First clip from The Force Awakens, containing Williams score premieres during American Music Awards

Not Mr. Big

Not going to lie I was scared about this score. I thought it would be tamed down. But this is a William's score! It sounds exciting and I can't wait to hear more. Lets hope the rest is as good as this :)

Finally someone has heard the score before formulating a view. Link please...

https://youtu.be/SIaFtAKnqBUenjoy

Thanks, I agree this score is outstanding, possibly his best yet. John Williams is a baaaaad ass.

Clearly that's some kind of choir based cue, originating from Sanskrit lyrics. It's makes an excellent companion piece to Duel of the Fates.

An arrangement for DOTF already exists, and was written by Williams as a bonus track for the upcoming Episode I Sony Ultimate Edition soundtrack:

Yes. Only Williams is to blame if his music sounds like shit.

Unless Shawn Murphy mixed it.

Artificial-Intelligence-AI_ost.JPG

C'mon, don't be so hard on the guy. I mean, he managed to record A.I. with the orchestra playing live inside a hurricane.

Where did you hear arabian flavouring in this clip? I didn't.

By the way it isn't like KOTCS. It sounds like an action cue from The Minority Report or The Attack of the Clones.

That's better, but still nowhere near his best.

Yes his musical style may be evolving, but it's not certain for the better. He may've reached his best form between 1975 and 1993 when he wrote masterpiece after masterpiece. Since then - with new orchestrators - his style changed and I'm not sure for the better. He is still very good, John Williams of course, but not the same he was before. That's not a bad thing, but I think he created his best scores between '75 and '93.

I hope Abrams wanted something similar to Return of the Jedi and asked Williams to evolve from that score.

And orchestration is very important.

Williams does a lot of the orchestration himself, but a good orchestrator can elevate a score with clever solutions. Herbert W. Spencer was a wonderful orchestrator who made Williams' great scores greater.

Just to clarify:

It's Williams' orchestrations, whether they be penned in full score by Spencer, Pope, Neufeld, Karam etc. The difference in style has only to do with Williams' preferences.

These have become less contingent on romantic-mid 20th century techniques (Tchaikovsky-Shostakovich-Polish 60s avant-garde) as Williams' own style matured (which is also why "Star Wars" is the least Williams-esque of the star wars scores). You may like or dislike his artistic evolution, but don't blame the orchestrators for his choices; they're his, not theirs.

This.

Jim you need to take a look at some of Williams' sketches that have leaked. They contain complete orchestration information. For Williams scores, the credited orchestrators are little more than glorified copyists. They would tell you that themselves.

Sure, a score could have a cue or two JW doesn't have time to fully orchestrate himself. But that's the exception not the rule.

Jay, I'm aware that Williams orchestrates his own music, and his orchestrator(s) help him (only?...) speed up the writing process for the scores, but let's not underestimate the work of the orchestrator either, if I may suggest.

If John Williams, like Howard Shore, writes music in the old fashioned way in terms of orchestrating it all by himself, all the better and I'm very happy about it. Then the change of the sounding of his scores can only be explained either by the evolvement of his orchestrational style or my deaf ears. It's possible that he himself began to change the orchestrations, and the mixer put emphasis on different isntrumental sections, I don't know. In the end, it's all a matter of taste. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer his older, (for the lack of a better word) richer orchestrations, á la Star Wars IV-VI, Superman, Indiana Jones-trilogy, E.T.

I think he probably is hearing a change in recording technique too. Less punchy and dry, so maybe "smaller" sounding?

Are you referring to me? Yes, perhaps that's the case. Maybe the recording techniques have changed too over the years, becoming more sophisticated (digital) and Williams' orchestrational technique has changed also... Would only this be the reason? Maybe, maybe not.

Those 15 seconds were the only moment Disney gave Williams the opportunity to do what he wanted. The rest of the score is RCP-like.

link ;)

I'ts okay guys because yours truly is going to be seeing the movie at midnight on the 17th ;) so I can tell you how the score fairs haha

• 4 weeks later...