picture sequence. The master elements were in pristine condition and included all of the complex electronic overlays with their vast array of throbs and gurgles, child-like bells and distant motifs—and those terrifying knife-like slashes.

Psycho II presents Norman (Anthony Perkins) as a protagonist, when a strident Lila Loomis (Vera Miles) harangues him on the day of his release. Furtive and gentle, Norman is taken in by Mrs. Spool (Claudia Bryar) to work at a local restaurant where Norman is soon employed as a cook’s assistant. Norman invites hapless waitress Mary (Meg Tilly) to stay with him at his decrepit house, unaware that Mary is the daughter of Lila. When signs seem to indicate Norman’s mother is exerting her influence on her well-meaning son again, Norman turns to Mary for solace, and despite her involvement in attempting to incriminate Norman, Mary begins to sympathize with him. But things naturally don't work out for the best.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 273

Retail Price: $19.99

Available NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8616/.f

Jerry Goldsmith
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 273
Date: 1983
Time: 1:14:10
Tracks: 31
Intrada proudly presents eerie, terrifying original soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith from Richard Franklin follow-up to famed Alfred Hitchcock thriller about Norman Bates and those twelve vacancies at his Bates Motel. Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles reprise their iconic roles with newcomers Meg Tilly, Dennis Franz adding to suspense, chills. Goldsmith takes sensational approach to horror tale by anchoring entire score not with scary theme but with incredibly gentle, minor key idea that generates significant amount of sympathy for Norman, his attempts to go straight after years in prison. That said, horrific events follow and composer launches riveting action material in kind. Orchestration is unique: requisite strings in tribute to classic Bernard Herrmann original play key role but composer adds array of colors courtesy piano, large woodwind section, synthesizer. Goldsmith tacets all brass save French horns, allowing the expressive instruments to rip, tear and bray through numerous frightening passages. An unusually intense additional color comes from wild "knife slashes" written into score. With all these sizeable shadings of sound, resulting music ranges from gently beautiful, hauntingly sad to wildly aggressive, strikingly intense. Complete score presented in dynamic stereo courtesy multi-track session masters vaulted in pristine condition at Universal. For original 1982 album, Goldsmith did considerable editing within cues, dropped major sequences entirely to keep duration at a half hour. In some cases he also attached names of certain cues to others instead. Scoring session paperwork and cue sheets allowed us to properly identify everything for the first time. Fun to discover Goldsmith wrote two separate sequences titled "Mothers Room", "Mother's Room #2" plus two additional alternate versions featuring different bells, chimes, electronic effects within. All four appear on our CD. Also fun to discover haunting "End Title" was originally scored with striking pizzicato strings that plucked rhythmic accompaniment to introduction of gentle theme. This unused alternate also appears on our CD in "extras" section. Goldsmith also recorded two Beethoven piano excerpts at his sessions to be heard as Bates plays piano onscreen. Both also appear as extras, as does alternate version of "Peep Hole #2". Highlights of new music are many but deserving spotlight are intense "Toomy's Death", stark two-part voicings of French horns during "Expected Guest". Flipper cover allows listeners to select new artwork or original MCA album cover. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!
01. The Murder (Bernard Herrmann) (0:59)
02. Psycho II – Main Title (1:39)
03. The House (1:51)
04. Mother’s Hand (1:54)
05. Old Weapons (0:41)
06. Cheese Sandwich (0:31)
07. Mother’s Room (2:05)
08. Out To Lunch (2:00)
09. No Note (1:05)
10. The Peep Hole (1:47)
11. Toomy’s Death (1:11)
12. Peep Hole #2 (Revised) (0:55)
13. Mother’s Room #2 (4:28)
14. Basement Killing (1:18)
15. New Furniture (0:44)
16. It’s Starting Again (0:40)
17. A Night Cap (1:08)
18. Blood Bath (4:01)
19. Don’t Take Me (5:39)
20. She’s Not Dead (1:16)
21. Hello Mother (2:52)
22. The Cellar (4:48)
23. It’s Not Your Mother (5:11)
24. Expected Guest (2:44)
25. Psycho II – End Title (Revised) (4:18)
Time: 56:41
The Extras
26. Sonata #14 [Moonlight], Op. 27, No. 2 – 1st Mvt (Beethoven) (1:51)
27. Sonata #8 [Pathetique], Op. 13 – 2nd Mvt (Beethoven) (1:04)
28. Peep Hole #2 (Original) (0:56)
29. Mother’s Room #2 (Alternate No. 1) (4:28)
30. Mother’s Room #2 (Alternate No. 2) (4:28)
31. Psycho II – End Title (Original Version) (4:18)
The Extras Time: 17:18

I had to make sure this wasn't an April Fools joke, but it looks like it isn't BS. It still feels unreal that this is getting a complete release the way some hail it as a grail. I guess Intrada held off announcing it last week so nobody would suspect it being an April Fools prank. I'll add this to the list of a long list scores (re-issues, expansions, C&C's) I want to purchase but can't at the moment.

I had to make sure this wasn't an April Fools joke, but it looks like it isn't BS. It still feels unreal that this is getting a complete release the way some hail it as a grail. I guess Intrada held off announcing it last week so nobody would suspect it being an April Fools prank. I'll add this to the list of a long list scores (re-issues, expansions, C&C's) I want to purchase but can't at the moment.

Roger doesn't do the April Fools thing...at least I don't think he does.

They never had an announcement when they released Back To The Future.

I wish there was more information about the making of the soundtrack available.

There is, inside the booklet of the new Intrada release.

How do you like your Nexus 5?

I meant in general. I'd love if there was an interview with Jerry Goldsmith about the score. Is there usually much info the intrada release booklets? I just ordered it.The vinyl was inexpensive thankfully. Love the nexus 5 but just yesterday cracked the screen after a very small drop :(.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I meant in general. I'd love if there was an interview with Jerry Goldsmith about the score. Is there usually much info the intrada release booklets? I just ordered it.The vinyl was inexpensive thankfully. Love the nexus 5 but just yesterday cracked the screen after a very small drop :(.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They are usually a bit more general and sparse than, say, La-La Land booklets. Normally, you don't do a lot of track by track analyses and stuff like that.

Karol

I would generally advise precaution with PSYCHO II. It is an often abrasive thriller score that is occasionally broken by a a tranquil melancholic main theme. There are the usual FSM members elevating it to HOLY GRAIL!-status, but you really need a lot of love for mid-range Jerry thriller scores - this is no BASIC INSTINCT or BOYS FROM BRAZIL but more of a VANISHING or COMA, though COMA is more interesting musically. I kind of like it but have a hard time seeing the STAR TREK/MULAN crowd getting warm with it.

Is it a Cassandra Crossing?

It's got no IT'S ALL A GAME, so the answer sadly has to be NO.

Personally I much prefer COMA to BASIC INSTINCT and THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL.

Be that as it may, both of these scores are prominent musical showcases in their movies and feature several full throttle set pieces - something i wish i could claim for PSYCHO II.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...