Just a reminder that tonight is the anniversary of the night they returned E.T. to his spaceship

I'm sorry you don't see what I and others see in it. You're really missing out!

I see a film in need of

1. Script work.

2. Tighter direction.

3. Recasting.

4. Editing.

5. More editing.

6. Even more editing.

Steven Spielberg's greatest weaknesses all on display in this soulless film. It's one of his worsted acted films. I gave this film multiple chances, more than it deserved.

As for ET, the score made God cry and I can't question his emotional reaction when mine was the same.

The film version is essentially identical to the version on the OST. Same takes, everything. The only difference really is that the OST version features a short horn insert at 12:43, right before the big fanfare after E.T. says "I'll be right here".

This insert is not used in the film, featured on either the 1996 or 2002 release or is played in any of the recordings made of the Adventures On Earth concert version.

How did the horns get there if it's the same take? it doesn' t sound edited in because they overlap with the other instruments. Maybe they're edited out in the film version

It's an insert. Meaning they recorded just that horn playing and edited it into the take of the whole orchestral performance.

It's not uncommon

The film/OST version also has a triangle playing at 6:45 which is not in the 1996/2002 versions, even though its the same take.

I'm sorry you don't see what I and others see in it. You're really missing out!

I see a film in need of

1. Script work.

2. Tighter direction.

3. Recasting.

4. Editing.

5. More editing.

6. Even more editing.

Steven Spielberg's greatest weaknesses all on display in this soulless film. It's one of his worsted acted films. I gave this film multiple chances, more than it deserved.

As for ET, the score made God cry and I can't question his emotional reaction when mine was the same.

I don't want to start a debate which is the better film (A.I. or E.T.), but let me just add that both films are masterpieces in my book, both scores move me like the most gorgeous music can, and if I have to be honest I cry a lot more during A.I. than E.T.

E.T. I've rediscovered recently, when I wasn't particularly a fan of the film, but loved the score since hearing it.

A.I. has always been a gem for 13 years now, and the score has gotten more appreciation over the years.

I don't get why you say A.I. is soulless, when it's most definitely not !!!! I weep for David's sorrow... for his quest to find that which ultimately we all look for in life but not always find: acceptance and love. Of the unconditional kind. Spielberg put his heart in this, and it's evident from the beginning right until the end, and out of respect for Stanley he made the film like that, being the wishful and naive optimist he has been for a long time, and maybe still had in him at the time.

The imagery is stunning, the visual effects help the story like only a true storyteller knows how to use those effects.

Haley Joel Osment gave his best performance, even better than The Sixth Sense IMO. Jude Law was a great gigolo robot, he gave his character depth.

And the ending, while it may be considered sappy and too sentimental, well, I just adore that ending. I can never keep it dry during that finale.

And Williams' music, while not as broad and spectacular as E.T., is just right and I can never get the heartfelt melodies out of my head after I've heard it on album or seen the film.

Just my 2 cents, but I wanted to state how much I adore A.I. and what a wonderful experience it is every time.

Hmm. I really need to see AI again. I saw it once in the theater and liked it, but that was 13 years ago when I was 21 and I don't really remember too much about it now or how my grown up self would think of it. I own the blu ray too, so that's convenient. Must watch soon. I need to appreciate the score the way so many others do, too.

Sorry, but the boy in A.I. was just a robot that was programmed to love, made in imitation of a dead kid and used by some pretty fucking weird humans as their fake child that would never grow up. We never really give a crap about his character. He never affects those around him in positive ways. I can't cry during that film...? There's simply no reason for the Mother (I guess we forgot about the Father, or he never mattered to begin with?), who was quite the terrible actress, to give a rat's ass about the robot child, and the ending is completely ludicrous. Now, I know what you're going to say. I cry at the end of Terminator 2 when the Terminator is lowered into the steel.

Well, that's artificial intelligence in a film done RIGHT. The Terminator was a soulless automaton that had been reprogrammed to protect our human heroes after originally being programmed to murder our race. But we grow to actually care about the guy, despite the fact that we know that he's a machine and could just as easily murder little John Connor if his program was altered. Yet, even the machines' greatest antagonist shakes his hand before lowering him into the steel out of respect, which is something she never had to do because the Terminator would never have given a shit either way. So we cry manly tears with John Connor as the Terminator gives him the thumbs up in his final moments. It's like thinking man's sci-fi and shit. What does it mean to have a soul and whatnot. Just for some perspective.

I do enjoy watching A.I. because it looks and sounds pretty bitchin' and there's a lot of neat stuff in there. But cry? Never. We don't care about this robo-boy and his plight. I think part of the problem is that we know he's a robot and can never be "real". But it's not like the film makes up for that by questioning just what it is to be real or alive. It's pretty straightforward and doesn't make you think. Spielberg wasn't suited to that kind of material.

Sorry, but the boy in A.I. was just a robot that was programmed to love and we never really give a crap about his character.

As the film goes on, David gains humanity by becoming self-aware. Like with Pinocchio he longs to be a 'real boy.'

The fact that you don't feel anything in A.I. (or see profundity in teenage shit like T2) speaks volumes. Grow up and quit wanking over your E.T dolls.

• 11 months later...

Guess it's that time of the year. Buy a copy of the film, fling it into the air, and fire a shotgun directly at it. If I set it on fire first, it makes a nice streak in the sky like when E.T's ship's engines fail and it burns up in the atmosphere. That was a surprisingly dark way to end the film.

The feeling I get from listening to that final chase sequence is the same feeling I get from eating a whole box of chocolates at once. You eat one, tastes lovely, so you eat another...and by the end you're lying on the ground with pains in your stomach and feeling like if you have another chocolate you're going to throw up.

Adventure on Earth sounds lovely...but then it goes on...and on...and it gets happier...and happier...MORE maj7 chords...oh god please stop...just stoooop! And then it's over and that damn "Doooooooooo doooooooo do do do do doooooooo doooooo" infects your brain and won't leave you alone, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Happy E.T. day.

It's dooooooooo dooooooooooooo, dodododododo dooooooooooooooo doooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not doooooooooo doooooooo do do do do doooooooo doooooo.

The feeling I get from listening to that final chase sequence is the same feeling I get from eating a whole box of chocolates at once. You eat one, tastes lovely, so you eat another...and by the end you're lying on the ground with pains in your stomach and feeling like if you have another chocolate you're going to throw up.

Adventure on Earth sounds lovely...but then it goes on...and on...and it gets happier...and happier...MORE maj7 chords...oh god please stop...just stoooop! And then it's over and that damn "Doooooooooo doooooooo do do do do doooooooo doooooo" infects your brain and won't leave you alone, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Happy E.T. day.

Thank Jeebus, someone else who doesn't drink the E.T. kool aid.

• 2 weeks later...

The string passage when they say "Ouch" around 11 minutes in. It is spectacular.

It really is something. Very uplifting.

Those brief seconds actually reminds me of parts of the CE3K "End Titles". The amended version is (to me at least) "more in line" with the melodic structure of the finale, and is great too. It's actually very hard to pick a winner of the two.

Nah, who am I kidding! The OST-version, of course! = P

• 11 months later...

Crazy.  I just happened to watch this video of Williams conducting that scene live to projection twice in a row this afternoon.  The most perfect collaboration in all film scoring for my money.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Crazy.  I just happened to watch this video of Williams conducting that scene live to projection twice in a row this afternoon.  The most perfect collaboration in all film scoring for my money.

Not according to NeoJWFAN!