What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I'm on my phone

That's no excuse for not looking at your post after submitting, realizing something's wrong, and fixing it. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

That's no excuse for not looking at your post after submitting, realizing something's wrong, and fixing it. 

Who are you? His mother?

Seriously though, your finger wagging tone is starting to grate.

11 hours ago, Hawmy said:

The Iron Giant. Good, but not the best thing I've ever seen.

It's always awfully disappointing when something I've just watched isn't the best thing I've ever seen. 

Bullet To The Head - didn't Walter Hill use to make GOOD action movies? I turned this utterly, utterly mediocre Stallone flick off after 25 minutes. Maybe the last hour was awesome, but somehow I doubt it.

Thunderball. I liked it for the most part but it takes awhile to get going and the underwater stuff can get a bit tedious. 

I think Claudine Auger might be my favourite Bond Girl though. 

Star Trek: Generations (1994)

Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Rick Berman, some kid holding a tribble or something while they're evacuating the Enterprise, etc.

I guess it will always be one of my favorite movies. It has its problems. We all do. But then, there's the meeting of Captains Kirk and Picard and I know there will never be a more legendary meeting...ever. It certainly has that feel of being a bloated TV movie at many points. But I can't help but be entertained. The cinematography is fantastic. I think the elements of the film I appreciate more these days are the emotional turmoils of the characters. Picard's difficulties coping with loss, getting older and leaving no legacy. Data experiencing all these emotions and losing control of his mind. Soran retreating to the Nexus, which is basically his Eden. These are all things I can relate to one way or another.

I don't think it has any problems.  It's a great Trek film, a great Christmas film.  Warm and inviting cinematography, and the score, well, we know the score is better than everything. The film's whole thematic thrust has to be the most poignant the franchise has ever tackled, for me.  Similar to TFF.

You Only Live Twice. 

My least favourite of the SC Bonds. Not helped by what Austin Powers has done to it. Robbie Williams didn't help either. 

Bond becoming a Japanese man was just plain weird. 

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

You Only Live Twice. 

My least favourite of the SC Bonds. Not helped by what Austin Powers has done to it. Robbie Williams didn't help either. 

Bond becoming a Japanese man was just plain weird. 

Its a film I loved when I was a teenager. But not so much anymore. It actually does play more like a Bond parody these days. 

Still good fun though, and that score!

On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 

I expected worse. Lazenby wasn't the best Bond but I was expecting way worse. In terms of tone it's probably the closest to the Craig films I thought. The film is probably 15-20 minutes too long though. 

The he music was good. It's John Barry though so what else would one expect? 

You our certainly have to admire Bond's stamina and commitment to the job ?

OHMSS is the best of the classic Bonds, and Lazenby is fine. Dalton is closer to Craig than Lazenby is, though.

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Those who blame Moore for the series becoming more comedic in the 70s seem to have forgotten about DAF ... 

DAF was crap. But that doesn't make me like Moore any better.

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 

I expected worse. Lazenby wasn't the best Bond but I was expecting way worse. In terms of tone it's probably the closest to the Craig films I thought. The film is probably 15-20 minutes too long though. 

The he music was good. It's John Barry though so what else would one expect? 

You our certainly have to admire Bond's stamina and commitment to the job ?

Last time I watched OHMSS i noticed how close it was to the Craig films in terms of style.

Great film, or would have been if it wasnt for Lazenby, who lacks both the charisma and the grit for the role.

Mulan
Not so good.  The underlying emotional potential of the story is undermined by an overabundance of "hip" humor, breakneck pacing, thin characterization, middling songs, and a lame villain.  Even the animation is fairly underwhelming (apart from a couple of standout sequences).
The score is far and away the best part of the movie.  They really should have just gone the Treasure Planet/Atlantis route; cutting the songs entirely and leaving the score more breathing room.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Last time I watched OHMSS i noticed how close it was to the Craig films in terms of style.

Great film, or would have been if it wasnt for Lazenby, who lacks both the charisma and the grit for the role.

He's a bit wooden alright. I think he knew he wasn't right for the role himself though to be fair. 

The ski stunts are cool!

Lazenby doesn't do too badly at all for my money ... maybe in places his inexperience shows a little, but it could've been a lot worse. He handles the movie's tragic ending superbly, I think.

That said, it was his physicality that most impressed the producers and that led to his hiring.  

The Hunchback of Notre Damne 
My second favorite or so of the "Disney Renaissance". It's flawed for sure. The comic relief is forced, and there are some questionable narrative choices, but it makes up for it with great music, an emotionally sweeping narrative, and the best villain of any Disney movie. Menken's score is probably his best, despite a few moments of bland comedy scoring (you can't have a Disney movie without them!).  

Yeah, "A Guy Like You", is easily the worse song. But when you have sequences with animation and musical quality of the opening number and Hellfire, and lot can be forgiven. It might not be the best Disney movie ever, but its highs are among the pinacle