Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

Have there been any recent rumors about Varese releasing a deluxe version? It's been almost a year since the movie came out and didn't Star Trek (2009) deluxe edition come out about a year later as well.

There really is no rumors about anything concerning Varese, since they don't have anyone post on any forums, they don't tease upcoming titles at all, and nothing from inside ever leaks out. That being said,

Star Trek 2009 was released on May 8, 2009, and Varese announced the Deluxe Edition of the score on May 31, 2010, available June 14, 2010.

Star Trek Into Darkness was released on May 16, 2013, so hopefully will announce a Deluxe Edition sometime soon!

it doesnt help that their single CD OST is even shorter than the usual OST

they should have at least included one of the Vengeance renditions

its clearly the sessions and not the final movie edit though

it used the album version of 'Meldmerized' for instance

but it does have the full Kronos ensemble, rather than what the OST had

"Kronos Wartet" is "Klingon Chase / Klingon Meeting" but on the OST there's a huge chunk edited out from it. On the OST it also tackles on the end of "Harrison Attacks".

yeah I realized that

just found it odd that that was the one (2) tracks they edited for the album

even 'Warp Core Values' is just 2 tracks pasted together (probably to make it sound less spoilerish)

"Warp Core Values" is edited on the OST correctly. The end build up of "Kirk's Choice" was dropped in the film. In fact the end of "Kirk's Choice" was tracked in "Harrison's Heart / Enter Vengeance" just before it showed the Vengeance dropping out of warp.

"Warp Core Values" is edited on the OST correctly. The end build up of "Kirk's Choice" was dropped in the film. In fact the end of "Kirk's Choice" was tracked in "Harrison's Heart / Enter Vengeance" just before it showed the Vengeance dropping out of warp.

It's actually the end of "Earthbound and Down, Part 2".

any idea what was tracked into the ending of 'Meldmerized?'

It sounds a lot like a section from "Harrison Brought On Board" but the trombone and string arrangement is different.

It's actually the end of "Earthbound and Down, Part 2".

Oh right. Actually the end of "Kirk's Choice" is pitch shifted and tackled as the opening for "Man Vs. Blaster" in the film.

The same YouTube user who posted the recording sessions for Into Darkness also posted (what I assume are) the recording sessions for Star Trek 2009. I knew they had removed most of the choir for the releases, but I never realized they had taken out so much. I wish they could have kept it--I love it!

^^ Yup, all the cues with choir are better with the choir. Such a damn shame Varese didn't want to pony up the money to include the choir on the Deluxe Edition.

^^ Yup, all the cues with choir are better with the choir. Such a damn shame Varese didn't want to pony up the money to include the choir on the Deluxe Edition.

Indeed or actually make it the INTENDED edition and not a personal edit... I hope one day Townson revisits the score and does a proper release of it.

Am I a the only one who spotted the Courage theme in the brass at 18:10?

I hadn't noticed it before, but I hear it now!

heck the movie removed the choir itself sometimes

like during 'Nero Sighted'

edit: wait is that a legitimate version of the choir-only Nero Fiddles/Narada Burns theme I hear in there?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, is it true that the Vulcan Theme appears at some point in this score? I'm holding off on listening till the sessions until later for various reasons but I'm curious about this.

The Vulcan Theme doesn't appears on the STID OST, but it's used in the film when Spock talks to Spock Prime

Official Into Darkness cue list

Official from where? Does this mean a complete release is coming soon?

Official Into Darkness cue list

Official from where? Does this mean a complete release is coming soon?

As mentioned by Jay, this is from the L2P (live to projection). It just so happens this list pretty much matches the stuff on the leak.

Sorry--I completely missed the "Intermission" part. That's what I get for looking at this on a phone...

yeah it just lacks the suites and splits up the Kronos cue even more

and some tracks at the start

guess those are merged together

Souce?

Just spoke to Giacchino. :)

Karol

We want to hear an audio recording or see a video or it didn't happen! ;)

About the release? He said they are definitely doing it. Not sure when. That's it.

As far as the Bafta meeting goes, it was great fun. They played Moving On in an arrangement for string quartet and piano. And later on Married Life for string quartet. He had a presentation on how scoring process works (based on Letting Go). And shared a lot of anecdotes (some of them we know). Didn't talk about Jurassic World at all. And restated he's not involved in any way in scoring new Star Wars film. It was really entertaining. Oh and he showed Carl Goes Up alternate with more robust music.

David Arnold was there, too. But we didn't manage to catch him. Giacchino was giving a lot of autographs and took his time to speak to each person.

Inky, i've got a picture but it's on fommes' camera.

Karol

Dear lord. I can't believe I had tickets to this and everything and managed to not go. This sucks

From the performance a few days ago. Seems that the opening titles actually were supposed to have a choir?

Interesting...could have been tracked from "End Credits (Part 3)" just slightly reworked.

You might think that, but it doesn't even appear in the film in this manner.

I always figured it was meant to have choir anyway. It sounds empty without it.

About the release? He said they are definitely doing it. Not sure when. That's it.

Glad to know an expanded release for STID is coming. I just hope it's handled better than Star Trek 2009.

• 1 month later...

With the new Blu-Ray coming out, it's said to include the iMax sequences. Does this mean we might get the earlier versions of "London Calling" and "Pranking The Natives"?

That's not referring to the imax preview shown before MI4; That's referring to the actual scenes in the film itself that were filmed with imax cameras.