Star Wars End Title when Luke's Theme kicks in for the second time

Zubin Mehta's version is really energetic. Sounds great. I am not sure if there is one particular cue or line within a cue that makes Williams Williams. There are so many wonderful moments - in Jurassic Park, for example, the second part of track 4 "Journey to the Island," when the characters are approaching the island in the helicopter - for me that is as good as it gets. I think on the whole his scores for dramas are somewhat less Williams-sy, though. As much as I enjoy "Born on the Fourth of July" and "The Book Thief" I do not think they approach the greatness in his action/adventure Lucas/Spielberg stuff. Except for "Earthquake." LOL

Can't say I dig the faster tempo, but I really love the part at 4:42 (especially the brass blasts underneath the main melody).

I dig the faster tempo... and the timpani & snare drum that help punctuate the brass. Masterful writing from Williams... and superb performances from the L.A. musicians. This was one of the first recordings of the full Star Wars Suite, and for me, its the best.

Is Zubin Mehta's version better than Gerhardt's?

Without a doubt - yes. Compare them yourself. Mehta's recording is superior in nearly every way. If I'm not mistaken, these were the first two recordings of the full Star Wars Suite.