What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The near complete score for Young's Spider-Man 3. Definitely my favorite of the Spider-Man scores. It sucks that this score will most likely not get a legit release. :(

I've played Streitenfeld's The Grey and Prometheus several times recently, and I really enjoy both.

I will concede that I found both very dull until I saw the films, but subsequently they both just clicked. There are actually 3 or 4 themes in both scores - they're just more subtle than many. I'm sure it also helps that I liked both movies, and the 'damper' sound that many find dull and depressing, I find very affecting.

I also listened through Brave. Wonderful listen, with the caveat that I've removed Show Us the Way from my playlist, as it adds nothing for me.

Listening to the OST of Return of the King right now. The first time since a few years.

I always find it funny how the opening logos for ROTK and the Gondor theme in the OST version of the beacon lighting must be the only two times in the trilogy when Howard Shore uses a single triangle hit.

I'd would even go as far and say it would one of the strongest scores in his entire career.

Karol

I would've loved to hear what Elfman would've conjured up for The Hunger Games, had he not had schedule conflicts.

0001803326_350.jpg

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD - Romer & Zeitlin

Part folksy, part new age, part Thomas Newman, BotSW (ahhh, finally a moniker of my own) is a pleasant new score and has got the best new theme for a feature film in 2012 - together with Horner's SPIDERMAN and Newton Howards SNOW WHITE. The director obviously is a former grunge band member and it shows in the idiosyncratic instrumental touches. Most cues are rather short, so just get the 6:30 end title off iTunes or amazon and be happy.

Red Canvas by James Peterson: An accomplished and nicely old fashioned score, the style at times harkening back to such composers as Miklós Rózsa but still maintaining more modern sensibilities throughout. Peterson's work is versatile and he obviously had a lot of leeway with the music as it is so unabashedly romantic and dramatic. The highlights are the action material, especially the finale, Ballet for Brawlers. I don't even like to imagine how this would have accompanied the film (which by description sounds awful) but as a listening experience it is a fun, energetic and strongly thematic piece with strong orchestral writing and sensibility.

The album is rounded out by what could be called Peterson's show reel,the Moving Images Suite, which basically showcases the composer's abilities with different styles, idioms and film music genres in orchestral setting, the pieces being at the same time nice warm nods to the masters of film music, Goldsmith, Williams and others clearly stylistically referenced throughout but also showing Peterson's own melodic gifts.

Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri

I don't care what you guys think.... I love this score. It's a bit bombastic for the film it's written for, and it hits all the fantasy score cliches in the book. But the melodies and themes are beautiful and accessible, especially Yvaine's theme. Then add in the splendid cues like "Flying Vessel", "Cap'ns at the Helm" and "The Star Shines" are just wonderful. The action-themed cues like "Septimus", "Lamia's Lair" and "Zombie Fight" are a bit too percussive and could've been toned down a bit.

And this album deserves to be cranked up full volume. Give me this more cliche stuff than the bland Zimmer/MV sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyRBEXrpKsY

Alexandre Desplat: EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

Varied and melancholy Desplat effort from 2011, written in a hurry as a replacement for Nico Muhly's score in late 2011. It clocks in at over 1 hour and while it isn't a shining beacon of originality (lots of piano, flurry flutes and strings) it certainly is one of the best showcases of what Desplat has to offer. The portentous film is kitsch éxtraordinaire, so the score has to do a lot of heavy lifting - resulting in a fluid and multi-thematic score which rarely fails to offer something new (i counted at least 5 themes/motifs, all of them varied permanently). It's certainly more entertaining than the HARRY POTTER stuff Desplat wrote.

Super 8

After a long while of editing and re-editing, I hit on a ridiculously simple album arrangement. Flies right by at 42 minutes, and if it doesn't have every highlight it's still (purely my opinion) a pretty good listening experience.

1. Super 8

2. Mom's Necklace

3. Aftermath Class*

4. Shootus Interruptus

5. Alice Projects on Joe

6. Neighborhood Watch - Fail

7. The Evacuation of Lillian*

8. Lambs on the Lam

9. Woodward's Home Movies

10. The Siege of Lillian

11. Letting Go

12. Super 8 Suite

* means some microedits were made. Nothing earthshattering, just shortening some string drones.

Thanks for the recommendation publicist. Desplat's output is so prolific I do not have the time or the means to listen to it all but I'll take a look at EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE score more closely. :)

The opening of your post makes it sound like it's been bashed. I don't think anyone here is familiar with it aside from Marian and maybe one or two other posters.

Add gkgyver and me to the list. I really like that score, and there's some nice unreleased music as well.

I like it, haven't seen the film though.

You should see it. I think you'd like it. It has De Niro in it. What movies with De Niro don't you like? None!

I mean who doesn't like to see DeNiro?

act all gay and cross dress?!!!

No one, that's who!

And yes the score is an entertaining one with some MV mannerisms and obvious inspirations from composers like Elfman but on the whole very decent effort.

Thanks for spoiling the most awesome sequence in the film, idiot!

I spoiler tagged it just for you BloodBoal. Enjoy!

Yeah that one sounded familiar and then I realized that it was partly quoting the Shire Theme's Hymn setting quite shamelessly from 1:49 onwards and HGW's Narnia score. :P

RCP chord progressions are safe and time honored way of scoring anything. Unoffensive and people of all ages love them.

Well RCP composers use their chords usually as blunt instruments. Very dangerous. Listeners could accidentally be bludgeoned to death.

Stardust is a WONDERFUL film that took me completely by surprise. I went in not really expecting much but was really surprised by how much I loved it.

Can't say I've ever listened to the score (or could have told you who scored it before today), maybe I'll have to check it out.

Can't say I've ever listened to the score (or could have told you who scored it before today), maybe I'll have to check it out.

You loved the movie but didn't buy the score? The two times I saw it, I knew I had to buy the CD. The montage with Yvaine and Tristan on Cap'n Shakespeare's ship ("Cap'ns At the Helm") was the tipping point.

I am a bit disappointed some of the finer bits of music being unrereleased. But the CD represents the best parts of the score.

There's hardly any movie that makes me notice the score the first time I see it. I'm there to watch the movie, and not try to find my next film score purchase. If the composer did he job, you shouldn't even notice the score the first time you see the film.

For Star Wars nope, as a kid I just watched movies and enjoyed them. In middle school when Super Star Wars and Super Empire Strikes Back came out for SNES and I would go to the music menu and play the tracks was when I realized I liked movie music outside of the films, and subsequently made my first film score purchase, the Star Wars Anthology 4CD set.

For FOTR, I was already familiar with the OST before I saw the film.

Jerry Goldsmith - Rudy

Nice little score. Was working while it was on, gotta listen again and pay more attention. I like the flow the album has.

Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future

Randomly decided to listen to this last week (probably because of Marc's wonderful cover of the skateboard chase), my first listen in quite a while. The OSTs for 2 and 3 were among my earliest film score purchases, and really almost all the music here is covered in some way on those discs. However, taken on its own, this is still a completely wonderful score, one of the best of the adventure genre. In addition to the blasts of the main theme and fanfare, the quieter discovery, suspense, and thoughtful moments are all terrifically well-done. I skip the source music and "alternate version" entirely whenever listening (though I am very glad Intrada included them), its a strong listening experience that way.

He posted his thoughts on Dexter here at first. He must have realized it was the wrong thread afterwards. That's why he edited his post.

This. I wish there was a way to delete my posts.