Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I can't help thinking of Armageddon as an arthouse flick now since Criterion put out an edition.

It's like when Australia's publicly owned foreign language channel SBS starts airing mainstream Hollywood movies like CE3K, Twilight, Star Trek, etc. I just can't look at them the same way again!

23 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That oh so profound movie about racism, Richard. 

Racism? The only thing that I found about it wad that it was two hours long. I remember some cop pulling a lady from a car, and...that's about it. It's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't make that much of an impression. I'll have to watch it again.

As for the kinky-sex "Crash", with Holly Hunter"...

25 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

We've all been through this many times.

I haven't. :blink:

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Racism? The only thing that I found about it wad that it was two hours long. I remember some cop pulling a lady from a car, and...that's about it.

How could you have forgotten, Richard?! The film uses a sledgehammer to get the message through!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good enough on Netflix for me; It'll be another 20 years before I watch through the show again anyway

Yeah. But I still need to refill my drink every so often, and I still often pause the show when someone needs to pee. Changing the disc would help discourage long binge sessions. It's time to dust off my bike. 

We just brought bikes down from my in laws place this weekend. Looking forward to exploring our new town on them.

Wow, you're one weekend ahead of us. Ours have been stored in her mom's basement for almost two years. Now we have a place we can store them. This weekend, they emerge. 

FINALLY there is ACTUAL NEWS about THE ABYSS coming to Blu Ray

“We’ve done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it’s going to look insanely good,” Cameron said. “We’re going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time.”

He said to expect that some time early next year.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james-cameron-on-why-avatar-needs-three-sequels-and-details-on-an-abyss-blu-ray-release-1201821558/

Can't wait!

On 7/1/2016 at 11:31 AM, Jay said:

We're actually on 2.1 currently too since a rear spoker broke just before moving.  It's mostly fine.

On 7/2/2016 at 2:01 PM, Jay said:

Yes I have had 5.1 since 1999, I only have 2.1 because a speaker broke and haven't replaced it yet.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:11 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

What about the other two? You still either have two serviceable surround speakers or one serviceable centre.

Sorry for only replying to your question now.

What happened was: I have had a 5.1 setup for ages (Energy Encore, which was a subwoofer, a nice center channel, and then 4 identical bookshelf speakers for the fronts and rears.  I got it when I was like 19 years old in college and its been fine since then).  Then one day one of my rear channels broke, so we essentially had 4.1 for a while (there was no rear right, but it didn't really matter because most audio sent to the rear would be heard in the rear left anyway).  But then right before we moved into our house, the other rear channel broke.  I didn't want to watch in 5.1 mode with no rear speakers at all, because then anytihng sent to the rears only wouldn't be heard (we could end up missing key dialogue).  So I have my receiver set to just do Dolby Pro Logic to everything, so we the center, both fronts, and subwoofer are still being used.

I actually just brough new front speakers, so the existing fronts (bookshelf size) will now because my rears.  I'm going to mount them into the walls now that we own a damn house!

I've own a condo since 2007, the house is our second home.  I could have mounted speakers into the walls of the condo, but didn't want to.  The room was shaped funny and it would have been two more holes to have to patch some day.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've own a condo since 2007, the house is our second home.  I could have mounted speakers into the walls of the condo, but didn't want to.  The room was shaped funny and it would have been two more holes to have to patch some day.

I forgot. You have very specific denominations for different types of housing. In my language a "house" is a more generic term for any kind of home.

Well the condo was essentially apartment style housing, but I owned it.  But yes I shared a wall with my neighbor and didn't have my own yard or anything (just a small patio).  Now we own a real house with a garage and a yard and great distance between ourselves and the neighbors.  Its wonderful.

Time to get a really cranking sound system set up :):rock:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm going to mount them into the walls now that we own a damn house!

Please don't! Speakers are not designed to be screwed to a wall. They need air around them, so they can shift that air.

Put them on stands, by all means, but, please,  not up against a wall. 

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Please don't! Speakers are not designed to be screwed to a wall. They need air around them, so they can shift that air.

Put them on stands, by all means, but, please,  not up against a wall. 

You seem to be confused; the speakers themselves won't be inside the walls at all. In fact they'll have more air around them than they do now.