John Debney's Lair - new 2CD set La-La Land Records

Jay

Dan Goldwasser chose the new track order and assembly, starting by following notes that Debney had about his original preferred album arrangement (which was not what was released in 2007).

There was an article on underscores.fr that included Dan G talking about that, but the article seems to have disappeared off their site (the original link to it is in the main post of this thread)

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's very hard to do a complete release if a game's score is dynamic though, and it probably wouldn't be very satisfactory.

We got Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

And while not all the music was used in the main score suites, it was very satisfactory. It must had been a nightmare to assemple, with so many little snippets.

I'm so glad they included all of the remaining music on disc 2.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's very hard to do a complete release if a game's score is dynamic though, and it probably wouldn't be very satisfactory.

Even harder if a game is open world and only main events of the plot are chronological.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Lair is not an open world anyway.

It's structured and scripted, it's "Rogue Squadron" with Dragons....

True. I was speaking more on general terms on not about Lair specifically. That game is very linear indeed.

I have made "OST assemblies" twice now for rather open-ended games that may or may not have a story element.

What I did is to either use whatever story it does have or imagine a story of my own and try to have the music follow that, making heavy use of the track names to tell that story.

Of course there weren't any truly "loopable tracks" there, nor short "stingers" of any kind to confuse it all.

As far as I'm concerned, it is definitely possible, but does indeed require some substantial creativity.

So yes, definitely harder.

Spoiler

If anyone cares to know, one the games I'm referring to is the 2003 "Pirates of the Caribbean" game by Akella (that has basically nothing to do with the films).

I've been modding that for years now and since no official release was made of the music, I made my own.

The other game is Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas which they're making over at http://piratesahoy.net/

None of this is in any way "official" and I will not claim to have any relation with "professional OST album assembly".

• 6 years later...

I’ve listened to the single disc version of Debney’s score to the video game Lair on and off over the years. It’s really terrific. Probably up there with Cutthroat Island as far as great orchestral bombast.

For those who’ve listened to the 2 disc expansion, do you consider that essential? Does it make a great score a masterpiece? Or does it become too much after a while? Is there a better thematic narrative revealed with the extra music (nice quiet moments to balance the action)? Just curious as I see there’s a few available at moviemusic.com at a decent price. 

https://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09370/lair/

EDIT: Thanks @Jay. I Should looked to see if  there was already a thread for this.

Lair is truly great - a massive piece of work by Debney and Kaska. Epic in all the right ways.

I do have a soft spot for Debney - his work on Hocus Pocus, Cutthroat Island, Sudden Death etc were a fantastic breakout for him in the early 1990s. He is, like McNeely, a master of all trades and perhaps that is why McFarlane likes them. I do have a slight tingling in my throat about his work with Gibson and his support for the military but hey ho.