La-La Land announces Home Alone (Complete)

Jay

1. Somewhere in My Memory † 3:24

(Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra

# Somewhere in my Memory (Boston Pops) - [03:47]

Wasn't on original album.

I guess track 1 on the La-La Land release is track 1 on the CBS release minus the first one and a half minutes.

Home Alone has always had a special place in my heart. I watched it like 40 times when I was a kid. And the theme always puts a smile on my face. I'll go for this for sure!

I'm very happy about this since Home Alone is one of my favorite scores and I've been rallying for this since we got the Varese Home Alone 2, one of the very first limited edition CD's I ever bought in this great decade of JW CD releases (but seemingly terrible in every other regard).

It's not Hook, but if I understand correctly, it's basically confirmed for next year.

But anyway, I can now stop wishing for this every night before bed while promising I won't be a pain in the butt and imagining having Listening to Carson on CD. Wishes do come true!

I will lodge a complaint with this and it's that I'll need to have someone edit it for me. Notice that the film version of the swing to the treehouse is only as the insert segment as opposed to edited into the score proper. This also irked me in the Superman set, how the film version of Can You Read My Mind was only a separate segment and not available in a film version track with the Flying Sequence (while the album version was presented??). Basically, you have to edit it, and I don't edit my music.

Otherwise, this looks completely amazing.

Figures this would be released the day after I order the OST. :D

(And that my internet connection would slow to such a crawl before entirely shutting down for the better part of the day so I couldn't cancel it before it shipped!)

Of course, I'll just have to get this one too now, fantastic release that it is with the time of year and all that.

Guess I should have ordered Hook instead. :mellow:

For those interested, I did a cue breakdown for Josh on Jaws 2 for the music heard in the film.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14277&st=0&p=388820&hl=+jaws%20+2&fromsearch=1entry388820

Home Alone is a welcome release, I was surprised to see Williams' name attached when this film was first released and I've always wanted a complete release minus the already available commercial songs.

I'm very happy about this since Home Alone is one of my favorite scores and I've been rallying for this since we got the Varese Home Alone 2, one of the very first limited edition CD's I ever bought in this great decade of JW CD releases (but seemingly terrible in every other regard).

It's not Hook, but if I understand correctly, it's basically confirmed for next year.

But anyway, I can now stop wishing for this every night before bed while promising I won't be a pain in the butt and imagining having Listening to Carson on CD. Wishes do come true!

I will lodge a complaint with this and it's that I'll need to have someone edit it for me. Notice that the film version of the swing to the treehouse is only as the insert segment as opposed to edited into the score proper. This also irked me in the Superman set, how the film version of Can You Read My Mind was only a separate segment and not available in a film version track with the Flying Sequence (while the album version was presented??). Basically, you have to edit it, and I don't edit my music.

Otherwise, this looks completely amazing.

I'll give the edit a shot...but as Good Musician said, it maybe a bit too much of a hassle to do a proper edit.

I find I'm one of the few who like Home Alone 2 better, but I am really anxious to get this and hopefully have this first score impress me more as a complete recording. And I'm crazy for Christmas music and Christmas scores in general.

But I have a feeling Home Alone will not last nearly as long. I think the complete soundtrack market has been expanding drastically, in spite of the economy. Plus, La La Land seems a little better at advertising.

Not to mention that they offer discounts if you order multiple releases. I'm sure almost everyone will be picking up more than just 1 of the 4 titles. I'm tempted to get all 4, but I'll need to hear samples of Jade and Trek.

I find I'm one of the few who like Home Alone 2 better

I find that so strange in a way. I rewatched Home Alone again today and I still think that by far the music is better in Home Alone 2. Not saying this release isn't worthwhile, I just mean in comparison. I thought Williams improved a lot of the themes and sound much bigger and more exciting. I guess 2 is more for people who like bigger and more exciting scores with big statements. The first one is a lot more mellow. Just a matter of preference I think.

But I have a feeling Home Alone will not last nearly as long. I think the complete soundtrack market has been expanding drastically, in spite of the economy. Plus, La La Land seems a little better at advertising.

Not to mention that they offer discounts if you order multiple releases. I'm sure almost everyone will be picking up more than just 1 of the 4 titles. I'm tempted to get all 4, but I'll need to hear samples of Jade and Trek.

In a way Movie Music also offers discounts. Well you buy 3-CD's and have the option of $1 shipping which takes a week to get to you if you live in the United States. I know a few people here do that as well some from FSM.

I do agree with Henry that La-La Land is the best at advertisement of their releases and that Home Alone won't be around as long as people think it will.

Koray if you like Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture, them I'm extra sure you'd love The Final Frontier. It really is awesome. Don't let a subpar movie stop you from enjoying the awesome score. Goldsmith went above and beyond to make a golden score out of a subpar movie.

I am extremely happy to get a complete Home Alone score. Not only is it my favourite Christmas time score but it is such a lovely and varied score that really rises miles above the general comedy score fare. I guess the Christmas spirit with which Williams imbues everry track in one way or the other makes it so special. And somehow it taps the nostalgia of Christmas and childhood in the best possible way being just the right amount about the wonder and glitter of Christmas but balancing that with the sense of warmth, family and even a sense of melancholy and reverence.

I have to admit I have been hoping for this release for quite a long time. I think the Home Alone 2 complete release made me want the first score to be expanded as well to complete the set. It took 8 years between Home Alone 2 and this release but now we have both Christmas scores to enjoy and appreciate during the holiday season and beyond. :P

Should I order this from La-La Land or have they gotten their act together with shipping? All my previous orders arrived damaged. I don't want this looking like it went through Kevin's traps.

I find I'm one of the few who like Home Alone 2 better, but I am really anxious to get this and hopefully have this first score impress me more as a complete recording. And I'm crazy for Christmas music and Christmas scores in general.

I'm with you. It gets a bit tiring when anyone makes the old "why buy Home Alone 2... isn't it the same score?".

He reused a lot of ideas (but a. isn't that the idea of sequels and b. don't you think Columbus probably asked him to use the 'preparing the traps' again?) but it's not like he had William Ross adapt his score. He expanded upon the original and gave it a suitable feel for being set in New York, instead of a small Chicago suburb. I'm not sure if it gets any flack, but it doesn't deserve any.

Hmm. I have no interest in getting this. I've been neglecting complete and chronological releases (both in collecting and in listening) for a while now and the day has apparently come when an expanded Williams doesn't do anything for me. Wow.

I'm very happy for the rest of you, though.

I am extremely happy to get a complete Home Alone score. Not only is it my favourite Christmas time score but it is such a lovely and varied score that really rises miles above the general comedy score fare. I guess the Christmas spirit with which Williams imbues everry track in one way or the other makes it so special. And somehow it taps the nostalgia of Christmas and childhood in the best possible way being just the right amount about the wonder and glitter of Christmas but balancing that with the sense of warmth, family and even a sense of melancholy and reverence.

Perfectly stated. Williams, more than any other film composer, manages to capture that Christmas-sy sound. It just sparkles.

Hmm. I have no interest in getting this. I've been neglecting complete and chronological releases (both in collecting and in listening) for a while now and the day has apparently come when an expanded Williams doesn't do anything for me. Wow.

Another one...

Also, Walking Home without the chorus? Holy SHIT.

Home Alone 2 is not a retread of Home Alone, nor is it a deficient JW score. It's a very different style from the first. It's more like JW's Temple of Doom or 1941 mode. Very big, loud, unrelenting. But perhaps the kind of score you have to be in the right mood for. I can apply that to, say, 1941, a score that can be absolutely grating in the wrong frame of mind. But Home Alone and 2 are two of my very favorite JW scores.

Another one...

Another what?

Another one...

Another what?

Who has fallen from the purer faith. Complete scores are the only true path to the light, not some album experiences.

Another one...

Making a list? Check it twice.

Another one...

Ross was seduced by the dark side of the Thorce. (He ceased to be Ross Worinsky and became Elmo Lewis. When that happened, the good man who collected complete and chronological releases was destroyed.)

Shh! If you keep saying stuff like that loud, the board will crucify Thor!

The early 90s I think generally contained most of JW's best music of that decade. Home Alone and 2 are done. Now we require:

Hook - Easily the most important due to the sheer volume of music, to say nothing of its quality. But this is also my favorite. Pretty much confirmed for next year and we should keep La-La Land in business long enough to release it.

Jurassic Park - Yes, it needs to be done. Yes, the original CD is good. Well, if re-arranged. But this one I think demands complete and chronological.

JFK - I know there is some music missing. The film version of the Prologue is the highlight for me. I'm not entirely familiar with the music as presented in the movie, but I do recall from several viewings it was basically a disaster in regards to the mix and the editing. The Conspirators seemed to be tracked in all over the place. I also know this one has been OOP for years for no apparent reason. It seems primed for this style of release.

Schindler's List and Far and Away, however likely, would be warmly received.

They all seem ideal territory for LLL. I think the problem is more likely to be Williams allowing his material to be so well represented.

To be honest though, I'm waiting for anyone to start addressing the Varese atrocities of 1995 - 1999. That period contains some of the best action/adventure/disaster material by composers who have either passed on or have sold their soul to the MV devil.

The only reason I would buy this is if I start having regrets about listening to a Napster assemblage instead of a legitimate album. Until now, that in conjunction with the (purchased) HA2 album have sufficed.

We'll see how I feel on Tuesday. So far, ST5 is the only album I feel I must buy after placing a massive selfish order on Thursday.

Shh! If you keep saying stuff like that loud, the board will crucify Thor!

I wish nobody harm. I, too, am part of your battle for absolute completeness at least until a complete Hook is released.

Afterwards, you can all kiss my ass.

The early 90s I think generally contained most of JW's best music of that decade. Home Alone and 2 are done. Now we require:

Hook - Easily the most important due to the sheer volume of music, to say nothing of its quality. But this is also my favorite. Pretty much confirmed for next year and we should keep La-La Land in business long enough to release it.

Jurassic Park - Yes, it needs to be done. Yes, the original CD is good. Well, if re-arranged. But this one I think demands complete and chronological.

JFK - I know there is some music missing. The film version of the Prologue is the highlight for me. I'm not entirely familiar with the music as presented in the movie, but I do recall from several viewings it was basically a disaster in regards to the mix and the editing. The Conspirators seemed to be tracked in all over the place. I also know this one has been OOP for years for no apparent reason. It seems primed for this style of release.

Schindler's List and Far and Away, however likely, would be warmly received.

The film version of the Prologue in JFK is an edit that basically inserts a snippet of the Conspirators into the material during the Cuban Missile Crisis footage. There are a few repeated bars in the following flute interlude but it is obviously edited.

The music that comes after the Prologue where we see the woman thrown out of the car on a lonely country road and later see her in the hospital raving about the guys that are going to kill Kennedy is unreleased material with the ghostly flute rendition of the main theme. Williams actually used that material in his JFK concert suite.

The music in JFK is a huge editorial jumble. I guess the album contains most of the music but there are some unreleased passages in the film for sure. Like that aforementioned piece and a piano rendition of the Garrison family theme.

An Oliver Stone trilogy complete releases would be awesome.

And Jurassic Park most definitely.

Most importantly Hook!

An Oliver Stone trilogy complete releases would be awesome.

And Jurassic Park most definitely.

Most importantly Hook!

I'd much prefer one CD with unreleased highlights from BOTFJ, JFK and NIXON. This should be more than sufficient, who wants to spend 20-30$ to wade through hundreds of snippets of suspense music or the 100st alternate recording of the main theme?

HOOK has to come...i just realized that i don't even own my old really bad sounding complete complete bootleg anymore, which had the final battle and some ultrarare alternate versions of FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND and THE NEVER-FEAST.

JP is too long already and although it's 15 years since i last saw the film, there wasn't anything substantial left...even the T-Rex Chase was just a minute long.

I have a special fondness for the Oliver Stone trilogy so I would gladly buy complete releases of all of them.

BOTFJ has about an hour of score plus alternates. We only have 25 minutes of the score at the moment. So a complete score would offer considerable amount of new material.

JFK would benefit from an expanded version, not a collection of film edits of the existing pieces like Conspirators or Garrison's Witness that are all over the place in the film but a complete collection of what Williams recorded for the film presented in a rough chronological order if that is possible.

Nixon contains some exquisite lyrical pieces that were left off the OST. I would gladly have a complete score of that.

JP is a very strong album, despite the odd track order. I have a soft spot for the score as it was the one that introduced me to the whole film music phenomenon and it is a grand score but there are some excellent pieces aside from the T-Rex Chase that I would like to have.

The film version of the Prologue in JFK is an edit that basically inserts a snippet of the Conspirators into the material during the Cuban Missile Crisis footage. There are a few repeated bars in the following flute interlude but it is obviously edited.

The second part of the prologue sounds totally different from any rendition on the CD. The part where Kennedy talks about Vietnam and gives the speech. That's definitely unreleased.

JP is too long already and although it's 15 years since i last saw the film, there wasn't anything substantial left...even the T-Rex Chase was just a minute long.

It's not too long, it's just awkwardly sequenced. Within the individual tracks, combining cues from totally different parts of the movie does work well. But the album as a whole is out of balance, by the time you get to the middle, you get the feeling that you've already heard all the relevant material. That's not true, but while I now love all the gritty action stuff in the second half, it took years for these tracks to even register with me.

Sometimes, I'm wondering if Williams album sequencing strategies still focused on LPs up to at least the mid 90s. Side A would be all the stuff up to and including Welcome to Jurassic Park bookending that side. Side B would start with My Friend, the Brachiosaurus and finish with the end credits. I still think that when it comes to album arrangements and sequencing, Goldsmith made the far better choices.

I agree with Marian. The sequence of the OST is very odd. Not only do we get the End Credits in the middle of the CD, breaking up whatever narrative flow there might have been. It's fairly ineptly sequenced and has a cue that is simply redundant (the last one)

Really I assumed always that it's the second part from Welcome To Jurassic Park (same recording)

If it if it's not, it's so identical that the difference is NOT to be noticed.

The same can not be said for Theme From Jurassic Park.

Really I assumed always that it's the second part from Welcome To Jurassic Park (same recording)

If it if it's not, it's so identical that the difference is NOT to be noticed.

Ugh, you are right <_<