Marvel's Agent Carter

Jay

• 1 month later...

Right, because when watching any other show named after it's lead character, you expect them to die at any time :rolleyes:

I always expect Batman, Superman, Capt'n America to die. But never Wolverine.

I even expected Arrow to die.

I keep seeing trashy shows like Flash, Arrow, Gotham and an upcoming Superman prequel series too...

Is the Golden Age of TV coming to an end?

Right, because when watching any other show named after [its] lead character, you expect them to die at any time :rolleyes:

Well, at any given moment, a lead character in these sci-fi, fantasy, or comic books shows could be killed and replaced by his clone or exact duplicate.

I'm not saying Ensign Harry Kim was a lead character or anything, but he's a good example.

Soap operas do it all the goddamn time and viewers just eat it up like it's normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't watch the premiere yet, but caught 20 minutes or so after Twin Peaks while getting ready for bed. Seemed pretty well done, and damn Lennertz's score was awesome!

I watched a few minutes of the titular character in a tit-ular dress with some gizmo, but the signal was getting choppy and intermittent. So I just watched Netflix instead.

• 2 months later...
Agent Carter 1x01 Now Is Not The End

Well, this was great! The teaser introduces us to Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) via a nice recap of the end of the first Captain America (footage from the movie appears here and a few more times throughout, nicely reformatted to 16:9), and then the first act sets up the season's plot: A year after World War II, Steve Rogers is still missing, and Peggy is working for the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve, the company that Rogers was drafted into to become the first candidate in their Super Soldier program during the war, and basically the company that will become SHIELD in the future). However, she is mostly stuck doing office work as the men get all the field agent assignments. Meanwhile, Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper, also reprising his role from Captain America) is under fire from Congress for selling weapons to enemies of the US. The SSR is put on the case when he does not show up to his final hearing, and Peggy seems to be the only one to think he must be falsely accused. He approaches Peggy one night with his butler Edwin Jarvis (Tony Stark in the future will name his JARVIS AI after him and his personality - James D'Arcy is great in this role and is reminiscent of Bettany's vocal performance in the Iron Man movies). Stark reveals that he had a lot of dangerous inventions in a vault in his house, but was recently robbed. He has to flee the country, but instructs Jarvis to help Peggy in any way he can. And off we go to the first mission!

This week's mission involves nitramene, a dangerous chemical compound Stark created that can cause massive implosions. Peggy does great spy work tracking it down from a buyer, staying ahead of the SSR guys on the same case. This involves going under cover at a party in a fancy dress, and having to kick ass in it. This reminded me of Alias, of which this is a bit of a spiritual sucessor. Everything ends in a showdown at Roxxon Oil (also mentioned in the Iron Man movies) where some cool sci-fi stuff happens. A very strong introductory episode that leaves you wanting to immediately watch the next!

Atwell shines as Peggy Carter, but the breakout star here is James D'Arcy as Jarvis - he's dapper and meticulous, extremely handy and loyal. Him and Peggy seem to have a little chemistry too (though he's married, so I doubt it will lead anywhere). Shea Wigman is also great as the boss at SSR, as is Enver Gjokaj (from Dollhouse) as Sousa, a crippled agent who is one of the few who sympathizes with Peggy at SSR.

So, we have a great cast, interesting storyline, some slick action and fight scenes, and a really great setting. I love that we are getting a whole miniseries set in the 1940's - the set design is wonderful, and the fact that little sci-fi elements get infused makes it all the more interesting. I didn't even mention that the bad guys use a typewriter hooked up to some kind of trannsmitter to communicate (which of course reminded me of a similar device in Fringe).

I would also be remiss to not mention the score by Christopher Lennertz, which is terrific! He gives Peggy a great main theme remininscent of Silvestri's Captain America Theme (not in terms of melody, I mean more the "feel" of it, it evokes the same sense of pride and honor that Silvestri's theme dis for Rogers, almost saying that Peggy is continuing on his legacy in his absense). And after that, his cues weave in between lots of great period songs amping up the action, suspense, or mystery as needed. I would LOVE an OST release of this score!

Agent Carter 1x02 Bridge and Tunnel

The chase continues for the milk truck full of nitramine bombs. Loved the montage of Peggy at the dairy plant finding out the name of the missing truck's driver. Good to see Leland Palmer from Twin Peaks as the president of Roxxon. Funny how vita rays (which is what made Steve Rogers into Captain America) are a byproduct of the bombs. Nice sequence where Peggy subdues the Roxxon employee who had been making the bombs. Then Peggy and Jarvis team up and have a nice sequence where they find the driver and ultimate get into a crazy fist fight on top of the truck that leads to another nitramine explosion. Luckily they are left with a clue, a symbol drawn in the dirt by Brannis. I liked the twist that he was Leviathan but is now opposed to them.

The bit where Dooley and crew find the driver tied to the chair was funny, and its nice they are getting some clues to follow: the room key of the dude who was pursuing Brannis, and at the end Krzeminski finds the license plate of Stark's car that Jarvis and Peggy were in, in the imploded rubble of the Roxxon refinery. I also enjoyed the running element throughout the episode that Peggy is reticent to allow anyone get close to her because of her roommate's death. It's nice that she agrees to move into the women's housing her waitress friend recommended that the end, that could be interesting.

This show is really good!

Saw this episode, wasn't really convinced.

Apparently, there are rumors saying the show might get cancelled.

According to the Marvel, this was just a miniseries, not necessarily an ongoing. So even if it never comes back, it's not really a cancellation, per se. Although I'm sure if the viewership was big enough to justify it, they'll find a reason to bring her back again.

I can see them filling the hiatus of SHIELD with all sorts of diverse Marvel miniseries in the future.

I did really like Agent Carter, though, so I'd be happy to see it again.

Forgot to mention that in Episode 1, the scientist at Stark Industries they go visit to learn about the nitramine bomb is Anton Vanko - the father of Mickey Rourke's Whiplash character from Iron Man 2 :)

Agent Carter 1x03 Time and Tide

The SSR finds the bad guys' typewriter in his hotel room and bring it back to headquarters, where they deduce what it is. Certainly its only a matter of time until it activates and relays a message.

Dooley and Krzeminski bring Jarvis into custody after learning the license plate in the Roxxon implosion is to Stark's car that he drives. They threaten him with deportation due to some treason charges they find out about - and Peggy has to pretend they made a big mistake to get him out of custody, which loses her all the respect she had been building up (this was a little confusing). In return Jarvis tells Peggy about the charges, and its great to learn more about Jarvis. His story about the "treason", and how Stark got him out of a big jam, leading to why Jarvis is so loyal to him is all nicely done. He is being the breakout character / actor of this show!

Jarvis and Peggy finally get to search Stark's vault, and realize the thieves floated the goods out to the ocean, where they spot a boat with the symbol Brannis drew in the dirt. On that boat they find all the inventions and a henchmen, who Peggy has to subdue while Jarvis calls in an anonymous tip (after convincing Peggy that they must continue to operate in secret, and that she cannot get credited with this huge lead in the case).

Crazy ending, where an assassin shoots both Krzeminski and the captured henchmen (who knows Peggy was there) in cold blood. Who is the assassin, and did they kill to protect Peggy's identity - or for the bad guys? Dooley has a nice moment at the end where he reminds the SSR that Krzeminski would still be alive if it weren't for Howard Stark - he may not have pulled the trigger himself, but it all started with him. Damn!

Agent Carter 1x04 The Blitzkrieg Button

Nice excuse for an opening fight scene as Jarvis and Carter smuggle Stark back into NYC. Love his antics in Carter's woman's home. Dooley continues his investigation into the battle of Finow, which I still don't fully understand. A bunch of Russians were killed, but not by the Germans as the public believes... ok? Enjoyed Sousa and Thompson's interrogation of the dock scene witness (the homeless guy). It was nice that Thompson was the guy who got the info cause he had mostly been a dick so far. Some nice espionage by Carter as she sneaks into the SSR lab room and swaps one of the weapons, and its a nice twist that it actually contains Steve Rogers' blood. This gives Peggy a nice emotional investment in the goings-on. I like that she kicks Stark out when she finds out, and how regretful Jarvis is of the whole thing.

Pretty crazy ending. They spend all episode building up some blonde guy with a crazy automatic pistol, and at the end he's sneaking into Peggy's building to kill her (I guess).... when he runs into Dottie, who swifly snaps his neck cause she wants his gun! Holy hell! Is she the one who killed Krzeminski? And then, the captured typewriter springs to life, delivering a message from Leviathan!

Agent Carter 1x05 The Iron Ceiling

So Dottie appears to be a part of the Black Widow program, neat! The MCU callbacks continue with this week's mission: Peggy and Thompson (and some red shirts) go to Russia after intercepting a coded transmission on the confiscated typewriter. There they meet up with the 107th - Roger and Carter's unit from WW2 as seen in Captain America: The First Avenger, and Neal McDonough returns as Dum Dum Dugan. They run into another girl in the Black Widow program that was pretty bad ass, and have to fight some Leviathan members to rescue some scientists they had captured to work on some of Stark's weapon designs.

Meanwhile Dottie infiltrates Peggy's apartment - I assumed she was looking for Roger's blood, but she doesn't seem to know about that. Instead she finds Peggy's camerapen pictures of Stark's inventions, so know the Russians know which of them the SSR has. She has a creepy moment with Peggy's lipstick and mirror at the end, like she thinks she'll be able to replace her someday? And she still goes to sleep handcuffed, which is also creepy. Now I assume since the assassin that killed Krzeminski and the witness is her (since the assassin was wearing a full face mask), but I don't understand the motivation for that hit (especially since the SSR still got all the tech).

Dooley uncovers a bit more about the Battle of Finow. This subplot I don't really get or know where its supposed to be going. Jarvis only had two short scenes this week, one apologizing to Carter for not explaining about Steve's blood, and one with Dooley. Sousa finally figures out the blonde at the nitramine sale was Carter. This could get interesting!

Agent Carter 1x06 A Sin To Err

After not having much to do last week, Jarvis is back in the swing of things, teaming up with Peggy to investigate the girls Stark had recently bedded, since Peggy convinces Dooley that a Black Widow program girl could have been used to gain acess to his vault. There's a great fight inside the diner when Sousa reveals that he knows Peggy is the girl they've been looking for after talking to the henchman from the milk truck incident. Love how it was scored with a 1940's standard. The show continues to have a great blend of period songs and original score.

Awesome twist this week where they make you think Dottie is going to kill the turned Leviathan scientist, only to use it to reveal that the guy is actually still working for Leviathan, and messages her to kill Peggy. Really well done scene! Not a fan of him using some kind of hypnosis ring to get info from that redshirt and having him kill himself, was too farfetched for my taste.

Another good extended sequence is the hunt for Peggy in the woman's home. Loved how Angie covered for her, that Peggy got to thank her, and then bam, the hallway confrontation between Peggy and Dottie. Seems like Dottie was going to kill her right there in the hallway before SSR showed up. Now SSR has Peggy and she has a lot of explaining to do. Great cliffhanger!

We get to learn a bit more about Dooley and his wife this week, nice backstory. I like that the show eventually gets to all the main characters and fills in their backstories. Really well done show all around!

• 3 weeks later...

I started to watch the pilot but her ample cleavage distracted me about why I was watching. I think it was opposite a live sports game I preferred to watch anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...