Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

Jay

Looks like this is gonna be a big hit. Nice to see a non franchise film doing well.

http://www.thewrap.com/vast-majority-of-gravity-advance-ticket-sales-are-for-3d-shows/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vast-majority-of-gravity-advance-ticket-sales-are-for-3d-shows

Apart from the visuals and acting another important thing that works in the film is the decision to set it completely in outer space. No scenes at Mission Control of worried technicians trying to deal with the situation. So scenes of relatives of either Stone or Kowalski suffering from uncertainty.

Looks like this is gonna be a big hit. Nice to see a non franchise film doing well.

http://www.thewrap.com/vast-majority-of-gravity-advance-ticket-sales-are-for-3d-shows/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vast-majority-of-gravity-advance-ticket-sales-are-for-3d-shows

Apart from the visuals and acting another important thing that works in the film is the decision to set it completely in outer space. No scenes at Mission Control of worried technicians trying to deal with the situation. So scenes of relatives of either Stone or Kowalski suffering from uncertainty.

It'll be a box-office hit, but unless it has a bigger-than-expected opening and legs, I don't think it'll be a huge blockbuster. But a WB exec speculates that with Gravity having a $40M+ opening in October, it'd "create a new window for a tentpole release."

I doubt it will do 800 - 1 Billion box office world wide. But I can see it do 500 - 600 million. For an 80 million buck film thats great.

But a WB exec speculates that with Gravity having a $40M+ opening in October, it'd "create a new window for a tentpole release."

Sigh...why don't they speculate that it might be a good idea to make blockbusters that is actually very well made!

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but here at least there doesn't appear to be much in the way of hype. The marketing has been non existent and nobody seems to be talking about it. I'm thinking sleeper hit in the UK.

It's high, but world wide, it's possible.

Remember this is the first film in quite a few years that people are searching out in 3D. The surcharge will help.

Also it's only 90 minutes, so theaters will be able to fit more screenings in per day.

Gravity has the best "underwear in space" scene since Sigourny changed clothes in Alien

Yes! Hot!!!

I hate excessively long movies anyway, but at an hour an half it's approaching animated movie territory. Such a rarity these days.

Just saw that The Lone Ranger is a 149 minutes long.

Lol GTFO

I'm just getting it out there in advance: if anyone comes along and defends that runtime they shall be auto-upgraded to full mupptard status in my settings, forever.

I hate excessively long movies anyway, but at an hour an half it's approaching animated movie territory. Such a rarity these days.

Just saw that The Lone Ranger is a 149 minutes long.

Lol GTFO

I'm just getting it out there in advance: if anyone comes along and defends that runtime they shall be auto-upgraded to full mupptard status in my settings, forever.

I think I already have that status so should I bother? I'll be the first to agree with you that films these days tend to be unnecessarily longer, but to completely dismiss a film you haven't seen based on its running time is very Cremers, isn't it? It's like saying something looks like a kids movie and then moving on...

The greatest westerns ever made all approach the 3-hour mark. If the next Leone masterpiece was made today would scoff at it when you found out about its legnth?

Take this as you will, I'm not defending The Lone Ranger really, but it was definitely the best blockbuster I saw this year.

Congratulations Koray.

It was like playing pass the parcel with just you. I mean you on your own. The prize inside was you.

The greatest westerns ever made all approach the 3-hour mark. If the next Leone masterpiece was made today would scoff at it when you found out about its length?

k7D2i4h.gif

But you don't think a 250 million "western" epic based on a character with almost zero audience appeal which flopped horrible potentially has issues with it's running time?

Did I ever say it didn't have issues with its running time? No, I said don't discriminate films because you have issues sitting in one spot for more than 2 hours. Either way, the reason it flopped was right there in your post, it's a nonfranchise with zero audience appeal.

There's no room for big budget westerns in Hollywood.

Dave and I saw it tonight, my sister saw it roughly at the same time in St. Louis.

I know that Dave, Rene'e and I are in agreement, it's a great film on it's own right.

perhaps one of the great achievements ever in Special Effects because nothing feels like an effect. Sandra B is incredible. In space no one can here you panic.

George Clooney plays a hero, that's what Matt is, a hero.

I felt oxygen deprived in the film.

we all stayed for the final scene at the end of the credits,

after all Sandra's character Ryan went through for her to see the statue of liberty on the beach at the end with the apes on horse back racing up behind her, wow, just wow.;

Im fine with Bullock. But I also think Cotillard could have been an interesting choice.

And I am so damn excited for this movie.

No she would not, she is incapable as an actress to provide the empathy that Sandra does.

That film was so gay. Sandra is an old cow and far from being a hottie these days. Cotillard would have been epic. Cotillard and her epic rack would have been massive. Would have been a decent boner for me at least.

Admin note: Picture removed, user banned.

seriously. you really need to post elsewhere, no need for that. and who want's bologna after a swim.

OMG!!! NOOOO TITS????

What are we gonna do...what are we gonna do????

What is the children see this?

perhaps one of the great achievements ever in Special Effects because nothing feels like an effect. Sandra B is incredible. In space no one can here you panic.

George Clooney plays a hero, that's what Matt is, a hero.

I felt oxygen deprived in the film.

I felt dizzy.

The film looks like they shot it on location and destroyed a bunch of space satellites.

Re: The Lone Ranger. I've actually seen it. It doesn't have running time problems per se. It does have different ones, a problem with female characters for example, and a series of details that could be trimmed for a more fluid experience, but between cutting one thing and fixing the other you end up with something of more or less the same length. Around 140-135 minutes it could be and work fine with a simple non-traumatic rewrite and a re-edit. No, we don't need the Rango-ish CGI bunnies.

Gravity will probably be the best or among the best big films of the year. Where the summer releases are concerned I preferred The Lone Ranger, which was in an entirely different league from other summer blockbuster entries despite being a big, dumb, cartoony Bruckheimer production, which is interesting.

Chaac - who actually likes long films(*), but realizes Gravity is limited in running time due to being almost an animated film that must look as photorealistic as possible and that it doesn't have a complicated story.

(*)Provided they don't become boring. The Tree of Life was merely 139 minutes and once the interesting parts were over I felt I was going insane. It was So. Insanely. Boring. On the other hand, the long cut of The Fellowship of the Ring just flies through. What? Is it already over?

OMG!!! NOOOO TITS????

What are we gonna do...what are we gonna do????

What is the children see this?

That's is , the board should be blocked in Britain now. Bye Quint