Upcoming Films

Quintus

Lol, unfortunate choice there; there's people out there who remember The Golden Child well, and love it like so many love The Goonies.

Yeah, strangely held in high fond regard by a lot of eighties children, The Golden Child is. I've never actually seen it.

THE GOLDEN CHILD was, per IMDB, 10 millions ahead of FERRIS's 70 million gross. The argument is a paper tiger. The point remains: the rule for classics you try to establish concerns mostly academia. There are myriads of reasons why old Doris Day movies or SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT still last - and they are as elusive to the makers as to people who like to revisit them again and again.

Well, I remember the monster success that was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but that doesn't mean the film has any relevance today. San Francisco was the most successful film of its year but it's quite meaningless today. It's not part of today's moviegoers' vocabulary. Blade Runner and Citizen Kane were flops in their day but more people know about them now than they did back then. Unlike these, The Golden Child is not a movie that is being constantly pick up and debated by newer generations. That's what I mean with 'remembering'. History will forget about them, just like it will forget about you or me. Only a few will keep on living.

Of course, I have no knowing about how kind history will be for Avatar. I'm only saying that I don't think it will be treated as a great film.

Alex

THE GOLDEN CHILD was, per IMDB, 10 millions ahead of FERRIS's 70 million gross. The argument is a paper tiger. The point remains: the rule for classics you try to establish concerns mostly academia. There are myriads of reasons why old Doris Day movies or SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT still last - and they are as elusive to the makers as to people who like to revisit them again and again.

Beautifully put and point well made, I have to say.

Smokey And The Bandit is forgotten. Sorry. Not every (successful) movie is a classic. Sorry.

Well, I remember the monster success that was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but that doesn't mean the film has any relevance today.

Hmm, I don't think you grasp or understand this part of the debate properly. Ninja Turtles was big because it came at the height of a Ninja Turtles fad. Fads go out of fashion. A movie like The Cannon Ball Run, or Any Which Way But Loose was never a fad. Those movies live on in the nostalgic hearts of the 'mainstream' in a way Ninja Turtles never can.

Well, I remember the monster success that was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but that doesn't mean the film has any relevance today. San Francisco was the most successful film of its year but it's quite meaningless today. It's not part of today's moviegoers' vocabulary. Blade Runner and Citizen Kane were flops in their day but more people know about them now than they did back then. Unlike these, The Golden Child is not a movie that is being constantly pick up and debated by newer generations. That's what I mean with 'remembering'. History will forget about them, just like it will forget about you or me. Only a few will keep on living.

'Today's moviegoer's vocabulary' seems to exist exclusively in nerdy sci-fi forums and scholarly grandstanding. You trot out examples to which there are at least as many counter examples. Nobody talks about Welles' MACBETH but people still know love old LASSIE films, so what?

You just hang onto this 'idea' of what are worthy films, but in reality, those precious few films and filmmakers have no bigger bearing on history than abominable Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

Fads go out of fashion, movies go out of fashion. Avatar being a fad, it will definitely go out of fashion.

Maybe you're right, maybe not.

My own thoughts on this tangent weren't especially inclusive of Avatar, anyway.

You just hang onto this 'idea' of what are worthy films, but in reality, those precious few films and filmmakers have no bigger bearing on history than abominable Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

What a strange thought. It's like saying The Beatles have no more influence on the history of pop than any other band.

I hang on to my idea that most movies will fade from the memory of mankind and that only the truly great ones will keep emerging from oblivion.

Alex, you now seriously drag the Beatles into the arena, who were, if anything, the pop standards of their day. No BLADE RUNNER or CITIZEN KANE slowburn factor there.

it's a fact: crass commercial product of course has a bearing on film history, too. Like Fox News has a relevance for US media, regardless of the fact that it's full of shit. So now trying to tell me that TOP GUN, THE ROCK, BAD BOYS and POTC have no meaning in the history of popular culture and thus, film history, seems a bit...futile, i might say.

Alex, you now seriously drag the Beatles into the arena, who were, if anything, the pop standards of their day. No BLADE RUNNER or CITIZEN KANE slowburn factor there.

I never said greatness and success can't coincide. Blade Runner and Citizen Kane are only examples of how greatness, even without initial recognition, will find its way. When I say greatness has nothing to do with success, it doesn't mean successful movies can't be great. However, success at the box-office doesn't guarantee that people will still be talking, discussing, debating about it decades later. Only the film itself can instigate that.

Yeah, but has to be neither art nor especially mindblowing to do so. At least if you're not restricting talking, discussing, debating to academia, but to regular folk, that's all i'm saying.

I don't know why people put so much emphasis on other people's experience of movies. We certainly don't do that for other art forms. It's yours and yours only.

I don't know why people put so much emphasis on other people's experience of movies. We certainly don't do that for other art forms. It's yours and yours only.

General perception exists about history, sports, painters, politics, music, films, literature, people, fashion, everything. Obviously, it gives you a good idea of what is out there. It's a good indicator for when you are exploring something. Who or what is regarded significant in a certain field? Why? And do you agree with it? Why not? It's almost impossible to have a deep interest in something without becoming aware of the general perception. It's how we know something is perceived as a classic.

Here's ,a summary of "future film thread"

A bunch of Avatar and Avengers sequels for the next 3 summers

Oh and don't forget the gazillion Hulk films that are gonna come up soon....

How about we lock this thread before all that happens?

:lock2:

There are course, lots of films to look forward to. :nod:

Certainly. I'm sure we're ALL looking so very forward to this one...

K.K. Half of the interesting films of a year don't appear until we've well entered it and they have appeared in festivals and such.

In sci-fi, I'm looking forward to several flicks the next few years. Certainly not Blade Runner 2, even if it's one of my favourite films since I first saw it.

I don't know about Total Recall. I'm been totally out of touch with the first one, the remake of PKD's story.

Here's ,a summary of "future film thread"

A bunch of Avatar and Avengers sequels for the next 3 summers

Oh and don't forget the gazillion Hulk films that are gonna come up soon....

How about we lock this thread before all that happens?

:lock2:

Yes I was counting all the Captain America, Iron Man and Thor sequels in that

K.K. Half of the interesting films of a year don't appear until we've well entered it and they have appeared in festivals and such.

Do you think I don't know that? I was kidding around Chaac :P And that post was my bad attempt at a segueway into introducing the new trailer.

Of course there are a ton of films to look forward to. I know I'm pretty pessimistic around the summer, but hey, I've still got a lot of movies I'm looking forward to this year :)

I don't know about Total Recall. I'm been totally out of touch with the first one, the remake of PKD's story.

I never saw the first one to be honest, but this certainly looks like trash to me.

I have a list for this year, having only seen The Avengers.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey –Peter Jackson

Django Unchained –Quentin Tarantino

Lincoln –Steven Spielberg

Life of Pi – Ang Lee

Cabin in the Woods

Much Ado About Nothing- Joss Whedon

Stoker – Park Chan-wook

The Dark Knight Rises – Christopher Nolan

Byzantium – Neil Jordan

Prometheus – Ridley Scott

Skyfall – Sam Mendes

Moonrise Kingdom – Wes Anderson

God Bless America

Looper

A Fantastic Fear of Everything

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

Beasts of the Southern Wild – Benh Zeitlin

The Master – Paul Thomas Anderson

Brave – Mark Andrews y Brenda Chapman

John Carter – Andrew Stanton

Cosmopolis – David Cronemberg

Get the Gringo – Adrian Grunberg

Killing Them Softly – Andrew Dominic

Flight – Robert Zemeckis

Amour – Michael Haneke

Jagten – Thomas Vinderberg

Like Someone in Love – Abbas Kiarostomi

In the Fog – Sergei Lonitsa

Mud – Jeff Nichols

Holy Motors – Leos Carax

LawlessJohn Hillcoat

De rouille et d'os

To the Wonder – Terrence Malick

The Grey

Dark Shadows – Tim Burton

The Amazing Spider-Man Marc Webb

Frankenweenie – Tim Burton

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Ted

The Dictator

To Rome With Love

And some others.

To be honest I'd rather be looking forward to another Star Wars film than the next superhero sequel/reboot

And I can't wait for Call of Duty, The Movie and a sequel every 2 years for the next 15 years

Star Wars is dead as a door nail.

THIS

Oh, and I was unpleasantly surprised to see a pic of Charlize Theron with a shaved head over at Yahoo to promote an upcoming Mad Max movie, which I didn't know was in the works.

I recently saw the first two Mad Max movies, for the first time. The first looked very low budget and had a rather morbid tone which put me off, but it was decent. The second was FWOOOAAAAR! Higher budget, cleaner picture, better cinematography, much better to look at, and the tone is far lighter than the first, to the betterment of the movie.

Also, I now know what inspired Borderlands' art direction.

Borderlands, Wasteland, the original Fallout and Fallout 2, yes. Most dystopic post-nuclear holocaust worlds nowadays derive some influence from the Mad Max movies. I even read a discussion of Star Trek V that remarked how its pre-credits introduction invoked that feel. Though I'm sure there were no purple horses in the Mad Max movies, which are on my list of "movies I know I need to see but just haven't yet."

Could happen. We'll see.

It's a safer bet though, given the directing/writing talent, so it'd be premature to stock up on pitchforks and timber at this stage.

I feel bad for those that cannot de-link lesser parts of a franchise or unnecessary additions and just enjoy what has always been good. That's not an insult, I really feel bad.