The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

The computers that read Scantron tests were guaranteed to always read #2 lead, so it became standard. But it was still critical to completely fill in the circle with no spill outside of the circle.

I'm sure you could've used different shades of pencil or not filled it in as much and still been fine, but they made such mundane rules to teach little kids to follow mundane rules.

I think it has something to do with the softness of the graphite in the pencil. I believe the lower the number, the softer the graphite. You would use low numbers for shading and high numbers for detail.

The other way around, actually, if you're on the B scale.

There's also H, which is actually harder.

HB is a regular pencil, 2H is what one would use for technical drawings (which have to be rather accurate) and 2B is what you would use for sketching (because it requires less pressure to get a line on the paper). The scales run up both ways.

Whatever happened to those who ordered the last batch of Varese Clubs? I recall they shipped on April 6th. Anyone get Howard's Russkies? I want to know what you think.

I finally received Nightwing last week (shipped on the 13th - more than a week after they started shipping) so they're not exactly pushing them out the door.

When BATMAN FOREVER came out in 95, I remember buying the U2 single, which had a B-side of music from the film. I remember it started with the second half of 'Main Title and Fanfare' and continued with the new theme, as heard in 'Fledermausmarschmusik', which I believe is how it was scored in the opening of the film. Can anyone confirm this, and was this an edit or was that technically a piece that was left off the score?

In Star Trek III (and I think IV?) the Genesis Tape has been rerecorded with Kirk replacing Carol Marcus. Yet, III is set right after II, so when would he really have time to do this and why? It wasn't a Federation proposal, it was a proposal to the Federation itself, and includes no information about the Genesis planet,. Am I missing something, or did this have something to do with having to pay Bibi Besch for her performance again?

That's a good question. Memory Alpha doesn't say anything about this. It probably was because Paramount didn't want a Godfather Part II or Superman II situation, where they reprise a main character's vocals in a sequel without paying the actor (and this was years before Universal did it anyways with Back to the Future Part II), and thus face a lawsuit.

I think I just always assumed that Kirk just restated the Genesis tapes as part of one of his Captain's Logs, so he wouldn't have to refer to Carol's propsal as a second document. That log would go on file with Starfleet, explaining its usage at the beginning of Star Trek IV when the Klingon ambassador goes off about Kirk, but it doesn't explain how it fell into Klingon hands for Star Trek III. They would have had to intercept the signal, anyways, to learn about the Genesis project in the first place, which makes sense from a Cold War perspective, of the Klingons (Russians) eavesdropping on Federation (American) transmissions, and vice versa.

• 1 month later...

Quick question... I just received the Intrada Signature Edition of Re-Animator/Ghoulies. Why do they call it a Signature Edition, and not one of their Special Collection releases? What makes it a "signature edition"? In collectibles like Star Wars prop replicas, Signature Edition items are usually autographed by an actor or filmmaker.

Quick question... I just received the Intrada Signature Edition of Re-Animator/Ghoulies. Why do they call it a Signature Edition, and not one of their Special Collection releases? What makes it a "signature edition"? In collectibles like Star Wars prop replicas, Signature Edition items are usually autographed by an actor or filmmaker.

The answer is at Intrada.

Signature

A series focusing on music by important composers for select projects scored between higher profile films.

Excalibur focuses on re-recordings and the Special Collection scores are the regular mainstream releases.

In Star Trek III (and I think IV?) the Genesis Tape has been rerecorded with Kirk replacing Carol Marcus. Yet, III is set right after II, so when would he really have time to do this and why? It wasn't a Federation proposal, it was a proposal to the Federation itself, and includes no information about the Genesis planet,. Am I missing something, or did this have something to do with having to pay Bibi Besch for her performance again?

About Star Trek III. As happy as I am to have Nimoy back for IV and, to a lesser degree, V and VI -- how the anti-matter that destroyed Genesis doesn't affect his resurrected cells?

The answer is at Intrada.

Signature

A series focusing on music by important composers for select projects scored between higher profile films.

Excalibur focuses on re-recordings and the Special Collection scores are the regular mainstream releases.

Thanks for the info, Mark. I guess I'm still confused at how Re-animator got selected for a Signature release. What higher profile work did Richard Band do beyond Re-Animator? Oh well... splitting hairs I guess. Still, a fine release and a fun listen.

Hey, I have a quick question.

This is a hilarious cover version of the oldie "Let's Twist Again"!

I have 2 questions:

1. Some parts of it are sung, I believe, in a foreign language. Is it in Polish?

2. At 1:07 the guy starts singing a different song ("laaaa-lalalalalala etc."). It's very short, but recognizable. What is this song called?

:blink:

1. Some parts of it are sung, I believe, in a foreign language. Is it in Polish?

I assume it's Polish, because the uploader, pajczukin, says he's 28 from Poland. There are Poles here who can confirm.

2. At 1:07 the guy starts singing a different song ("laaaa-lalalalalala etc."). It's very short, but recognizable. What is this song called?

Crocodile Rock, by Elton John

It's at 1:07 here, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7Ws67XSHM...=PL&index=6

Does anyone have a WAV or mp3 of George Takei saying "OH MY!"? I've tried googling but come up short.

Does anyone have a WAV or mp3 of George Takei saying "OH MY!"? I've tried googling but come up short.

I think this guy has it down pat. Too much feedback, though.

Okay, this was pretty surprising to me. I was in Best Buy the other day and came across a DVD box-set of The M-Squad. All I know about this show is that Johnny Williams composed a little music for it. I have the music, but I never knew there was an actual CD. On the back of the box it said it included a CD with music from the show. Does anyone have this or know anything more about it?

I have a quick question concerning this SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE trailer.

What's the name of this orchestral cue that starts at 1:10? Is that original music composed by A.R. Rahman? Or is it from another movie?

Thanks (if you can tell me the answer)! :)

Hey, I have a quick question.

This is a hilarious cover version of the oldie "Let's Twist Again"!

I have 2 questions:

:)

1) It's not Polish, it's just English sung with over-the-top Polish accent and couple of nosense words to maintain the rhythm :blink:

What's the name of this orchestral cue that starts at 1:10? Is that original music composed by A.R. Rahman? Or is it from another movie?

It's the ubiquitous Hoppipolla by the Icelandic band Sigur Ros.

A great song, but yes, ever since it's use in the Children Of Men trailer it is everywhere.

Thanks (if you can tell me the answer)! :lol:

Ahhh yes. Thanks a lot! :)

What's the difference between the Theme from Sabrina and the reprise? The reprise is longer, but why? Is it the complete definitive piece?

No. There's some additional material added at the end...

Have to listen to it again. But I prefer the 1st track.

Just how many novel adaptations did John Williams score?

Munich

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Harry Potter

Minority Repor

Angela's Ashes

Seven Years In Tibet

Sleepers

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Hook

Empire of the Sun

Dracula

The Fury

Black Sunday

Jane Eyre

Family Plot

Jaws

The Eiger Sanction

The Cowboys

The Long Goodbye

Goodbye Mr Chips

The Reivers

Heidi

I probably missed a few.

You are correct, you did miss some. Catch Me If You Can was based on a book, and Minority Report and A.I. were based on short stories, I believe. I have a feeling that the list is still not complete....

I would not really consider Hook a novel adaptation, though.

Also, Penelope.

Yay for late replies.

Does anyone know where the unused "Eddie" cue from Who Framed Roger Rabbit fits in chronological order? I'm pretty sure the "Around the Neighborhood" unused cue was supposed to come right after the "Downtown L.A." cue, but "Eddie" has me stumped. Part of me is thinking it was meant to go under the scene of Maroon hiring Eddie, and part of me is thinking it's after "Downtown L.A." and "Around the Neighborhood" cues (correct me if I'm wrong on "Around the Neighborhood," by the way).

So we all have those little questions sometimes that you want the answer to, but you don't think they need a whole thread. Well, this is the thread for those questions!

And to start: What should I get: The A New Hope soundtrack from 1997, or 2004? The tracklists are the same, but the '04 says it's remastered... which is better, though?

If you have the 1997 c.d.s, don't bother geting the 2004 ones, as the quality is ever so slightly better, but not much. Actually, the 1993 Anthology sounds a lot better all round, but, of course, you don't get all the music.

I just keep the 1993 Anthology beside the 1997 Special Edition sets as companion pieces to the larger Star Wars tapestry of music. I've never been able to hear noticeable defects in the Special Edition soundtracks that disrupt my listening enjoyment, because I don't know where they are and I'm not savvy enough of a technical listener.

I'm much more interested in the musical differences between the two editions. A horn solo here, a grand pause there, something that makes the differences between tracks much more noticable. Such as between "Faking the Code" from 1993 and "Shuttle Tyderium" from 1997, the solo horn wail in the 1997 that isn't there in 1993. The grand pause when Biggs dies in "Battle of Yavin" that is just skipped over in 93's "The Last Battle" medley.

Besides, my dad spent over $60 for the Anthology at least a decade ago, so I owe it to him to continue to listen to it, in addition to the SE's. I saw it for $25 a few weeks ago used, but didn't get it.

Well, I'm still in the process of hacking my SE albums up into shorter tracks. I think I split up the Hoth Battle into at least two smaller tracks, and maybe one of the ROTJ battle tracks lent itself that way, too. The key edit was to hack the alternate main titles from Binary Sunset into separate tracks.

Which reading of Romeo and Juliet should I get, the Maazel performance, or the Andre Previn recording?

I'll bite, Prokofiev or Tchaikovsky?

I recommend going to your local library and seeing if you can check out a CD (or a dozen) and compare for yourself.

Tchaikovsky wrote a "fantasy overture" about 20 minutes in length, while Prokofiev composed a full ballet. And, some will say that if you have the right Horner scores, you have Prokofiev's version (i.e. "The Death of Tybalt" in "Stealing the Enterprise").

I'll bite, Prokofiev or Tchaikovsky?

The good one, of course! ( By which I mean Prokofiev.) Apparently, both the Previn and Maazel are great recordings, but I have only enough money for one of them.

I don't know the Maazel, but the Previn seems very good to me. Ozawa has been recommended, but I'm usually not too impressed by him. You're talking about the full version, I hope.

That's not to say that Tchaikovsky's R&J Fantasy Overture isn't any good, because it is. I don't think I've listened to Prokofiev's ballet yet in one sitting.

I tend to get flak for this, but I cannot listen to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture. Perhaps television is to blame, but the Love Theme severely irritates me. I find Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet to be far better. Also, it has "Dance of the Knights".

There's no denying that it's been played so often it borders on being overplayed, and has become almost cliche for big introductory scenes of a love interest. But Tchaikovsky's my favorite classical composer so I'm more sympathetic to this.

I found a recording of Charles Fox conducting Goldsmith's works in Japan, and for the penultimate piece he conducts his own track, 'Killing Me Softly'. Anyone know if the arrangement he conducts is his own, or is it Jerry's? It sounds very much like Jerry, to the point where it could have come straight from one of his scores.

I have 3 quick questions, or, rather 3 quick questions, and one that, I suspect, will probably take a little longer to answer. Here goes:

1/ on my copy of "Cinderella Liberty"/"The Reivers", there is a jazzy arrangement of the "Cinderella..." Love Theme. Does anyone know who recorded it, and when (it is definately a modern recording).

2/ does anyone know what the "overture" to "The Towering Inferno" is on the 2-disc set. I saw this film at the cinema, and there was no overture, nor entr'act, nor exit music (though it did have the most brilliant intermission point that I have ever seen!).

3/ what is the music in the second half of the "Lost World" trailer (Zimmer, perhaps?).

...and lastly 4/ why, oh why, does "...Jedi" sound sooooooo awful? Even the 1993 anthology doesn't sound too good, but the 1997/2004 re-issues are just terrible.

I have 3 quick questions, or, rather 3 quick questions, and one that, I suspect, will probably take a little longer to answer. Here goes:

1/ on my copy of "Cinderella Liberty"/"The Reivers", there is a jazzy arrangement of the "Cinderella..." Love Theme. Does anyone know who recorded it, and when (it is definately a modern recording).

2/ does anyone know what the "overture" to "The Towering Inferno" is on the 2-disc set. I saw this film at the cinema, and there was no overture, nor entr'act, nor exit music (though it did have the most brilliant intermission point that I have ever seen!).

3/ what is the music in the second half of the "Lost World" trailer (Zimmer, perhaps?).

...and lastly 4/ why, oh why, does "...Jedi" sound sooooooo awful? Even the 1993 anthology doesn't sound too good, but the 1997/2004 re-issues are just terrible.

#3: I think you mean Hans Zimmer's "Backdraft".