The Office (US Version)

indy4

So is it just me or is this current (9th) season of The Office one of the best? Out of nowhere this season is shaping up to be really good!

I mean its been mostly crap for years now, and seasons 7 and 8 especially were the bottom of the barrel. This season didn't start out that much better but somehow since Andy left the Andy/Erin/Pete, Angela/Senator/Dwight, and Jim/Pam/Brian storylines have all been good. The only thing I don't get is that Andy has been gone from the show since the 6 episode of this season... why is he still in the opening credits? I really like the storyline with Jim and now Darryl working for Athlead too. And the fact that they are actually showing the documentary crew interacting with the "subjects" is just great.

Kinda sad the show is getting this good now that there are only 10 episodes left ever!

EDIT: I just looked it up and Greg Daniels, who created the show and was showrunner for the first 4 seasons, has returned to be showrunner for this season. Maybe that's part of it.

Not one of the best,but the season is certainly a huge improvement. The storylines are so much more interesting, and there's some great character moments.

I liked the documentary crew interaction at first. But with the last episode, I'm not sure I like this whole idea of Brian's crush on Pam.

Or maybe I'm just upset because 30 Rock is over. :(

Haven't seen the finale yet, but I saw the second last episode and it already made me sad for what was to come.

I feel like it's been very shaky. I think part of it is that the tonal shift from the first few seasons has really snuck up on me--I was still pretty okay with season 7, and then the last two seasons I've just started to really think, "Okay, what the hell. Is this even still a business anymore? Does anything they do matter?" This season more than last, where the Tallahassee trip actually kind of had a bit of an old-school Office vibe, and had the great tag of Jim and Dwight eating ice cream. This season we actually saw Pam lose a customer in the process of having fun with her co-workers, and not only is she not worried, but there are no repercussions whatsoever. In the past, you had deal with a lot of this stuff, which is why it was uncomfortable. Now I'm not sure what, if anything, to feel.

I'm also a little blindsided by the Brian thing. I was okay with it last week, but when they had him bump her with the microphone and then intervene at the end again for the second week in a row, it was just like, "Whoa, hey! I know you're trying to build something here, but maybe a little more gradually?" Why couldn't they have sprinkled this in as an organic growth from the season opener where they talk with the crew?

That said, there have been good things. Off the top of my head, I really liked the coffee confrontation. That was humor that was not so over-the-top and well-done. I'd love to see more of that--humor based out of natural character interaction--in the rest of the season/series.

Yeah, this season has just been a mess.

There are currently three love triangles being proposed right now, with Oscar-Angela-Senator, Jim-Pam-Camera Guy, and Andy-Erin-Pete. How is this good? The fact that Pam had that look at the end of the episode, that they're even hinting that Pam might consider betraying Jim, is just stupid. At this point, nearly every character has betrayed someone in a relationship, but Jim and Pam have always been the steady couple. Plus, there are only ten episodes left for this show, and they introduce a new character and start up such a contrived story line for what real purpose? What do they really hope to achieve by going down this path? Unless the camera guy turns out to be the Scranton Strangler, than I don't really understand what they're trying to achieve with this storyline.

I was ready to give up on the show when Michael left, as I only watched Season 7 because it was Carrel's final one. I actually gave up during season 6, but finished it up when I heard about Michael's departure. Now, I wish I just never watched the last two seasons. There have been so many bad episodes, that a few good ones that have actually happened seem so much better because everything else in which they compare. I miss the old Office. This now just seems like a bad sitcom, with many of the characters seemingly caricatures of what we were originally introduced to.

I disagree. I don't think she's actually considering eloping with Brian, but she definitely likes him as a friend at least. Beyond that you don't really have any way of knowing how deep her feelings for him go. And you know that she's not a big fan of Jim right now.

Of course she considers him a friend, but her loyalty lies with the father of her two children, regardless of a rough patch they are going through

Yes. The relationship between Pam and Jim may be a bit rocky, but there's no way Pam would ever think of really betraying her husband and family.

All the more reason to think, "Where the hell are we really going with this?"

With how weird things have gone, I ALMOST feel like we could end up with a Roseanne-esque finale. The last two seasons are Michael's fears of what could happen after he's gone.

-Ben, hoping the writers aren't actually considering that.

Oh no way. I fully expect an episode soon to have the documentary footage "released" to the public and the characters all deal with their 15 minutes of "fame", somewhat like in the original UK finale.

Plus I haven't even heard of Carrell coming back for the finale, though I did read Kaling and Novak would. I think Gabe is supposed to return at some point this year too? Andy comes back in a few weeks I guess

Last I heard was a rumor that he wasn't going to be making another appearance, but that could just be cover-up. I don't know. On the one hand, yes, he had a great exit, and I understand the desire to not sully that, but at the same time, it's perfectly in character for Michael Scott to make at least one last visit to the place he grew up in and see these people that he really cared about. I also feel like they tried a bit too hard to forget that Michael was there in an effort to let the final seasons stand on their own two feet. Have we gotten any references aside from the "Michael Scott Jr." joke at the start of season 8?

I dunno, I guess I'm saying I'm down for Michael to pop up once more--ESPECIALLY if we do see the footage airing.

Of course she considers him a friend, but her loyalty lies with the father of her two children, regardless of a rough patch they are going through

Yes. The relationship between Pam and Jim may be a bit rocky, but there's no way Pam would ever think of really betraying her husband and family.

I didn't say she was seriously considering getting with Brian, but you can have feelings for somebody while at the same time understanding that the commitment you've made to our husband and kids are more important. I'm just saying it's a bit presumptious to assume that Pam has absolutely no feelings for Brian, beyond being friends.

Well I don't think she does

And yes, I think Michael Scott should ONLY appear again if it involves a storyline where he responds to his "celebrity" from the documentary footage airing

I always thought a funny gag would be if within the show the footage begins airing on "Must See TV Thursdays" on NBC, but it will probably be released as a film or something in the world of the show

You can't be certain that Pam has no feelings. The fact that she did that stupid little look at the end of the last episode was enough to at least leave the possibility open. As mentioned by others, with ten episodes left, what is the point of this? They seriously couldn't come up with anything else than to just put all the relationships in question?

As for the finale, they've moved away from the British show so much that basically redoing the finale for the American version would be rather lame at this point. Considering the downward spiral its been taking the last few years, and weeks in particular, I wouldn't be surprised unfortunately. Michael putting on a tv at the end of the finale with an "they're finally airing it" would be good enough. But if they indeed go with the whole they're celebrities now route I'll be disappointed.

I don't see how it can be disappointing; It's completely irrelevant whether the British show did it or not. Watching these characters react to every aspect of their lives over the last 9 years being aired for all of america to see would be interesting.

Last I heard was a rumor that he wasn't going to be making another appearance, but that could just be cover-up.

That wasn't a rumor. There was an offer from the producers, and Carell rejected it: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/steve-carell-the-office-return/

Inevitably there are fans still clinging to the idea that he's just covering up his future guest appearance, but I don't think I'd bet on it.

An offscreen thing might be nice, then--maybe a phone call on the release of the documentary. He doesn't even have to be heard. I just find it hard to wrap my head around the show ending while pretending he didn't exist.

• 3 weeks later...
The Office 9x16 Moving On - Uh, what was this? Something was off about this episode, and when 20 minutes had passed and it wasn't over I realized it was a double-length one. Looking it up on wikipedia, I see it was intended to be a single episode, but NBC asked them to make it an hour for some reason. So basically they kept in all the parts they would have cut for time, and maybe then added more stuff too, I dunno. Anyways, you can definitely feel the bloat! The parts with Angela and Dwight on the farm were funny and cute, and no surprise they made out at the end.

Pam not wanting to work in Philadelphia was no surprise. This season is really testing Jim's values - soon he's going to have to choose between this job and Pam and his kids (the choice will be obvious). Oh, Bob Odenkirk was BRILLIANT at both parodying Michael Scott, and being unique in his own righ at the same time. All his scenes were great.

The Andy/Erin/Pete subplot was the weak part, and just felt sooo dragged on and unrealistic. Gabe was pretty funny though. The minor subplot with Toby and Nellie, and him visiting the Scranton Strangler was pretty funny. I guess the right guy is behind bars afterall, and there will be no late season surprise about the real Scranton Strangler. Oh well.

The button at the end of the episode with the ad on Oscar's computer showing "The Office: An American Workplace" airing in May is surely setting up a season finale about the documentary footage airing and the character's reaction to it!

• 2 months later...

So anybody been watching? I thought tonight's episode was really sweet, probably the best episode since Michael left. Loved all the stuff with Jim convincing Dwight to name himself "Assistant to the Assistant to the Regional Manager" (and was that Jim's final office prank on Dwight? :(). Could have done without the Andy storyline, though; on top of not being that funny, I felt like it spoiled his farewell at the end of the last episode.

On the whole, I've enjoyed this season. I thought last season was almost completely useless and I still wish that they had planned to stop at 7 with Michael leaving, but all things considered, it looks like they're going to stick the landing next week.

The Jim stuff where he was messing with Dwight was fun. I'm really just not invested in it anymore. The series was solid through 6 seasons. 7 was okay I suppose. When they announced this as the last season I felt obligated to stay with it to the end. That's really the only reason I'm still watching it, but I've been pleasantly surprised that season is at least passable.

I liked the episode. It was very sweet and hit the right emotions. I'm just really happy and content with this season and I can't wait for next week. Here's to hoping we get to see a Steve Carell cameo!

I'm just glad that they are going out with a few good episodes at least. Most of the season has been weak, but the last few weeks have actually felt like The Office again, which has been pleasant. As soon the episode started, I could tell Jim was going to try something with Dwight and to see to it work out perfectly as planned was nice (though I would have loved a pan to a clock to show it just turned 2). The Andy stuff was tolerable, but that's fine considering the mess they've turned his character into. He's been half Andy Bernard, half Michael Scott all season and now he's become David Brent as well so I really don't know what to think of his character at this point.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out how they plan on ending the show and what the last scene will be. They've been pushing Jim and Pam hard all season, so its likely them, but that montage might be the final hurrah for them. Perhaps something with Michael, or maybe just have everyone leave The Office and turn the lights off? Considering the next episode is a time jump (6 months) I really don't know what to expect.

Really lovely ending to a great (if not perfect) show. Everybody got their moment, which is about all I could ask for. I think Creed's ending was my favorite of all :lol:

It still bothers me that Season 8 even exists, because as much as the series had its ups and downs until then, that one makes it a little hard for me to recommend the entire show -- as a whole -- to other people. But those first few seasons were incredible, and for all the missteps, nothing they ever did will spoil my enjoyment of re-watching those. As far as the main character arcs go, I think I'll be satisfied to look ahead and for that, I'm grateful.

It was a satisfying ending for sure. At least the last few episodes picked up steam and really excelled in ways the show hasn't been able to do for a long time.

Perfect finale, I couldn't be happier!

Every scene with Michael was perfect, I just wish there had been more of them

Every story did wrap up in a satisfying way, except maybe Andy's

I was really happy to see Michael back! I didn't expect it after the producers had denied it so many times. I also wish he had been there at Dunder Mifflin at the end, but I did appreciate that the penultimate shot of the series was a flashback of Michael putting Pam's painting on the wall. It would have felt wrong for him not to be in the show's very last moments in some way.

Wait, him putting it on the wall was the final shot, unless I missed something....

It was a great finale indeed! I was both surprised and disappointed by Michael's cameo though. He didn't do much, and I wish he was more involved in someway with the final goodbye to all these lovable characters. But I suppose Michael Scott already had his good-bye, it was time for us to part with the others. And what a farewell it was!

Everything else was wrapped up perfectly. I was quite happy with the result.

Ah right, I forgot about the shot showing the actual building sorry.

Michael Scotts first line being "that's what she said" was great, as was him showing Pam photos of his kids on two phones, and his line about his kids growing up and marrying each other. I just wish there was more of that!

I wish Holly had been there too.

I actually liked the restraint there--Michael's moved on and is a family man. Actually, about the only thing I would've added is some kind of reconciliation between Michael and Toby, as I just can't see Family Man Mike holding that animosity against him, and he just seems more mellowed out in some ways--at peace. I wanted to see him actually at Dunder Mifflin at the end, but it makes sense that he would want to get back to his family; it's actually a very tasteful reflection of his development how he still loves and values them, so he was at the wedding, but he also wanted to get back. A scene of him telling, say, Jim, Pam, Dwight, and Angela that he won't be able to make it to the party in the warehouse because he has to catch a plane to get home would've been nice. I'm glad for what we got, though. Not gonna lie: the moment that they panned to Michael, and then the exchange with him and Dwight had me sobbing and laughing all at once.

EDIT: Yeah, I did miss Holly, too, but it was good to get the confirmation that they're together and have a family now.

All the Michael scenes brought back the huge nostalgia factor. It made me smile, brought back memories and emotions. I agree. The idea that he was at peace now was very effective. Him smiling and sharing his life with Pam and Dwight nearly made me cry. But I wish we got to see him with Holly and show perhaps just some reflection on this documentary. Maybe some remark on Jim and Pam who were so close to him. Or about Erin who used to be like a daughter to him.

But I understand the restraint. Michael had his big moment with his own departure from the Office. I still remember how that episode actually made me tear up. Just so emotional. It's why despite the inevitable fall it had with season 8, I can never hate this damn show. We've been through too much with these characters.

Yeah, one of my big disappointments is that there was no hint of follow-up to the very touching last conversation with Michael and Erin. I know they needed to let it stand on its own without him, but it would've been fantastic to see her on the phone with Michael as she deals with the Andy/Plop situation, or even better, the situation with her really wanting to find her birth parents. Something like that. You don't even have to hear him, just her fragments of the conversation and then a "Thanks, Michael." Something like that.

And yes, I bawled several times in "Goodbye, Michael," particularly Dwight reading the letter of recommendation (when it starts to register on his face, I just started sobbing), and definitely the conversation with Jim and Michael. And I agree, it wasn't just Michael: I loved the whole ensemble. That's why I never understood people who said that episode should have been the end of the show. Michael ending up with Holly was good, but it wouldn't have been whole if the last we see of these other folks that I love is them realizing DeAngelo Vickers could be trouble. Now, if they had planned the season to be the last one, and thus the end of that episode would've been different, then maybe.

I've been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers. Now that the series is over, here are my thoughts on the last few episodes, and the finale specifically.

For me, The Office started declininig after the Writer's Strike (middle of season 4), and despite a few dips and bumps, that trend has continued. It flatlined sometime in the 7th or 8th season, but it was pretty low when it flatlined. I still was a devoted follower, out of a sense of obligation and tradition more than anything else. It became a show that was good for one-liners and clever gags, but most of the character arcs became completely unbelievable, and some of the characters became pretty unlikeable. Also, the major dramatic subplots of the last few seasons have been so fast-paced (especially relative to the ingeniously slow development of the Jim/Pam story) that unexpected dramatic turns are just not very interesting anymore.

To me, these last few episodes mostly just continued that flatline. The season finale was a slight uptick just for all the nostalgia-- Devon's and Michael's return especially--and the bittersweet sense of finality. But there are elements of the story that just are too unbelivable, and characters that are just too unlikable, to really have an impact.

So overall--an enjoyable finale, although like the other recent seasons, I don't think it was very good. I am sad to see this show come to an end, mostly because of the great 3.5 seasons, but at the same time I recognize that it massively overstayed its welcome.

The Office 9x16 Moving On - Uh, what was this? Something was off about this episode, and when 20 minutes had passed and was over I realized it was a double-length one. Looking it up on wikipedia, I see it was intended to be a single episode, but NBC asked them to make it an hour for some reason. So basically they kept in all the parts they would have cut for time, and maybe then added more stuff too, I dunno. Anyways, you can definitely feel the bloat! The parts with Angela and Dwight on the farm were funny and cute, and no surprise they made out at the end.
Pam not wanting to work in Philadelphia was no surprise. This season is really testing Jim's values - soon he's going to have to choose between this job and Pam and his kids (the choice will be obvious). Oh, Bob Odenkirk was BRILLIANT at both parodying Michael Scott, and being unique in his own righ at the same time. All his scenes were great.
The Andy/Erin/Pete subplot was the weak part, and just felt sooo dragged on and unrealistic. Gabe was pretty funny though. The minor subplot with Toby and Nellie, and him visiting the Scranton Strangler was pretty funny. I guess the right guy is behind bars afterall, and there will be no late season surprise about the real Scranton Strangler. Oh well.
The button at the end of the episode with the ad on Oscar's computer showing "The Office: An American Workplace" airing in May is surely setting up a season finale about the documentary footage airing and the character's reaction to it!

I thought the same thing--then a friend told me that this was actually meant to be a pilot for a spin-off about Dwight! It wasn't recieved very well though, so they decided against it. But that explains why it felt so out-of-place, and why it created so many loose threads.

It was a really good finale, especially considering the show probably should have ended two seasons ago. I also wish there was more Michael Scott.

I still think that if they were going to end it with season 7, it would have needed to be a different season.

Woah, this show only just ended?

A quick wiki check shows I stopped watching this in late 2009. It wasn't bad (far from it), but I guess I just broke off my usual routine. Given Ed Helms and Steve Carell have been busy with movies lately, I'd assumed it had ended years ago.

I still think that if they were going to end it with season 7, it would have needed to be a different season.

Yes, I agree with this. I wouldn't have wanted Season 7 to be the last season exactly the way it was, but I think ideally, they should have planned for it to be the end from the beginning, and found ways to wrap up not only Michael's story, but everyone else's as well. Looking at the show's development, I don't think there was really any good reason for it to have gone on more than 7 seasons.

Every show should only go on for 7 seasons. But it worked out well for the Office, season 9 was really good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 2/7/2013 at 12:33 AM, Koray Savas said:

Glad I stopped watching this after Season 3 :P

So 6 years later I was wrong about this! Been watching the series on and off for the past few months to catch up on what I missed. While certainly not of a consistent quality throughout, once I threw out the notion of taking the show seriously in any way, it became a lot more enjoyable. The ensemble cast is just so strongly written that the character bits write themselves later into the series.

I used to unfairly judge this show because of how much I loved Gervais’ original, but this one really came into its own when I gave it a second chance. Loved the finale and how they wrapped up all the characters. 

Yeah definitely undeniable that the US version successfully became its own thing, pretty much against all odds. It starts out like a mirror (I think the pilot even uses the exact same script?) but to its credit Michael, Dwight, Jim, and Pam aren't anything like David, Gareth, Tim, and Dawn once it gets rolling.

I still rewatch episodes here and there but haven't gone through a full season (much less the series) since it ended. I remember Season 3 being my favorite, though, and then felt like it slowwwwwly ran out of gas but with plenty of great episodes until Carell left. Was not a fan of most of the second-to-last season with James Spader but am sort of curious to rewatch it, I thought it was a chore week by week but maybe wouldn't be so bad binged all together. The final episodes of the series were worth it, anyway.

Did you like the Brent cameo? :P