Expanded Harry Potter albums in the works?

crocodile

If this is true, it's great news and I hope they do it right. Seems there's some on-the-right-track thinking going on already if they're contemplating 3-CD releases.

I'd buy all eight. Okay, the music of 4-8 isn't the same as if Williams was at the helm, but I find most of it enjoyable anyway.

They can keep 4-8.

Sessions for 1 and 2 are out, just give me PoA at a reasonable price.

For a strict minimum that's the right answer. Official c.d.'s of already leaked sessions is nice but sometimes leaked sessions remain superior to whatever is officially released

I don't care about 4-8 either

Even with the sessions for 1 and 2 being out, 1-3 are still more worthy of being released officially than 4-8 IMO.

They can keep 4-8.

Sessions for 1 and 2 are out, just give me PoA at a reasonable price.

For a strict minimum that's the right answer. Official c.d.'s of already leaked sessions is nice but sometimes leaked sessions remain superior to whatever is officially released

There are a number of scores for which I have this problem. As satisfying as it is to own a legit release, a full leak lets you be producer. Particularly with Potter 1, which leaked in lossless, and I'm also a fan of the tracking.

I always prefer official releases even though some sessions may be leaked. Leaks are more often than not in mp3 quality and at times in raw form. Then you have to normalize and tinker with a file degrading the quality even more. (Of course there are always exceptions too)

Improved sound quality for me is one of the prime reasons i love all the expanded/complete releases. Second is of course to get all the unreleased stuff. Labels offer an improved sound quality in about 95 percent of the cases i would say. They are fans like we and know how to best master a score and still preserve the dynamic range.

Whenever there is an official release for a leaked complete score, I feel morally obligated to purchase it, else I would feel being a thief. There is being put a lot of work into official expanded release by Lalala and others, which should be rewarded regardless of any Recording Sessions availability. These are just an additional bonus.

Sessions rarely contain everything either. There might be all sorts of goodies that haven't leaked in the TPS and COS sessions that might be included on CDs. Plus, I think it's only right that where possible, we should be supporting the labels by purchasing these things.

Precisely. Okay, I don't want a set that has every take ever recorded, that'd be a monster of a set for each film, but at the same time, I concur that at its very core these sets should have whatever their representative recording sessions leaks have, especially in the case of TPS and COS.

If they did a 5000 run of PS/SS, how many of those buyers would have the session leaks in their possession? And how many of those have access to a decent audio editing program that can boost the volume?

That statement can be construed as suggesting that some of the owners of those sessions might be lazy if they can't do something as simple as a volume boost.

I can safely say that I would meet all of those criteria, though: I'd buy it in spite of the fact the sessions are out there, and in spite of the fact I can produce an edit that boosts the volume.

True. I think everyone here would buy official c.d. regardless of the sessions leak

Hmmm... there is a perfect sounding PS sessions out there. I have no interest in the second score, or any of the ones not by JW. I would not buy a box set just to get the third one in complete form.

Sorry.

not everybody, obviously...

I doubt they'd sell all eight in a box set. You'd need at least 3 CDs each film, that'd be a whopping 24 discs at the very least, which would dwarf anythinga label has done for a film series before. It's quite obvious to me they'll go the Star Trek route and release them one at a time.

Batch Processing.

Ditto. Can't think of any programs these days that don't have that simple function. And failing that, the freeware "FormatFactory" has a batch converter that allows you to adjust volume for whole conversions.

You'd need at least 3 CDs each film

Bollocks!!

I certainly can't fit the sessions of 1, 2 or 4 onto 2 CDs, even if we cut out the redundant takes. I'd assume it to be the same for the others. Rarely do the sessions contain all the alternates and suites either.

Hence, my belief that most of the Potter films, if not all eight, would require 3CD releases. It most certainly isn't likely to be in a box set either.

And to quote a post from earlier in this very thread:

Jason commented that the score would need to be 3-CD's if done properly (like how the sessions are).

MV replied

Agreed...not that I have given it any thought.

In context, you might be referring to PoA, but why would this not apply to the other scores?

I also noticed you said 17 discs earlier. Why 17? Are you expecting something like the Concord set where they pull a few select bits onto an extra disc? I'd personally expect alternates from each of the films and that'd take up more than a disc anyway.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if we'll ever know what the comment MV made about Harry Potter, preserved in the main post of this thread, was all about. That was almost 1 1/2 years ago now!

And John Williams will make some exciting editing decisions!

Don't forget that the liner notes open into a huge fold out poster of Fluffy!

We want to hear some new cues that weren't on the original album (not all of them, god forbid!) and some inexplicably truncated versions of things we already got.

Karol

I really hope they just take the score from the film stems, then conveniently forget to put a crucial piece on there, substituting it for the album version instead. We don't need the full ending reel score!

Then they should market it as every note written and call it "Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone: The Ultimate Edition".

If LLL (or another label) ever gets to do the Potters, if Williams nixes anything being included we can likely just fill it in from the session leak.

That's the shame with Hook - he nixed stuff like the Neverfeast Insert, which we don't have clean anywhere.

There are 3 things missing from the HP1 recording sessions leak:

-The first teaser cue

-The second teaser cue

-The ending of "2m2 You're A Wizard Harry" (the leaked version cuts off early).

We have everything else.

Yes - see here:

http://www.magicboxmusic.com/virtualresume/details.php?id=HPTSS

I would GUESS that WB kept a COPY of the tape before sending it off to Magic Box Music, and it simply didn't leak with the rest of the sessions because it was recorded so much earlier and the music editor of the film wouldn't have needed it.

But nothing more is publicly known about it.

Two days later when our DAT machine ate the master tape of this recording we thought our career was over.

Ugh!

On 5/6/2015 at 0:49 PM, Jay said:

I would GUESS that WB kept a COPY of the tape before sending it off to Magic Box Music,

I certainly hope so!

That's the shame with Hook - he nixed stuff like the Neverfeast Insert, which we don't have clean anywhere.

I have a pretty good version sourced presumably from the Blu-ray. It sounds good enough to me that I include it in my Hook playlist, but it is a shame that we don't have any of the Hook inserts, which are crucial.