Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

• 2 weeks later...

And the title of episode 3 is "The Final Problem".  That means we have:

4x01 The Six Thatchers

4x02 The Lying Detective

4x03 The Final Problem

The source of that final episode title is this press release for new score CDs coming out!

sherlock-visual-series4-with-ab.jpg

SHERLOCK Series 4 (W/Free The Abominable Bride Bonus CD)
Deluxe CD $12.99/£9.99/€11.99
Release Date: 27/01/2017

Pre-order NOW to get a free CD of THE ABOMINABLE BRIDE.

Free The Abominable Bride CD available ONLY when you pre-order from this store.

Please note: You will not be able to purchase The Abominable Bride CD elsewhere.

MAKE IT A SHERLOCK CHRISTMAS! 

Make someone's Christmas and give SHERLOCK SERIES 4 as a gift. 

Just fill in their address for delivery and put their email in the special box indicated, and they will receive a confirmation email on Christmas Day with a previously unreleased image previewing the forthcoming episode on New Year's Day, as well as the CD on the release date of January 27th 2016. DON'T MISS OUT! 

SHERLOCK Series 4:
Music from episode 1 'The Six Thatchers'
Music from episode 2 'The Lying Detective'
Music from episode 3 'The Final Problem'

Limited edition bonus CD:
Music from the 'The Abominable Bride'
01 Second Afghan War
02 Opening Titles
03 Shooting Spree
04 Mr Hooper
05 Signing
06 The Maze
07 Broken Window
08 Cuttings
09 Unveiling the Bride
10 All the Women
11 Two of Us

https://sherlock.tmstor.es/

silcd1530ab-abominablebride-not-final.jpg (1500×1500)

30942.jpg (600×600)

In the end, the Abominable Bride is kind of a "throwaway" episode, I doubt you'd miss much going right from 3x03 to 4x01

It's funny. at first people complained that doing a period version of Sherlock was stupid, that it defeated the whole concept of the show. And now people complain the opposite.

Can't please everyone I guess.

I highly disapprove of only making The Abominable Bride available as a bonus CD if you buy from Silva. Smaller labels especially should know better.

And I refuse to believe it takes an entire year to prepare the score for release.

What?  They're charging $11.99 for 3 CDs. How can you complain? 

If they had released AB a year ago and only S4 now, you'd be paying double for the same CDs. 

• 3 weeks later...

What do you mean?

Episode 1 airs Sunday January 1

Episode 2 airs Sunday January 8

Episode 3 airs Sunday January 15

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?

Episode 1 airs Sunday January 1

Episode 2 airs Sunday January 8

Episode 3 airs Sunday January 15

Was season three not shown over the space of a week? Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember all three episodes being shown in less than a fortnight. 

Anyway, preordered the soundtrack with the free Christmas special cd. Only €4 p&p

By all means, discuss the episode openly!

Those who haven't watched it yet surely won't read your post, or further discussion, until they have!

We will probably watch tonight, though we randomly ended up re-watching the entire run instead of starting Man in the High Castle.  Just finished The Hounds of Baskerville.  I'd like to at least rewatch The Reichenbach Fall before the new episode, I think...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

We will probably watch tonight, though we randomly ended up re-watching the entire run instead of starting Man in the High Castle.  Just finished The Hounds of Baskerville.  I'd like to at least rewatch the next one before the new episode, I think...

You don't necessarily have to rewatch any of the old episodes, as any references to earlier events are explained within this new episode.

If you choose only one episode to watch before starting season four, make it His Last Vow.

You made it sound like you were going to watch one more and then dive into the new season.

If so, I'd recommend rewatching His Last Vow.

If not, what are you doing here talking to me? You have five more episodes of Sherlock to watch before starting on the new season!

I more or less remember everything from season 3 and the special.  Man, had I forgotten all the details from season 1 and 2!

And Sherlock is back. The most meta show of them all opens it's fourth season with it's customary hilarious histrionics, writing that's constantly red-herringing us in one direction, and than changes direction for the sake of changing direction. Sherlock is mostly smoke and mirrors, a fantastic magic show where you are focused to try and work out whats happening and what will happen.

Moffat does the exact same thing on Doctor Who, now al but ruining it. With Sherlock it's become almost the reason to watch.

The new episode was both fantastic and ridiculous. Grand guignol, edge of your seat TV making that seems incredibly important but is really about nothing but itself. And if you can accept that it's a heck of a ride.

For the first time the cast seem noticeably older, especially John and Mary. John seemed quite underused in this but I'm guessing that was done on purpose.

Like Breathmask indicated the stand-alone story structure seems to have been completely abandoned. But in all honestly thats been the case for a while now. It's the current trend anyway. Binge watching shows don't really do stand-alone.

It's hard to judge this story because I don't know what's gonna happen. But it did work. Definite darker tone, but plenty of humour throughout. Still no idea what Moriarty's plan is, if Moriarty ever had a plan or what that will lead too. John encounter with the redhead will certainly go somewhere.

I'm not yet sure what to think of the new episode. It'll probably depend on how the rest of this series continues. It did feel like a step backwards while watching it, with too many red herrings and (seemingly - who knows how much will be picked up again in the next episodes) too little structure. Rather unfocused, I thought, but at the same time more over the top than seems right for it (unlike Steef, I still think Moffat's over-exaggerations work well enough for Who, but I'm not so sure here).

Mary's death, while obvious and predictable in the moment, seemed odd. The whole finale seemed odd and illogically convenient. I can't decide if the idea of it potentially being a cheat and Mary surviving somehow is too cliché or perhaps a better justification for the episode's plotting.

Well they can't do a The Raven/Hell-bent/Heaven Sent on this show...or can they?

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(unlike Steef, I still think Moffat's over-exaggerations work well enough for Who, but I'm not so sure here).

The extreme self-analysation and twisting of it's own tropes works very well on Sherlock, which seems almost designed for the purpose. But not Who, which really was never designed for taht kind of treatment. Never the less Moffat has taken the show apart, shown us it's component parts and reconstructed it again so many times now that almost everything about it will be exposed once he finished. Leaving Chibnall with a hell of a mess to clean up.

The Six Thatchers case seems to be completely solved. We know who was responsible for the mess at the Ambassy rescue, who know why the statues were being smashed etc. Holdovers seem to be the "Miss me?"/Moriarty mystery. John's encounter with the red headed woman and the perceived threat to John as stated in Mary's last message.

Anything else?

4 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Christmas special showed that Moffat's still got amusing, light and coherent Who writing in him. 

As did The Day Of The Doctor. I still have to check the special. Who has been so far of my radar last year I couldn't be bothered on Christmas 

Well Sherlock faked his death so his friends would be out of danger while he dismantled Moriarty's network.

Mary is as smart and resourceful as Sherlock. She already tried to go at it alone, but Sherlock and John found her. She may have faked her death. Though there doesn't seem to be any reason too. Unless it has to do with either Moriarty or the treat to John.

I'm not saying I want this to happen. But i'm saying that within the universe of this show, it's certainly possible.

OK I haven't processed if it was a good idea to write Mary off or not yet (of course she didn't fake her death), but the staging of it all was so stupid. So Sherlock figures out Vivian gave that call that destroyed Mary's agents-for-hire group, and was selling secrets too. But instead of telling Mycroft and letting him take her in, he texts John and Mary to have them all confront her? The smartest man alive can't think that she just might have a gun and someone could get hurt? Stupid stupid stupid writing. Sherlock (the character and the show) should be better than that. 

They were obviously playing on his overconfidence but it could definitely have been handled better. 

I'm glad Mary is dead though as she ruins the dynamic between Sherlock and Watson and I don't think she's anything more than a 2D character. She was fine to have for awhile but she had outstayed her welcome so I'm glad they've moved her on. 

I thought the acting in her death scene was poor and staged. That's where my worry that she faked her death stems from. 

Yes. It's too Dr. Who in how is goes from one scene to the next without any room to breathe. 

And I did really miss a good scene between John and Sherlock.

Also, though this isn't unexpected. Sherlock kills someone in cold blood, but completely gets away with it courtesy of Mycroft?

That was entertaining, though this is all beginning to ring a bit hollow isn't it? I don't even mind the over-the-top plotting, which suits Sherlock more than Dr. Who (funnily enough), but not if its at the expense at characters and writing. Though Mary's death was handled well enough, I felt it was unnecessary, and would have liked to see the trio's dynamic develop further without all of her past coming back to haunt her (didn't we already see all that in season 3?). Also, John cheating seems very much unlike his character...guess we'll see where it all goes. Still, always a pleasure to revisit this.

And as ridiculous as this episode got sometimes, you've got to admire the style and confidence in its story-telling. Sherlock does its own thing.

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

They were obviously playing on his overconfidence but it could definitely have been handled better. 

I'm glad Mary is dead though as she ruins the dynamic between Sherlock and Watson and I don't think she's anything more than a 2D character. She was fine to have for awhile but she had outstayed her welcome so I'm glad they've moved her on. 

I thought the acting in her death scene was poor and staged. That's where my worry that she faked her death stems from. 

Yeah ... not that I've read all of Conan Doyle, but apparently Mary is only a minor character in the stories. And Jeez, Freeman's grief noises ... he sounded like a birthing cow. 

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Holdovers seem to be the "Miss me?"/Moriarty mystery. John's encounter with the red headed woman and the perceived threat to John as stated in Mary's last message.

Anything else?

Redbeard and the "13th" note on Mycroft's fridge that was introduced at the end of The Six Thatchers.