The Ugliest Looking Films Ever Made

Sharkissimo

Ugly by intention, or by accident?

Both. I'm pretty sure HUGO was intended to look beautiful, and honour the aesthetics of Georges Melles's silent films. Also, its DP (Robert Richardson) is one of my favourite modern cinematographers - so I don't know why it ended up so horrible.

Die Another Day.

Compared to other Bond films, it looks ass ugly. Gone was the travelogue, and it was replaced with drab colours, fake-looking sets and horrible CGI. There is no sense for local environments; Korea is made to look like a mudhole, we see next to nothing of "Havana", what we see of Iceland isn't visually attractive, and the rest takes place either in grey London, or on fake-looking sets.

Add to that the non-existent plot and a bored Brosnan, and you've got a terrible movie.

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

The Cat in the Hat

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Fifth Element

Fight Club

Little Monsters

Manos: The Hands of Fate

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Natural Born Killers

Sucker Punch

One of the HP films had that I forgot which one

You're probably thinking of Half-Blood Prince. I'm kind of mixed on its look. Some of it is quite evocative, other times it's just drab, though Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is even worse IMO.

Attack of the Clones. Just hideous. Everything that looked half-way decent was either drenched in mad orange or shit brown, and everything else was a shade of puke green mixed with bad CGI.

gUDdKgU.jpg

dSkIfBH.jpg

uI7URq9.jpg

That second image is one of the worst blue screen jobs I have seen in a modern film. They didn't even try.

That scene drives me insane, every time.

Both. I'm pretty sure HUGO was intended to look beautiful, and honour the aesthetics of Georges Melles's silent films. Also, its DP (Robert Richardson) is one of my favourite modern cinematographers - so I don't know why it ended up so horrible.

I loved Hugo's look, it's so far removed from Scorcese's other films. I don't know if you saw it theatrically, but in 3D it looked sumptuous. It doesn't quite have the same impact on a smaller screen, though.

I'm shocked no one's mentioned Battlefield Earth. Ugly filters and horrific Dutch angles.

Yeah, I really loved Hugo in 3D. Haven't seen it since, but I don't find anything especially ugly about those stills Shark posted.

I don't know if I can ever bring myself to watch Battlefield Earth.

Finding Forrester (2000).

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981)

I can't think of anything else. I think I remember the good better than the bad.

Wait! I can't stand the Tony Scott look.

Alex

The Avengers is a pretty ugly looking film. Or, better yet, most unimpressive looking blockbuster ever - belongs to cheap s-f TV almost. It's hugely entertaining, though.

Karol

If movies that are depicting a horribly dreary and austere time and place count, then The Lives Of Others. Depressing to look at to the extent that any 'uplift' that the movie was attempting to convey was killed stone dead for me. Similarly, Children Of Men.

I loved Hugo's look, it's so far removed from Scorcese's other films. I don't know if you saw it theatrically, but in 3D it looked sumptuous.

I saw it in its cinema run in 3D. I'm sorry, but I don't understand what's sumptuous about it. It's got that nasty orange and teal look so common today, along with a sickening digital sheen. Garish and totally charmless, HUGO has more in common with the most wanton contemporary videogame aesthetics than any painting I've ever seen.

Now THIS is fucking sumptuous.

T2.jpg

Tess (Geoffrey Unsworth)

Fuzzy and lacking in sharpness and detail. Thankfully that went away in the 80's.

Um, no. It still persisted then. Allen Daviau, Alan Hume, Caleb Deschanel etc. Remember Peter Suschitzky's beautiful soft-lit, diffused work on THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, lacking in sharpness and detail?

It's from an age when cinematographers were inspired by great painters, and not you know, dire high-key TV aesthetics...

BTW, what you're looking at there is a fog filter. The last film to prominently use fog filters was STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME.

To educate yourself, please read The Moviegoing Experience, 1968-2001 by Richard W. Haines, and in the mean time sod off.