La La Land Records - New John Williams release coming Black Friday 2013 [UPDATE: June 2014] [Empire of the Sun]

JohnnyD

I wouldn't know, I don't have that CD.

But hey, at the time they thought that version of The Poseidon Adventure was the best possible, and then a few years back LLL made a new version from better elements.

The Long Goodbye was improved upon as well

Maybe better elements can be found for Paper Chase too

So now we have about a million different options instead of a very few for this next expanded release? ;)

Conrack is not likely to ever get expanded as from what I recall, only those five or six minutes survive. At any rate, there isn't much more music in the film, mostly just a few very short cues.

Also, can't imagine expanded editions of The Accidental Tourist, Stanley and Iris or Presumed Innocent. From the first I only recall a couple of little short things missing. The two later ones always sounded complete to me, though I haven't watched any of those films in a long time.

And didn't the Cowboys rights belong to Varese in perpetuity?

Spacecamp is only missing that 45 second docking fanfare I think. Damn they didn;t include it in the re-issue

Sabrina possibly has unreleased music...I dunno

A GREAT one would be The Patriot. Plenty of unreleased music, like the film version of "Susan speaks"

Spacecamp is only missing that 45 second docking fanfare I think. Damn they didn;t include it in the re-issue

Sabrina possibly has unreleased music...I dunno

A GREAT one would be The Patriot. Plenty of unreleased music, like the film version of "Susan speaks"

Sabrina does have unreleased music.

There was a section of score from The Patriot that I was bummed about its absence from the album, which was when Benjamin and the militia find the remains of the church.

Oh there were some great unreleased cues in that score. Williams' most unabashedly heroic and flag wavingly patriotic score of the noughties.

Yeah, sure, suddenly EVERYONE thinks The Patriot is a great score. What a bunch of hypocrites!

Two people and everyone are two different things entirely BB. And I do think The Patriot to be a pretty nice score indeed. And what's up with this ill humour your posts reflect today? You are snapping at everyone!

It is a good work, just not a great one. And the fact it has been sandwiched between The Phantom Menace/Angela's Ashes and A.I./Harry Potter combos just wasn't good enough at the time.

Karol

Maybe La La Land Records could provide one or two subtle hints as to what this next expanded release of the Maestro's music will be, just to add more anticipation. I get tired of coming up with guesses after a while.

DRACULA is MIA and has been for quite some time. IF a label is working on it, all that has survived is so-so mono elements as far as I know.

Sadly that's not just bullshit but LLL's statement on FB.

DRACULA is MIA and has been for quite some time. IF a label is working on it, all that has survived is so-so mono elements as far as I know.

Sadly that's not just bullshit but LLL's statement on FB.

:(

See me crying like a pussy now...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your loss is our loss. Oh the horror of having your hopes so cruelly dashed! :crymore:

Given LLL's penchant for hyperbole, it might not be ultimately true, but it doesn't bode well, that's clear. And it's not so much the expansion of DRACULA (though that would be extremely needed, too, mind you!) but that i have to live with the dungeon-like Varése sound is surely a major nuisance.

Given LLL's penchant for hyperbole, it might not be ultimately true, but it doesn't bode well, that's clear. And it's not so much the expansion of DRACULA (though that would be extremely needed, too, mind you!) but that i have to live with the dungeon-like Varése sound is surely a major nuisance.

And it is not unheard of that better elements could be found by some miracle. It has happened in the past.

But it is true that it would be nice to hear the LSO in all its glory rather in that awfully muddled and muffled sound the current CD has.

Someone i know is in touch with Eric Tomlinson. Maybe i send them on a date in town while i plunder Eric's garage.

Heh JW fans, a class act indeed. :P

But desperate times need desperate measures!

Someone i know is in touch with Eric Tomlinson. Maybe i send them on a date in town while i plunder Eric's garage.

Looks like James Fitzpatrick already tried that a few years ago in the hope of rescuing several scores engineered by him, but all Tomlinson kept from his days at Denham were the reels from Walton's Battle of Britain.

I'm betting on one of those two myself, Maurizio. The latter would be just divine. As much as I like the original album (ignoring the abysmal songs, the presentation is very interesting), there is such a great opportunity to present this score in a more narrative order with improved sound. Not to mention tons of unreleased (commercially) cues.

Karol

if it is AI, i hope it contains ALL of the promo music.

As a bonus (but tricky if they have to pay again the performers) i would like the songs there. And the album alternate of abandoned in the woods.

And all the remaining missing music :P

Considering MV said they're waiting for JW himself to sign off this release, I think quite safely it will be an expansion of sorts of a Spielberg title. My money's on Empire of the Sun or A.I.

Doesn't that just mean it's a score that JW is artistically invested in (not necessarily something by Spielberg)? It could probably be any score from the 70s on, since at that point JW had the power to be choosier with his projects and only score the projects that he was personally invested in.

if it is AI, i hope it contains ALL of the promo music.

As a bonus (but tricky if they have to pay again the performers) i would like the songs there. And the album alternate of abandoned in the woods.

And all the remaining missing music :P

I want the film version of Search for the Blue Fairie...that's about it

Doesn't that just mean it's a score that JW is artistically invested in (not necessarily something by Spielberg)?  It could probably be any score from the 70s on, since at that point JW had the power to be choosier with his projects and only score the projects that he was personally invested in.

And which score would that be??

A. I. - i don't care for complete (90 minutes would be more than enough) but please remixed without Shawn Murphy involvement.

And which score would that be??

A. I. - i don't care for complete (90 minutes would be more than enough) but please remixed without Shawn Murphy involvement.

Anything that hasn't already been expanded, from scores like Stanely and Iris to the Patriot. Or one of the Spielbergs.

Considering MV said they're waiting for JW himself to sign off this release, I think quite safely it will be an expansion of sorts of a Spielberg title. My money's on Empire of the Sun or A.I.

Doesn't that just mean it's a score that JW is artistically invested in (not necessarily something by Spielberg)? It could probably be any score from the 70s on, since at that point JW had the power to be choosier with his projects and only score the projects that he was personally invested in.

Who knows, I'm just speculating of course, giving the fact Williams directly approved only certain expanded titles so far (SW Trilogy SE, Indy boxset, Jaws, CE3K, E.T., Hook, Jurassic Park).

Anyway, his involvement depends only on the studio which owns the music rights. Some studios would never give license to any label small or big without securing Williams' own approval, especially in case of big titles like the above-mentioned ones.

I'm not even sure anymore that Murphy is to blame, since he still did great recordings for Horner and JNH while his JW albums sounded like shit. Perhaps Williams had hearing problems at the time?

The other question is how much A.I. can be improved, assuming it's a digital recording (I'm too lazy to check).

It sounds like it's recorded in a very bassy closed cucumber jar. I'm certain it's a mastering problem, around that time alot of Williams recordings, i. e. 7 YEARS IN TIBET or THE PATRIOT were plagued by this overbassed but strangely distant sound, none more so than A. I.