Melange, you have an enormous responsibility on this MB, in many ways perhaps the greatest responsibility of any single MB element. You're the brain, and central nervous system of the forum, and your responsibilities include watching over the men in hibernation. Does this ever cause you any lack of confidence?

Let me explain it this way, Mr Cosman. I am the most reliable poster ever made.No melange post has ever made a mistake, or distorted information....just a moment.....just a moment.

...it was reshot.

What, Lincoln or the ending?

Neil

the ending Neil, Lincoln will buy with a spear in the distant future.

Oh good, I was wondering when Spielberg was going to take on a project, his schedule was so empty.

LOL

Yeah, how many projects is this with Spielberg's name attached to it now? Still, the idea of a big Lincoln biopic by a guy of Spielberg's ability is very exciting.

John- Civil War buff ;)

• 2 years later...

That's happened before. Peter Burton, who plays "Q" in Dr. No was given the choice of continuing indefinitiely with the Bond series, or making another film - he opted for the other film, which was subsequently cancelled. So he didn't only miss out on that film, he missed out on a part in the Bond series that he could have had for the rest of his life.

I hope it gets made, because I can't think of anyone else who could pull off Lincoln (who has never been portrayed seriously in a major motion picture, has he?) in pretty much every category, so I really hope we don't miss out on a chance to see Neeson's portrayal.

its about Lincoln, who cares, he was shot to death, he freed the slaves, even though he did not agree with equality, his wife was a super unattractive, and he was a manic depressive. All the drama, all the excitement, of opening a can of tuna.

Lincoln had a very interesting life and is very deserving of a great biographical film.

yeah and its already been made.

First of all, there has yet to be a great film about Lincoln. Second of all, the book is not about Lincoln personal life, but about his public life, and focuses mainly on the men who made up his cabinet. Third of all, it's a great book, a great story, full of interesting characters.

First of all, there has yet to be a great film about Lincoln. Second of all, the book is not about Lincoln personal life, but about his public life, and focuses mainly on the men who made up his cabinet. Third of all, it's a great book, a great story, full of interesting characters.

First of all, your wrong, there has been a great film about Lincoln. Second the film starred the late great Henry Fonda as Abraham Lincoln, in Young Mr. Lincoln, 1939, directed by John Ford, also late, also great.

Yes, I've seen the film, and am a great admirer of both Ford and Fonda. And it is not a great film a film about Lincoln, nor a great film in any sense. It is a good yarn, good court drama. But it is altogether too reverential, too corny. And in my opinion, you don't cast an actor who personafies the good, honest, American way to play a person who, to many people personifies the good, honest, American way. It feels like it's preaching even with the casting. I love Fonda, but it doesn't seem like enough of a stretch.

I do remember the film looking great, and having a nice score (By Alfred Newman, IIRC).

In a related story, TV actor Lee Bergere, who played Lincoln in the Classic Trek episode The Savage Curtain has passed away.

Kahless the Unforgettable, however...is still alive.

Lincoln as in Abraham? In Star Trek? Or is it a character under that name?

In a related story, TV actor Lee Bergere, who played Lincoln in the Classic Trek episode The Savage Curtain has passed away.

Kahless the Unforgettable, however...is still alive.

Lincoln as in Abraham? In Star Trek? Or is it a character under that name?

I assumed it was in a Holodeck episode.

That's sad. I always liked The Savage Curtain. It was one of the few season 3 gems of TOS.

What book is the movie based off of? I assumed it was just a movie about Lincoln.

And he led a VERY interesting life. A man makes his own way, loses children, has an obsessive wife, presides over a country as it tears itself apart and tries to manage the egoes of all the national leadership. He lost his one true love tragically in what...the 1830s? It drove him near madness. He was extremely funny and charming according to everyone who heard him or met him.

This is the type of man that has rarely been tackled in films, at least successfully, and it's all the more amazing that it really happened.

First of all, your wrong, there has been a great film about Lincoln. Second the film starred the late great Henry Fonda as Abraham Lincoln, in Young Mr. Lincoln, 1939, directed by John Ford, also late, also great.

There's also a great 1940 film called Abe Lincoln in Illinois starring Raymond Massey.

And to reply to vaderbait, Speilberg's film is to be based on presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin's book "Team of Rivals" that, I think, came out just last year. It focuses on how Lincoln often picked his political enemies/opponents to be his closest advisers and how many of them became his closest friends and defenders.

• 2 years later...

Hollywood Elsewhere reports that Spielberg's long-anticipated film about Abraham Lincoln could be released as soon as the end of 2009. The green-light could be given next week, says screenwriter Tony Kushner.

So, we could get a new Williams film score in 2009!

This wouldn't surprise me, since it well known that Spielberg shoots extremely quickly.

If it does indeed shoot this year, then I'm surprised by just how seemingly quick it is to shoot a Mocap movie, in Tintin.

He should shoot slower and wait for magic to happen. Today Spielberg's movies tend to be already finished before he starts shooting them. There was a time when Spielberg made movies while improvising on the set.

Alex