So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

No, it's just another example of excellent director doing a kind of continuation of something really great after many years, in a different era of filmmakeing. We've seen them fail way too many times...

But I sure do miss s-f movie by Ridley Scott.

But I can't be excited for s-f score by Marc Streitenfeld.

Karol

Even Russell must understand that his presence wouldn't be very fitting for an Alien Prequel. Maximus against the Alien King? The crowd would burst out in laughter.

But I can't be excited for s-f score by Marc Streitenfeld.

He impressed me with Robin Hood. His previous three scores were very much in the same vein and genre, so I was anticipating how he would handle the men in tights, and he did it quite well IMO. I'm sure he's capable of adapting to science fiction.

I just wonder if he'll ever work with any other director besides a Scott.

It's not that I hate the guy or his work (nor do I hate his Robin Hood), but he's following Goldsmith's footsteps. That's what I'm worried about.

Karol

The previous film in this universe that Scott directed was Alien. It'll authomatically make us compare the two. You can ignore the other films, but not that one. That's how I see it anyway.

Karol

Hannibal is brilliant. It even has appeal to Mr. Olivarez! But you can't deny their'd be an uproar here if Zimmer was announced to score.

I honestly still think it's possible, but Scott will probably still use Streitenfeld for 2 or 3 more films before he moves on.

I kind of wish he will go with someone else. Scott himself said Goldsmith's score is his personal favourite (which, of course, is ironic). I'd like him to be more adventurous (read: old fashioned).

Karol

Goldenthal?! Hmm, listen to how subtle and subdued the score of Alien sounds compared to Alien3, Drax. It's an almost silent score and you are pleading for Elliot 'overbearing' Goldenthal? Are you feeling okay?

Alex

He's capable of a subtle, yet cerebral atmosphere. I wouldn't want it to be exactly like Alien or Alien³, but I'd like to hear his creepy signatures, minus the latter score's tragic melodrama. Even Goldsmith blared out the scares and adrenaline when he wanted.

If not Goldenthal, then perhaps Don Davis.

Even then, they could always venture into the world of contemporary concert world. Wolfgang Rihm, Unsuk Chin and Martin Matalon to name but two, could provide a very compelling, startling score.

John Williams! After all, he was going to score the original Alien...

But some more realistic choices:

- Don Davis

- James Horner

- John Powell

- Michael Giacchino

- Bruce Broughton

Did Scott and Zimmer have some kind of falling out on 'Kingdom of Heaven'? I remember that Zimmer was supposed to score it, but then he swapped with Gregson-Williams for 'Over the Hedge.' It seemed like Scott and Zimmer were pretty in sync there for that five year stretch spanning from Gladiator to KoH. I'm no cheerleader, but I prefer him to Streitenfeld.

Anyone know anything about this?

Long as its not media ventures lot.

Streitenfeld is pretty damn close.

Not close, he is. Worked as Zimmer's personal assistant for years until he got his first gig on A Good Year.

He should have sticked to that job. By far he is the worst of Scott's composers.

Did Scott and Zimmer have some kind of falling out on 'Kingdom of Heaven'? I remember that Zimmer was supposed to score it, but then he swapped with Gregson-Williams for 'Over the Hedge.' It seemed like Scott and Zimmer were pretty in sync there for that five year stretch spanning from Gladiator to KoH. I'm no cheerleader, but I prefer him to Streitenfeld.

As far as I know, there were no disputes between Zimmer and Scott. It's fairly evident that Ridley doesn't like to stick with the same composer forever. He had his run with Vangelis, Goldsmith, Zimmer, and now Streitenfeld. I don't recall Zimmer being attached to Kingdom Of Heaven. Either way, Harry Gregson-Williams was never a part of Over The Hedge. That was his brother, Rupert. Zimmer produced that one as he pretty much does for all DreamWorks Animation films. Harry was pissed that Ridley replaced his music with Goldsmith and other composers without consulting him, so that's why they never worked again after that.

Not close, he is. Worked as Zimmer's personal assistant for years until he got his first gig on A Good Year.

He should have sticked to that job. By far he is the worst of Scott's composers.

He's not bad by any means, I think he's pretty damn good and has a unique compositional voice. Personally I would take his scores over Trevor Jones' G.I. Jane.

He's not bad by any means, I think he's pretty damn good and has a unique compositional voice.

I can't hear that yet. There are certain composers like Zimmer or Mansel who, despite lack of certain skills, can offer something substantial nonetheless. And there are ones who can't. Streitenfeld is one of the latter.

I've done this exact same thing with Morlock before, but these are clearly by the same composer to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFTeyBu_Pk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguiH0GChwc&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/sOWuRaL7W6w

...and for some reason the media code isn't working.

You can't paste "youtu.be" links into the tag, you have to use the full "www.youtube.com/watch?v=" links

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, there were no disputes between Zimmer and Scott. It's fairly evident that Ridley doesn't like to stick with the same composer forever. He had his run with Vangelis, Goldsmith, Zimmer, and now Streitenfeld. I don't recall Zimmer being attached to Kingdom Of Heaven. Either way, Harry Gregson-Williams was never a part of Over The Hedge. That was his brother, Rupert. Zimmer produced that one as he pretty much does for all DreamWorks Animation films. Harry was pissed that Ridley replaced his music with Goldsmith and other composers without consulting him, so that's why they never worked again after that.

He's not bad by any means, I think he's pretty damn good and has a unique compositional voice. Personally I would take his scores over Trevor Jones' G.I. Jane.

Personally, I wouldn't take EITHER. Why would we have to?

He hired Dario first, and the score was rejected (don't know if by him or some studio interference), on "A Good Year", so he might have Dario in mind, too.