The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Hm, it sounds like it could just be generic trailer music.

hmm well I think it is played by real instruments.. I don't think it is generic atall.. now 160bpm thats what I call generic

WOW. I really like that, sounds great. When anyone knows what it is, let us know so I can search for it! lol :folder:

If that doesn't sound generic, no trailer music does.

I agree. It sounds like the trailers of every LOTR knock-off movie. Faux-epic.

The game is a rerelease of the first Broken Sword game, but I don't know if they've replaced the soundtrack. I don't believe the original sounded like that though.

Does anyone know the correct order for the Sleeping With The Enemy OST by Jerry Goldsmith? ;)

Might want to check the Chronological Order Thread for that one.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you already did.

:P:)

Does JW recieve royalties on his score releases? Obviously the OSTs would, I'm talking more about the stuff Intrada, FSM, Varese, etc. releases.

Does JW recieve royalties on his score releases? Obviously the OSTs would, I'm talking more about the stuff Intrada, FSM, Varese, etc. releases.

Of course. Why shouldn't he?

Even Monty Norman received royalties from his "hard work" on Quantum of Solace. :)

Was the version from "Accidentally In Love" from the Counting Crows that sounds at the beginning of Shrek 2 officially released?

I just remembered How I liked that version but could find nothing about it. All there is is the album version.

Any ideas?

I haven't seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I saw it at the library today and picked it up. When I got home, I inspected it closer, and found that it contained only disc 2 (labelled "Special Edition") of the 30th Anniversary 3-disc set. Question: In the opinion of whoever answers this, is it worth it to go ahead and see it now anyway, and just see the original cut some other time, or should I hold off and track down the original cut first?

I'd probably want to see either the 1977 original cut or the 1998 final cut first, but thats just me. the 1980(?) "Special edition" features a silly scene of the actual inside of the spaceship which really should have been best left to the imagination

I haven't seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I saw it at the library today and picked it up. When I got home, I inspected it closer, and found that it contained only disc 2 (labelled "Special Edition") of the 30th Anniversary 3-disc set. Question: In the opinion of whoever answers this, is it worth it to go ahead and see it now anyway, and just see the original cut some other time, or should I hold off and track down the original cut first?

Track down the original cut or the third version.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who the session players were for "Cinderella Liberty"? There is some really good playing on "poppier" numbers such as "Neptune's Bar". Actualy, I could ask the same question for "The Paper Chase", and "Earthquake". Anyone out there got any answers?

Does anyone know who the session players were for "Cinderella Liberty"? There is some really good playing on "poppier" numbers such as "Neptune's Bar". Actualy, I could ask the same question for "The Paper Chase", and "Earthquake". Anyone out there got any answers?

I may be able to help you out with some of the personnel on these scores, Richard. I wrote an analysis of Williams's Earthquake score for this site a few years back and found a few titbits of info on the soundtrack personnel for that movie and some other Williams scores from the period.

With regard to Cinderella Liberty, apart from Toots Thielemans on harmonica whom Koray has already mentioned, the score benefited from the guitar playing of Dennis Budimir who seems to have been Williams's guitarist of choice for many of his jazzier scores at that time (he also played on The Paper Chase and Earthquake, for example, the latter alongside the legendary Tommy Tedesco). You will find that Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Fielding and others featured Dennis Budimir in many of their best scores in the 70's too. Earl Palmer was the drummer and, perhaps most interestingly of all, Brazilian percussionist Mayuto Correa performed on the soundtrack. He was/is considered as one of the world's best jazz percussionists (especially on the congas - check out the track New Shooter) and also performed for Isaac Hayes on the soundtrack for Shaft, for example. Here is a picture of Mayuto:

mob1.gif

It looks like he's on Facebook, so perhaps someone familiar with the workings of that social networking tool can give him a prod, a poke or a slap or whatever it is one does. On Earthquake, the main pianist was Clare Fischer (who is a man, by the way) with other personnel including legendary session players Shelly Manne (drums) and Vince de Rosa, who seems to have played french horn on just about every Hollywood score ever written! The percussionist on this score and Paper Chase was Emil Radocchia (otherwise sometimes known as Emil Richards), another regular collaborator with Lalo Schifrin and other 70's and 80's greats.

Unfortunately I do not know who was responsible for the fabulous sax playing on Cinderella Liberty, but I hope the rest is of some interest. It is a real shame that the soundtrack personnel are not routinely listed in all Williams CDs, although it is pleasing to see that many of his recent releases have a full listing.

I may be able to help you out with some of the personnel on these scores, Richard. I wrote an analysis of Williams's Earthquake score for this site a few years back and found a few titbits of info on the soundtrack personnel for that movie and some other Williams scores from the period.

With regard to Cinderella Liberty, apart from Toots Thielemans on harmonica whom Koray has already mentioned, the score benefited from the guitar playing of Dennis Budimir who seems to have been Williams's guitarist of choice for many of his jazzier scores at that time (he also played on The Paper Chase and Earthquake, for example, the latter alongside the legendary Tommy Tedesco). You will find that Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Fielding and others featured Dennis Budimir in many of their best scores in the 70's too. Earl Palmer was the drummer and, perhaps most interestingly of all, Brazilian percussionist Mayuto Correa performed on the soundtrack. He was/is considered as one of the world's best jazz percussionists (especially on the congas - check out the track New Shooter) and also performed for Isaac Hayes on the soundtrack for Shaft, for example. Here is a picture of Mayuto:

mob1.gif

It looks like he's on Facebook, so perhaps someone familiar with the workings of that social networking tool can give him a prod, a poke or a slap or whatever it is one does. On Earthquake, the main pianist was Clare Fischer (who is a man, by the way) with other personnel including legendary session players Shelly Manne (drums) and Vince de Rosa, who seems to have played french horn on just about every Hollywood score ever written! The percussionist on this score and Paper Chase was Emil Radocchia (otherwise sometimes known as Emil Richards), another regular collaborator with Lalo Schifrin and other 70's and 80's greats.

Unfortunately I do not know who was responsible for the fabulous sax playing on Cinderella Liberty, but I hope the rest is of some interest. It is a real shame that the soundtrack personnel are not routinely listed in all Williams CDs, although it is pleasing to see that many of his recent releases have a full listing.

Ooh er, Omen II, this is AMAZING!!! Thanks a lot. And now another quick question; does anyone know where you can get the full version of "The Eleventh Commandment" without dialogue, or effects?

What is the piece John Williams is performing in this (wonderful) documentary (he is visibly shown playing it at 3:19)? Is it an original John Williams composition or what?

Listening to Williams speak I get the impression it's music composed by someone else.

Perhaps Miguel knows.

What is the piece John Williams is performing in this (wonderful) documentary (he is visibly shown playing it at 3:19)? Is it an original John Williams composition or what?

It's Le grillon, the second of French composer Maurice Ravel's song cycle Histoires Naturelles. Le grillon is French for 'cricket' (as in the grasshopper-like insect rather than the game). The words that the woman is singing are from poems by Jules Renard.

It's Le grillon, the second of French composer Maurice Ravel's song cycle Histoires Naturelles. Le grillon is French for 'cricket' (as in the grasshopper-like insect rather than the game). The words that the woman is singing are from poems by Jules Renard.

Thank you, Damien! I admit that it is pretty cool to just see John Williams play music for his own sake rather than anyone else's.

Has anyone ever figured out what the cue "Night Siege" (Original LP) / "Trucking" (Special Edition) represents in CE3K?

A deleted scene, an alternate?

Wait, it was not in the film!? That would explain everything...I was listening to "Night Siege" and I thought it was so awesome that I wanted to see what scene would be awesome enough to hold it. I could not find it anywhere...I would estimate it to be pretty close to the scene of the escapees climbing Devil's Tower, if I remember the film correctly.

Hey, quick question regarding THRONE ROOM from Star Wars.

Was this based on or inspired by any one known (classical) piece? This sounds so familiar to me somehow...

Recently I've noted that there are some expanded European version of the "Legend of 1900" selling on ebay, with a very low price cost lower than $12 US dollars. Since the items are in the China Mainland, I wonder weather these copies are illegal copies. However, the seller told me that the CDs are factory pressed CD and they don't sell bootleg. Is there anyone know if it is possible that this European version of the "Legend of 1900" be a true Sony made expanded score? Or they are only illegal copies? Because I don't want to buy any illegal bootleg.

Yes, that's the European version I'm talking about.

As far as I know, it is very rare. However, the ebay seller have at least 10 copies of it. Though the seller claimed that the CDs were pressed CD and all item are from licensed Distributors, I doubt if it is true. I need to comfirm before buying it.

Has anyone got any idea why "Return Of The Jedi" sounds so awful? I can think of a couple of reasons; bad microphone placement, which is unlikely, or the innability to use the new mixing desk - ROTJ was recorded digitally; the previous two were analogue. This is also unlikely, as the stunning sound for "Brainstorm" (recorded just a few months later, and direct to 2-track, mind you!) testifies. Was ROTJ mastered/transferred by somone with an overactive enthusiasm for Dolby noise reduction? Either way, it is a great shame, for it spoils what should be a terrific musical finale for the saga, into a rather ho-hum listening experience.

Ahh the age old question.

I would say it's a combo of a few things; quality of the available material, limits of technology at the time of the recording and re-mastering.

I have complete faith that Michael Matassino, Nick Redman and all involved did the best they could with what they had at the time.

What about it specifically sounds awful? My ears aren't savvy enough to pick up on anything glaring.

To me it's just flat, almost close to mono.