Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Does the color grading have been changed to teal and orange?

I'm not sure if this post is ironic or not, but anyway I'll reply seriously.

No! :)

That's sarcasm, not irony.

Cheers, the irony police. ;)

Does the color grading have been changed to teal and orange?

I'm not sure if this post is ironic or not, but anyway I'll reply seriously.

No! :)

That's sarcasm, not irony.

Cheers, the irony police. ;)

yeah, I'm sorry, I mixed the terms/

And to think that both are Greek. :lol:

What do you mean? The blu ray looks like its supposed to; The DVD has a red sheen over everything

I haven't seen it at the cinema and I don't know how it looked.

I saw it first on TV and I don't remember if it had the red blanket or not.

So changing the filter is only problematic when you remember what the original one was? ;)

No.

It's only problematic when it is wrong!

Here it is evident that the red filter in the DVD is wrong.

But in other instances, eg. the teal Blurays it is evident that those are tweaks of the directors/restorators, and not the original colors.

Why do you decide what's right and wrong?

I don't decide. It's clear by itself.

It's clear here for example that the animators couldn't have painted pinkish plates and cups, isn't it? (or pinkish eyes, teeth etc. Actually you won't find any pure white)

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4355&disc2=4356&cap1=40516&cap2=40526&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=1783&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

As it is clear here in a comparison of 35mm print to Bluray, which are the original colors.

RlnrFNT.jpg

edit: Oh, I'm sorry you asked "why" and I thought you asked "how".

Well, original is right because as I've said multiple times it reflects the time in which a film was done.

A B&W Casablanca for example is right, and a color Casablanca is wrong! ;)

What do you mean? The blu ray looks like its supposed to; The DVD has a red sheen over everything

Here it is evident that the red filter in the DVD is wrong.

How do you know that? How do you know the movie on the DVD doesn't look how Miyazaki envisioned it? Did he specifically say so? If not, then you're just basing this on your personal preference: "I prefer how it looks on the Blu-Ray compared to the DVD, so surely that's how it's meant to be seen" but you have no evidence that it's the case.

• 2 weeks later...

The Steven Spielberg Director's Collection is $49.99 today as part of Amazon's Gold Box Deal. That's a few dollars cheaper than buying Duel, 1941, The Sugarland Express, and Always separately. Or if you don't own any of the films already, $6.25 per film.

Tempting.

Tempting, yea!

But I will instead import 1941 from another country where they actually put the theatrical and DC cuts on separate discs with higher video bitrates, and better sound for the DC.

I only ever wanted Always from that set. I just wouldn't watch the other former exclusives more than once, if that.

A part of me is still disappointed they didn't throw the 20th Anniversary version of E.T. in there.

Almost bought the metal box containing The Raid & The Raid 2 and Schindler's List 30th Anniversary Edition

However, I ended up buying zilch.

Why the hell would you ever want to see the 2002 version of ET again? :eh:

maybe just for completist's sake and historical purposes?

Although i would never see it in its entirety again, I would maybe like it to be included too..

You guys are nuts. Spielberg ruined the film with those changes. He was wise to dis-avow it later and state he'll never modify his films again.

The 2002 version is cultural vandalism. Like what happened in 1997.

well, I think the live soundtrack was a good bonus to have (although yes, i don't like the 2002 version either)

They should have kept it and sync it to the theatrical version, and include it in the Bluray! :)

I'm glad Close Encounters has the three cuts available. The whole inside the ship scene which Spielberg stated was a mistake, well that's actually my favourite cut. But I like to watch another cut every time I want to see the film.

Never seen E.T. 2002, but the scene is on the new blu-ray and it's laughable. CGI E.T. is like CGI Yoda, zero chemistry.

'Inside the ship' is a great bonus (especially from a SFX point of view) but it's not necessary for the movie.

I love this scene also and I don't understand how it ruins the movie as many say.

There is still mystery after seeing this scene..

'Inside the ship' is a great bonus (especially from a SFX point of view) but it's not necessary for the movie.

Agreed. Spielberg never wanted to do it in the first place, but he needed the cash!

Almost bought the metal box containing The Raid & The Raid 2 and Schindler's List 30th Anniversary Edition

Strange to package those three movies together. Bold. ;)

The 20th Anniversary version did not ruin E.T. That's just ridiculous. It's still the movie. I have very fond memories of going to see it on opening night and alone on the last day of its run at the cinema at Providence Place Mall. The updates to the special effects (ie spaceship and bicycle scenes) were really the only things I approved of. Similar to the Star Wars Special Edition Millennium Falcon takeoff and dogfights over the Death Star, I was giddy as a schoolboy when I saw Elliot's cape as they go over the moon.

et109.jpg

Plus, the DVD has the fun audio track from the premiere with the score being conducted live by Williams. That's always fun on a rainy Saturday morning.

Well obviously he does; He disavowed the 2002 cut and will never modify his films again.

Wait, really? I am pretty sure any time I've seen it in the USA it's been the original version

ATTENTION Criterion Lovers!!

Canadian amazon has CRAZY prices for many Criterion Blurays!

It's most likely an error but I placed an order!!

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=criterion&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A917972%2Ck%3Acriterion%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A2618860011&qid=1434099418&sort=price-asc-rankM

Many people order by the dozens already!!

Don't Canadian Blu Rays have modified back covers where all the text has to be shown in both English and French, so they have to remove images and text that are used on the original USA Blu Rays in order to fit everything?

I made 5 separate orders earlier today (trying to keep them all under the customs threshold). I'm fully expecting them all to be cancelled in due course.

Oh they were ridiculous earlier; they've fixed most of them now. I'll give you a taster (these are all Blu-rays btw):

The Night Porter, The Big Chill, Insomnia, Tess, Eraserhead - $15.15 TOTAL before shipping

Days of Heaven, The Great Dictator, The Blob, Gimme Shelter, Shallow Grave, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Complete Jacques Tati - $28.47 TOTAL before shipping

Dazed and Confused, The Ice Storm, Broadcast News, All That Heaven Allows, Traffic, A Hard Day's Night, IAMMMMW - $21.81 TOTAL before shipping

Of course, the shipping to the UK is ridiculously expensive now, but even with that these are a tremendous bargain. I'm not holding out hope they'll actually honour these prices however.

The US and UK Amazons have cancelled pricing errors in the past, so I wouldn't be on it. The one previous Amazon Canada pricing error I was able to capitalize on - the complete series of Treme on Blu for $15 x 2 - was honoured, so fingers crossed. But this is a much bigger fuck up.

I was going to order a couple that included DVDs but the shipping to Europe is completely nuts. The BRs are all limited to region A, annoyingly.

The prices don't seem that great to me. Only a couple under $20

Exactly, these are normal Amazon prices. Just wait for their 50% off sale.

The prices have changed now!

When I got them it was around 1.75 euros per Bluray!!!

That was crazy!

If that was the case I would have bought all of the ones I didn't own :P

I just bought 4.

The shipping was insane, and I bought as much as I could with the sum I already had in my prepaid card (and was keeping for the A.I. release)

Don't Canadian Blu Rays have modified back covers where all the text has to be shown in both English and French, so they have to remove images and text that are used on the original USA Blu Rays in order to fit everything?

From what I've been told the Canadian Criterion BLurays, are identical to the US ones.

Not even a new logo of the company that releases them in Canada is on them.

I specifically asked about this matter, because I didn't want surprises with French covers, alternate packaging etc..

UPDATE: All orders were cancelled as expected!