La La Land Records - New John Williams release coming Black Friday 2013 [UPDATE: June 2014] [Empire of the Sun]

JohnnyD

Hello. About a week ago, LLL officially posted a comment on the topic of the Maestro's latest score, The Book Thief.

Can't wait for this score, but I am bummed that one of our planned BLACK FRIDAY titles is now delayed until 2014 due to Mr Williams work on this project.

Well, at least we get a new work by him in 2013 and one expanded reissue in 2014!

MV

Just for fun, and in anticipation for this expanded release, anybody is free to take a guess at what score will be given

the expanded treatment for this release.

The Eiger Sanction..!

No not that one! I am going to buy the OST soon and I don't want to double dip. ;)

(Actually that would be another great one, both the score and the album on a double disc would be ideal)

Wasn't The Cowboys ruled out as a possible release?

Personally hoping for Dracula

Yes apparently neither The Cowboys nor the Reivers is coming very soon due to various difficulties. Inky-Linky.

I can see Williams pouring sweat and labour over a most important achievement like THE TOWERING INFERNO...NOT! Especially not after it was released complete 12 years before.

I guess it's another Spielberg movie (EOTS?) though the continuous absence of DRACULA is more of a nuisance than any of the remaining Spielberg scores.

I can see Williams pouring sweat and labour over a most important achievement like THE TOWERING INFERNO...NOT! Especially not after it was released complete 12 years before.

I guess it's another Spielberg movie (EOTS?) though the continuous absence of DRACULA is more of a nuisance than any of the remaining Spielberg scores.

Empire of the Sun would a likely candidate yes. Now if only Williams wouldn't make any "exciting editing decisions and recombining of cues" and would just sign off the package.

Dracula in glorious improved sound would be a revelation, not to mention with that terrific extra music left unreleased.

I wonder if Spielberg has all of JW's complete sessions... Quick, let's hack his computer!

I bet his iPod is full of them! Let's grap it!

Didn't I read somewhere that Intrada was working on a C&C version of DRACULA?

I have no interest in expansions, as you all know, but I cling on to the hope that we'll soon see another premiere release of a Williams score. I can't even remember the last time there was one. So much to choose from, but most of it in the 50s and 60s. I don't know if that is LaLaLand's territory.

Since it's implied that Williams is involved, I guess too that it's a Spielberg film.

(haven't seen him involved in other releases, has he?)

So, I'd be looking forward to an expansion of A.I.

But I'd agree that it may be Empire of the Sun.

Now if only Williams wouldn't make any "exciting editing decisions and recombining of cues" and would just sign off the package.

THIS!

What's the point in still having album arrangements and ost combinations of cues (like in Hook)?

The ost is available for anyone that wants that kind of stuff.

The new release should be something new indeed.

The ost is addressed to the general public.

The new limited expanded/complete releases are addressed to the die-hard film music fans.

Since it's implied that Williams is involved, I guess too that it's a Spielberg film.

I hope it's SUGARLAND EXPRESS and that they've finally convinced him to do sign off on it. Yeah, I know, long shot.

they said it's an expanded re-issue.

Yeah, i know, I'd be interested in it too more than the others, but....

Empire of the Sun has that great unreleased cue at the end of the movie. for the rest I'm not sure

Hey maybe it's The Lost World since JP came out recently

Saving Private Ryan "The Complete Recordings"! Finally!

Somehow I have a hunch it will be a Warner Bros title, like Empire of the Sun.

Empire of the Sun has that great unreleased cue at the end of the movie. for the rest I'm not sure

Hey maybe it's The Lost World since JP came out recently

Saving Private Ryan "The Complete Recordings"! Finally!

i thought that was complete already. It contains more music than the film.

why? how much is missing from the Collector's edition?

I'm not sure it's much, if any.

There are a few unreleased cues, but I think

is the most essential cue of the score.

To be honest, I think it might one of WB titles. A.I., Empire of the Sun. JFK.

Witches of the Eastwick, The Accidental Tourist. Presumed Innocent. It will be none of them.

Karol

I hope it's SUGARLAND EXPRESS and that they've finally convinced him to do sign off on it. Yeah, I know, long shot.

they said it's an expanded re-issue.

Ah, I see. Then I'll crawl back into my hole.

why? how much is missing from the Collector's edition?

I'm not sure it's much, if any.

There are a few unreleased cues, but I think

is the most essential cue of the score.

Isnt that available on a compilation?

Isnt that available on a compilation?

Yes, it's available on several JW/Boston Pops compilations and as Jarbas (and antero) said it can be heard in the concert suite.

My four guesses would be either Empire of the Sun, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Amistad, or A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

I am happy with any of the Maestro's music being released in an expanded package.

Well. Of the "Big Seven" movie studios, Williams never scored any films for Disney, so that leaves MGM, Universal, Sony, Fox, Paramount, and Warner Brothers - and LLL has released titles from the last 4 of those. They've released ONE Universal title (1941), but since they haven't released any since I dunno if more are possible. And I can't remember right now if they've released any MGM titles, so I dunno if those are possible either....

Universal [None of these are likely possible, but I am including them for completion sake]
1961 The Secret Ways
1965 The Killers
1966 The Rare Breed
1966 The Plainsman
1968 Sergeant Ryker
1970 Storia di una donna
1972 The Screaming Woman
1972 Pete 'n' Tillie
1974 The Sugarland Express
1974 Earthquake
1975 The Eiger Sanction
1975 Jaws
1976 Family Plot (Varese)
1976 Midway (Varese)
1978 Jaws 2
1979 Dracula
1979 1941 (LLL)
1981 Heartbeeps (Varese)
1982 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
1984 The River
1989 Born On The Fourth Of July
1989 Always
1992 Far And Away
1993 Jurassic Park
1993 Schindler's List
1997 The Lost World

MGM:
1966 Penelope (FSM)
1967 Fitzwilly (Varese version could be improved on)
1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips (FSM)
1971 Fiddler On The Roof
1973 The Long Goodbye (Quartet)
1973 Tom Sawyer
1973 The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (FSM)
1976 The Missouri Breaks (Kritzerland)
1990 Stanley & Iris

Sony:
1960 Because They're Young
1963 Diamond Head (FSM)
1963 Gidget Goes To Rome
1972 Images (Prometheus)
1977 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1991 Hook (LLL)
1997 Seven Years In Tibet
1998 Stepmom
2000 The Patriot
2005 Memoirs Of A Geisha (since the score is not 10 years old yet, license fees would probably be too cost-prohibitive)

Fox:
1962 Bachelor Flat (Intrada)
1965 John Goldfarb, Please Come Home (FSM)
1966 How To Steal A Million (Intrada)
1967 A Guide For The Married Man (FSM)
1967 Valley of the Dolls
1972 The Poseidon Adventure (LLL)
1973 The Paper Chase (FSM released can be improved on)
1973 Cinderella Liberty (Intrada)
1974 Conrack (FSM released can be improved on)
1974 The Towering Inferno
1978 The Fury (LLL)
1982 Monsignor (Intrada)
1986 SpaceCamp (Intrada version was not expanded)
1990 Home Alone (LLL)
1992 Home Alone 2 (LLL)

Paramount:
1977 Black Sunday (FSM)
1995 Sabrina
1999 Angela's Ashes

Warner Brothers:
1965 None But The Brave (FSM)
1966 Not With My Wife You Don't! (FSM)
1972 The Cowboys
1978 Superman: The Movie (FSM, but once the Blue Box sells out I think another label will re-release it)
1987 The Witches Of Eastwick (MV has said he can do an expanded release one the Perseverance LP re-issue sells out)
1987 Empire Of The Sun
1988 The Accidental Tourist (FSM release is still in print, but was not expanded)
1990 Presumed Innocent
1991 JFK
1996 Sleepers
1997 Rosewood (LLL)

So I would presume it's one of the titles bolded above

I purposely left out the Lucasfilm (Star Wars 1-6), Dreamworks (all Spielberg-directed films from Saving Private Ryan onward) and Harry Potter films because I don't think those are license-able at this time. MV has said that WB will not license the HP scores; Lucasfilm controls the SW scores even though the films were all distributed by Fox (and Lucasfilm has never worked with the specialty labels). And as for Dreamworks, the various films were directed by Paramount, Sony, or Fox but I think the scores would have separate rights and I don't know if it's possible to release them. But who knows.

Oh, silly me! I can't remember off the top of my head if LLL has released any MGM CDs or not - needless to say, I've updated the above post with MGM/UA titles!

I was also gonna suggest that it might be Catch Me If You Can. It is fun to think about; plus, thinking about what this new expanded release will be adds to the anticipation, and when the announcement comes, it will be great news.

Oh, silly me! I can't remember off the top of my head if LLL has released any MGM CDs or not - needless to say, I've updated the above post with MGM/UA titles!

Are you serious?

BIG COUNTRY

DEAD LIKE ME

DUNWICH HORROR

HANG ‘EM HIGH/AVIATOR/BARQUERO

ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU

ITS A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

METEOR

THE RAT PATROL

SPELLBINDER

NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER

RUNAWAY TRAIN

SPACEBALLS

WUTHERING HEIGHTS

YOUNG RIDERS

ALLAN QUARTERMAIN

CHILD’S PLAY

THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

PANIC IN YEAR ZERO

HAUNTED HONEYMOON

HAUNTED SUMMER

SPEECHLESS

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

X, MAN WITH X RAY EYES

Hell, I might be missing a few others.

LOL

MV

1973 The Paper Chase (FSM released can be improved on)

Doesn't it say in the liner notes they nearly destroyed the master tapes to get a few tracks in stereo and that's the best we'd get