First boom-tzzzz?

indy4

When is the earliest use of boom-tzzz by JW? I hear some earlier prototypes of it in "Olympic Fanfare" (1984), but these are pretty different than the modern boom-tzzz. First modern variation that I'm aware of is in Far and Away (1994), in "The Land Race." Do any predate either of these works?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I recently heard this piece written in 2006, which uses boom-tzzz pretty prominently at 2:49 (the composer studied with Goldsmith, so I'm sure he's fairly familiar with Williams' work). It got me thinking, out of curiosity, does anybody know if any composers used boom-tzzz before Williams?

There is quite a bit in the Asteroid Field.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=zKa7VzA16Vg

Listen at about 1:15.

Oh, good spy. These variations certainly aren't as prominent as Williams' modern ones, but they definitely qualify.

I would have to say Raiders (Flying Wing/Desert Chase), TOD (Short Round Helps), or Hook.

When is the earliest use of boom-tzzz by JW? I hear some earlier prototypes of it in "Olympic Fanfare" (1984), but these are pretty different than the modern boom-tzzz. First modern variation that I'm aware of is in Far and Away (1994), in "The Land Race." Do any predate either of these works?

Okay, what's the difference between a modern and an old boom-tzzzzz?

Jaws doesn't contain a boom-tzzz, does it?

Jaws doesn't contain a boom-tzzz, does it?

I think that Man Against Beast contains a boom-tsss

Well, to me it seems that as Williams has gotten older, the boom-tzzz has gotten more prominent. In the 70s and 80s it was more of a background noise, but starting in the 90s (and also in some of his Olympic work) he's really brought it to the forefront. I mean, in Tintin we get the boom-tzzzz in the beginning of "Clash of the Cranes" without any other accompaniment.

• 2 weeks later...

ummm... Military marches have loads of boom-tzz, i doubt beethoven invented them...

maybe its a renmant of Williams army days, he like the power of that sound and used it for his works.

Many of his works have a military vibe to them even if they are not marches (Olympic works for example)

John Williams' very first boom-tzzz happened after the very moment he was born, when the doctor took a first glance at him and instantly saw the genius and saviour of film music history in him, and dropped a glass of water. Boom-tzzz!

Hanser's comment isn't that far from the truth though. Beethoven has the bass drum "booms", but the tzzz is played by the violins, not cymbals. Check out this video, especially from 0:45 to 0:55.