What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I'm still on LOST, making slow progress since the girlfriend has never seen it so finding the time for both of us to sit down and watch isn't always easy. Halfway though Season 4, at the moment.

In the meantime I've been going through It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Now that's a great show to binge watch. I've seen the first 4 seasons before, but Amazon Prime has everything up to Season 9 for free. So it'll be nice to finally catch up, currently on Season 3.

If you live with the person you're watching the shows with, and you designate an hour each night for the show, and schedule other shows or activities around it, and make it to a fairly regular thing, then yes, go ahead and watch one hour a night.

But if you only see her on the weekends and just decide the only thing you're going to do today is binge watch on the couch, then binge away.

Brooklyn 99 2x09 The Road Trip

Funny stuff! Eva Longoria is turning out to be a great addition to the cast - and it definitely helps that they don't try to cram her into every episode. The stuff with the creepy dolls made me laugh every time. I enjoyed the maple syrup jokes too. The B plot of Rosa being sick was well handled, with some funny moments from Gina. The C plot of Holt wanting to cook breakfast for Kevin and Boyle helping him out was comedy gold. Great stuff all around!

Also, I'm glad Amy and Teddy are over. Not that I want Amy and Jake to get together, but nothing about the Amy/Teddy romance subplot was ever really good. It didn't really have any potential, so unsurprisingly never went anywhere.

Homeland 4x10 13 Hours in Islamabad

First half of the episode:

:drool::w00t::rock: This shit rocks! Awesome sauce!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Second half of the episode

*yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwn*

Lockhart's a douchebag, Quinn going off and Carrie going to find him is meh. 2 episode to go, we can do this....

No. THE 100 is the kind of program that even the assembled Royal Shakespeare company couldn't have saved - it may have worked at the time i was high on the BILLION DOLLAR MAN but this one hasn't even got Lee Majors.

Saturday Night Live 40x08 James Franco / Nicki Minaj

James Franco was really committed, and there was a lot of stuff, but a lot of forgettable stuff as always.

Nicki Minaj is one weird chick.

There was no billion dollar man. There was 6 million dollar man and seven million dollar man. There was also a girl who cost 6 million. And there was Sandra Bullock

Homeland 4x11 Krieg Nicht Lieb

Well, this week was alright, I guess. Quinn’s plan was pretty clever really, and the new German character was kind of interesting. Her insight into why Quinn will never leave the CIA was nice. Then Carrie had to go and FUCK EVERYTHING UP and RUIN EVERYTHING by showing up at the end. As soon as she got out of the car, I predicted exactly what would happen (That Quinn would have a perfect chance to kill the bad guy, then not take it because Carrie was right there). The twist with F Murray Abraham on the other hand, I dunno how anyone could have seen that coming (other than the fact that Showtime put him in the opening Recap). So does this mean he’s been working with the taliban the entire time?

I read recently that the two showrunners of Modern Family have found themselves in a fight and unable to work together, so instead of working together on every episode, show running duties are split, with one of them running the odd numbered episodes and the other running the even numbered ones. I don’t think they necessarily air in that back and forth ordering, but it’s something interesting to think about it.

What I have noticed is that lately, probably starting with this season, or sometime last season, is that the episode of the show tend to fall in one of two categories: The ones that are very sitcom-esque and more slapsticky, that make you go “What has Modern Family become!?”, and the ones that are more special and reminiscent of the early days of the show, which make you go “This is why Modern Family is one of the best comedies on TV!”

Modern Family 6x09 Strangers in the Night

This episode is clearly in the former category. Mitch and Cam have to protect their new couch from a sloppy drunk friend! Gloria and Jay don’t want to go to each other’s events! Phil and Claire think Alex’s boyfriend is made up! Blah - It was all so sitcomy and unrealistic! The best part was the “The Sting” ending, and Manny’s reveal. Otherwise, a very forgettable, and meaningless, episode.

Modern Family 6x10 Haley's 21st Birthday

And this episode is clearly in the latter category. This episode was hilarious! All the stories these week were good, and interesting, and had good character interactions and dynamics at play. We had Haley with Claire, Gloria, Mitch and Cam at the bar; Phil and Jay car shopping; and Luke, Haley, and Manny with Lilly (and presumably Joe). All three stories offered great interaction, funny gags, and nice developments. Though I doubt Claire’s ankle tattoo will ever be referenced again! Still, hilarious episode through and through, I probably had 15 laugh out loud moments compared to the previous episodes maybe 3.

Saturday Night Live 40x09 Martin Freeman / Charli XCX

OK, Martin Freeman was very good! Very funny! And he definitely gave it his all, and didn't half-ass a thing. Sadly the writers just cannot come up with interesting or compelling material for anyone to do lately. And Weekend Update continues to be a slog. Michael Che is actually pretty good, both in the jokes and the interaction with the guests. His interaction with the barmitzvah boy wasn't as classic as Seth Meyer's, but that's no surprise. Jost is getting slightly better but is still basically a stiff board. Cecily Strong was amazing as The Girl From Every Romantic Comedy, but because she had to interact with Jost the bit didn't land as strong as it deserved to.

Best sketch was obviously The Hobbit / The Office mashup. Brilliance (though I doubt it makes sense to anyone who hasn't seen the original UK The Office)

I knew it was already posted of course, but it was worth reposting!

And I dunno how you can proclaim it was a missed opportunity to not have Gervais as Gandalf; For all we know he WAS asked, but said no, or he wasn't available, or whatever. I mean, who the hell knows?

You can hardly fault them for trying their best with what they had. It doesn't lose points because Gervais didn't fly across an ocean to cameo in it

Blame it on KK! Right after your post, he mentioned he was going to a Hobbit marathon, and he attracted all the attention to himself!

Hey, what can I say? I need my spotlight! ;)

Sorry bout that bellamy, it was a good sketch! But the rest of the SNL cast is just not as funny to keep up with Martin.

I enjoyed the previous cast a lot more too.

You can see Freeman is an old hand in TV comedy

Really? He does a horrible accent. Terrible episode of Snl.

This week's Freakshow was beautiful powerful and tragic.

The same could be said about last night's episode of Moms. So seldom do we see comedy blend with tragedy so poignantly.