The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Another variant is the Reel and Part division which is in essence the same as e.g. 1M2 just expressed R1P2:

R1P1 The Township of Eastwick

R2P2 It's Raining

R2P3 Darryl's Entrance

R2P4 Must Have Been Dreaming

R3P1 Dropped Flower Pot

R3P2 Shop Lady Forgets

R3P4 What's In a Name

R4P1The Seduction of Alex

etc. etc.

34 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Another variant is the Reel and Part division which is in essence the same as e.g. 1M2 just expressed R1P2:

R1P1 The Township of Eastwick

R2P2 It's Raining

R2P3 Darryl's Entrance

R2P4 Must Have Been Dreaming

R3P1 Dropped Flower Pot

R3P2 Shop Lady Forgets

R3P4 What's In a Name

R4P1The Seduction of Alex

etc. etc.

Inky, what's IT'S RAINING? There's no music in the film, for this sequence. Is it an unreleased cue? 

Yes it is unreleased and unused material as is Dropped Flower Pot.

54 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So it used to be based on actual physical reels, but now the reels are metaphorical but they still use the same cuing system?  Strange.

I think this was an older system. The example above is from The Witches of Eastwick from 1987.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:52 PM, Fal said:

@TheGreyPilgrim @Bartokus Novus@karelm In Anduril: Flame of the West, are those  Bassoons doubling the horns and giving it that soft "Mmoh" sound?

Would you like to include a link with a time stamp of exactly what you are asking about? 

No bassoons at that moment I think.  The harmony is in violas, cellos, basses, and horns 3-5, with a bit of harp.

Much of the "hum" at least as I hear it comes from the characteristically unexpected inversions Shore uses.  Putting the basses on the right note like that can impart a great warmth.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

No bassoons at that moment I think.  The harmony is in violas, cellos, basses, and horns 3-5, with a bit of harp.

Much of the "hum" at least as I hear it comes from the characteristically unexpected inversions Shore uses.  Putting the basses on the right note like that can impart a great warmth.

I am referring to that warm horn sound, more "moorhh" and less "nenn" or "meehh".....

Atleast that is how I would hum it

Basically,  I was wondering if that sound is achieved via orchestration, or through playing technique/alteration of the instrument.

So, I tried to forget all of my musical knowledge at once and ...

When entering the eight note in grey, make sure you're not clicking too close to the quarter note that precedes it. For reference, exit note entry mode (hotkey N) for Sibelius to automatically fill in the missing rests. You should enter the eight note by entering it "on top" of the first rest to follow the quarter note. The space between the quarter note and that rest is reserved for the quarter note - in short, longer notes take up more visual space.

13 hours ago, Fal said:

@karelm around 0:17

There are soft trombones in there too. That soft resonate choral sound.  Sort of like this except JW is going for a different emotion...more reverential:

Thanks...going through a bit of a rediscovery of Barry at the moment. I had forgotten how good High Road to China is (and how much you can hear it in OOA).

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of QQs about STAR TREK V:

1/ Whose is the extra face in the deleted Mt. Rushmore scene?

2/ where does the Rockman music come from? It sounds very Rosenman, to me. BENEATH THE POTA, or BATTLE FOR THE POTA, perhaps? Anyone? 

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

A couple of QQs about STAR TREK V:

1/ Whose is the extra face in the deleted Mt. Rushmore scene?

According to the novelization of the film, the African-American President was Sarah Susan Eckert, elected prior to the 2280s. The novelization sees Sulu and Chekov lost near Mount Rushmore, though this reference is cut from the film, so it implies they're at Yosemite too. 

Here's a fun QQ: can anyone identity all the various music cues in the full trailer for ST:TMP?

I hear some Goldsmith, some Williams? and something from the animated series. Are there any more? Happy listening!

There is one with music from Black Sunday (by John Williams), Marathon Man (by Michael Small) and Islands in the Stream (by Jerry Goldsmith).