Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Paul McGann is BBC canon as the 8th doctor for sure.  He appeared in the web mini-episode, "The Night of the Doctor" just 3 years ago!  The only "undesignated" Doctor is the one "The Day of the Doctor" introduced as his wartime-only incarnation (John Hurt), which is who McGann regenerated into.  I'm sure you know that, my main point is that Paul McGann is definitely a number-designated doctor.

McGann toasts his Big Finish audio adventures companions during The Night Of The Doctor, making them canon too.     

On 15/07/2016 at 5:46 PM, Jay said:

First pic from Season 4

13680163_864682846965645_529228536977075

Also, there's this:

Next series of Sherlock could be last, BBC show's creator warns

Martin Freeman's ageing badly. 

I thang yew. 

I have a vague memory of being sort of tired of this show by the end of S3 that made me skip Abominable Bride.  I need to revisit S3 as well and see if I still feel that way.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Season 3 might be the best one.  The wedding episode is an all time classic

That's my favourite one. It has everything i love about the show, friendship, mystery, suspense and it's piss-your-pants funny.

Humor has always been an aspect of writing where Moffat really excels.  To me one of the most notable step ups in writing quality from RTD-era Who to Moffat-era Who was the improvement in the humor of the show.  Because man, when RTD-era tried to be funny it could so cringeworthy.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

and it's piss-your-pants funny.

Sure, but I was specifically reacting to this comment of yours so it'd be a little weird to post that reaction in a different thread....

Also, Sherlock and Who are practically joined at the hip! Moffat!  Gatiss! Many of the same directors! Sherlock is basically the Doctor with Aspergers!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Mary from Sherlock is essentially River Song.

Yeah Moffat definitely has a thing for confident, mysterious women that hide their true feelings/origins.

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He relies on certain character and story elements that appear time and again in his writings. Notice how the way the 11th Doc and Amy Pond meet is pretty much the same as 4 and Madame De Pompadour.

10. 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ten. 

I found Season 3 of Sherlock patchy and was extremely irritated by The Abominable Bride's 'rug-pull' an hour in, so Season 4's got some work to do as far as I'm concerned (I'll admit it looks good from the trailer, but that's what trailers are meant to do). 

I like a lot of what Moffat does in Doctor Who, but certain aspects have begun to really grate (his reluctance to just let deaths be deaths and his at times unnecessarily convoluted plotting, for instance). I'm keen to see what Chris Chibnall will bring, but 2018's still a way off yet.  

I've become disenchanted with Moffat on Who. He seems to no longer be able to just tell a story. Everything depends on plot twists, sudden surprises and story arc revelations.

On Sherlock this works brilliantly, since thats pretty much in the DNA of the show. But Who should be more then just that. I also hope Chibnall will hire writers who not only cater to the demand of lifelong Doctor Who fanboys.

4 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I found Season 3 of Sherlock patchy and was extremely irritated by The Abominable Bride's 'rug-pull' an hour in, so Season 4's got some work to do as far as I'm concerned (I'll admit it looks good from the trailer, but that's what trailers are meant to do). 

I like a lot of what Moffat does in Doctor Who, but certain aspects have begun to really grate (his reluctance to just let deaths be deaths and his at times unnecessarily convoluted plotting, for instance). I'm keen to see what Chris Chibnall will bring, but 2018's still a way off yet.  

Based on his wonderful work writing Broadchurch S1 (less said about S2, the better) I'm hoping Chibnall brings an emotional, human center back to the show.  This is something RTD-era had in spades but Moffat hasn't really bothered with.  I think it comes down to who the showrunner considers to be the main character.  RTD clearly thought it was the companion(s) while Moffat leaned toward the Doctor.  I tend to find DW more compelling when it treats the companion as the center of the show.

But now I really am veering into "this belongs in the Doctor Who thread" territory :P

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I enjoyed both Broadchurch series 1 and 2 (though 2 seemed to be flogging a dead horse at some points). It certainly has solid character writing.

And Arthur Darvill!  Yay Rory!

I also think Sherlock is better when it treats Watson as the main character instead of Holmes (which it does most of the time).  The inhumanly amazing (literally for the Doctor) protagonist show is better when viewed through an audience surrogate I guess.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Based on his wonderful work writing Broadchurch S1 (less said about S2, the better) I'm hoping Chibnall brings an emotional, human center back to the show.  This is something RTD-era had in spades but Moffat hasn't really bothered with.  I think it comes down to who the showrunner considers to be the main character.  RTD clearly thought it was the companion(s) while Moffat leaned toward the Doctor.  I tend to find DW more compelling when it treats the companion as the center of the show.

But now I really am veering into "this belongs in the Doctor Who thread" territory :P

Hmmm ... while I'd agree the companion plays an important part, for me the centre should be the Doctor. He's a 2000 year old alien traveller in time and space (who does so in a ship that looks like a 60s Police Box) whose body regenerates when it dies, all of which easily makes him the most compelling character in the show.     

Well, originally it was apparently intended as a question ... 'Doctor Who?' (as referenced during Matt Smth's tenure). But the show's closing credits call him 'Doctor Who' from Hartnell through to Tom Baker, only changing to 'The Doctor' with Peter Davison (and there's the likes of the Third Doctor's classic car 'Bessie' having 'Who 1' as its numberplate and 'Who 7' when it appeared with McCoy).

Even in interviews nowadays, Capaldi will alternate between calling the character 'The Doctor' and 'Doctor Who'.      

• 2 months later...

So 2017 will see Moffat's Doctor Who tenure ending as well Sherlock? I'll be very interested to see what he gets up to next (I bet he tries to break into movies, personally).

I also don't really think this will be the last series though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was at the very least a standalone TV film in 2020 or something.

If this is the last series, I really hope it improves. Most of last season was far too meta and self aware for my tastes. Like the creators got a little too pleased with themselves and the whole thing ended up being too clever by half.

Would love Sherlock to get back to how it was during the first 2 series, and for Moffat to resist the temptation to reach for his 'Big Book Of Overly Complicated Scripting' as he oversees his final season of Who. 

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes. Bring back JNT.

We could if Moffat had written it, because he wouldn't really be dead.  

Coupling was great!  Sherlock he JUST gets by with it, it really is built into the framework of the show from the beginning.  Haven't seen any of his Who other than his two Eccleson episodes