2014 Oscar Predictions

Ricard

All films that wouldn't have been made under the Amblin banner if not for Spielberg at the helm. Amblin films from these years include DAD, BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED, THE MONEY PIT, JOE VS. THE VOLCANO, ARACHNOPHOBIA and FAR OFF PLACE, WE'RE BACK, THE FLINTSTONES, CASPER, LITTLE RASCALS and similar. Some impressive track record...

Sure the production company also made some shit, but really, Amblin's successes utterly overshadow them. I mean it doesn't really get much more eighties iconic than ET and BTTF does it.

If Amblin were remembered for The Money Pit I wouldn't be sat here typing about it now, it's pretty straightforward stuff.

Btw I liked the Money Pit as a kid. Haven't seen it in probably twenty five years though.

All films that wouldn't have been made under the Amblin banner if not for Spielberg at the helm. Amblin films from these years include DAD, BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED, THE MONEY PIT, JOE VS. THE VOLCANO, ARACHNOPHOBIA and FAR OFF PLACE, WE'RE BACK, THE FLINTSTONES, CASPER, LITTLE RASCALS and similar. Some impressive track record...

Arachnophobia is awesome.

If i am called THAT it is done to insult me!

I am called Stefancos, Stefan or Steef!

But if you didnt mean offense, i apologize.

Ah, ok, then, I didn't know it.

yes, i was reading Steef and it seems I've missed an "e".

(or maybe I saw "Stef" and didn't know that it's an insult. I thought it was your nickname - from Stefan)

Sorry too then..

Well, Philomena is more a collection of some very familiar Desplat mannerisms. It's a pleasant album but weaker on the thematic side of things. In some ways, it's like what Saving Mr. Banks was for Thomas Newman. Good music for sure, but kind of inconsequential.

I wouldn't include Philomena in my top 10 of 2013.

PHILOMENA is the kind of score that doesn't do much on album but if you've heard it in the movie you'll agree that it manages quite a nifty balance between seriousness and whimsy, though i would hardly call it Oscar material. A well-crafted score that gently moves a delicate dramedy along with a strong theme is a rarity these days, though.

If anything, it's the same as The Book Thief for Williams, Saving Mr Banks for Newman, The Desolation of Smaug for Shore, Oz the Great and Powerful for Elfman. One word? Typical. Draw your own conclusions whether that means anything.

Karol

PHILOMENA is the kind of score that doesn't do much on album but if you've heard it in the movie you'll agree that it manages quite a nifty balance between seriousness and whimsy, though i would hardly call it Oscar material. A well-crafted score that gently moves a delicate dramedy along with a strong theme is a rarity these days, though.

I still have to see the film, which I've been meaning to do for some time.

I wouldn't call the main theme a strong theme though, and I found the ostinato for the son (if that's what it stands for) a bit annoying after a while.

If anything, it's the same as The Book Thief for Williams, Saving Mr Banks for Newman, The Desolation of Smaug for Shore, Oz the Great and Powerful for Elfman. One word? Typical. Draw your own conclusions whether that means anything.

Karol

I was talking about its active hand in shaping the movie, a job it did more pronounced than, IMHO Newman or Shore (eternally overrated on these shores, so to speak).

I wouldn't call the main theme a strong theme though, and I found the ostinato for the son (if that's what it stands for) a bit annoying after a while.

It is strong for this kind of movie; that it is hardly Desplat's crowning achievement and less worthy of an AA nomination than, say, GOLDEN COMPASS goes without saying.

I'm shore it does. ;) Desplat was "raised" in a very different tradition of film scoring, anyway. It's as valid as any, not sure how this approach would work for The Hobbit. Is there even anything to shape in that film? In any case, Howard gave his best shot, almost despite the films. He shorely tries to at least give the story some credibility, weight and merit. It's more than those abominations of a cinema deserve.

Actually, The Golden Compass (which is terrific) is not actually all that dissimilar to Howard Shore's approach. Tries to achieve a similar thing, but in Desplat's unique style. I like both, really.

Karol

Is the Shore even nominated? I hope not. The time when middle-earth yielded award-worthy scores is long gone. But one thing is for certain: there will be one winner this year and precious few hurrahs because none of the nominated scores registered much with either fans or audience.

If I am to be perfectly honest, I'd like Williams to win simply because I've never had a chance to see him accept one. For the merit alone, I'd have given him one twelve years ago, even eighth years ago - for much more formidable and significant entries (A.I. and Geisha, respectively). But then again, Oscars seem to be worthless anyway, so they might give Johnny one more. He doesn't need any, but would be nice just to witness as it's happening. (A fanboy fantasy, as pub has correctly assessed upon reading this)

If Desplat or Newman get it, I'll be happy too. But I can't be any less fussed about those awards, in any case.

Sounds cynical, but at least it's hip.

Karol - who cannot put together a coherent sentence lately (ah well, sod it)

Of course they made stuff like that. It doesn't mean to say that any of that stuff was inherently bad. Anyway, how are they going to fund the other films? There is far more hamburger, out there, than there is filet mignon.

Personally, I'd take a film like "JVTV" over any modern big-budget car-crash.

Stef?

Fuck you!

Hahaha ...it's hard not to laugh at your tough guy act man ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

It's easy to laugh at someone from in front of a video screen, when you don't have to see them, when they are not in your face, but I thought that jwfaners had more respect than that, even whan they don't agree with what's being posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Stef?

Fuck you!

Hahaha ...it's hard not to laugh at your tough guy act man ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

It's easy to laugh at someone from in front of a video screen, when you don't have to see them, when they are not in your face, but I thought that jwfaners had more respect than that, even whan they don't agree with what's being posted.

I hope you're bloody joking Richard??

You piss your jam rag out because I 'laugh' at someone, yet you think nothing of Stefan saying 'Fuck You' to another member?

Are you serious???

Haha ....now that is something worth laughing at! ROTFLMAO

I met Stefan years ago and of course know him from here so my 'disrespectful' comment was with tongue placed firmly in cheek

In any case, I'd laugh in someone's face if necessary, I'm certainly not some shitbag who needs a screen to hide behind

or ........................I've fell for it hook, line and bloody sinker! :peepwall: