What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

My wife and I are currently going through season 1 of the old show Northern Exposure. I was way too young to watch this 10pm show when it was airing on CBS in the 90s so I'm really happy to finally be catching up with it.  Amazingly, this beloved show is not streaming anywhere (not even for digital purchase on Amazon or iTunes!) so we're renting the DVDs from the local library, old-school.

Anyway, 5 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it.  I love these kinds of low-stakes character-focused comedic drama shows (see also Gilmore Girls or Ballykissangel) and this one has some great casting and a lot of potential. Can't wait to get into season 2.

Nice to see the terrific family epic Bloodline finally won its 3rd season on Netflix. http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/701999-bloodline-season-3#/slide/1

I hear S2 isn't as tightly constructed as the first, but that's okay. Sometimes it happens with these things doesn't it. I'm happy to give Bloodline the benefit of the doubt for one of its seasons (I've given Game of Thrones that for about 3 of its own). 

I've got 5 left of the first season and the big find for me has been Ben Mendelsohn who plays the main character Danny, the middle-aged black sheep who has long carried with him some painful memories of abuse and dejection in his teen years, he's really excellent in the role. Extremely charismatic actor. I finally figured out who he very strangely reminds me of, too: Harrison Ford, of all people. And then whadda you know I learned shortly after that he'd nabbed a major part in Rogue One. Hmm...

Whether or not you like the film depends on how you feel about the ending, I think, but Reynolds and Mendelsohn are both excellent in it for sure, and the film has a different feel and tone than a lot of movies out there

Started watching The Borgias again after many years. Always love to see Irons in action, and the girl who plays Lucrezia... Damn... In many ways it feels like it was paving the ground for GoT, similar production design, lots of wardrobe, similar camera shots, political plotting and corruption, lots of sex... But what I had forgotten was really good was the music. The main title is friggin' great, but the whole episode was (albeit a little overscored) filled with fantastic music. 

Not much else to say, but I'll keep watching, particularly to see how much I remember after many years. I was in such a different place when this was on the air

14 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Nice to see the terrific family epic Bloodline finally won its 3rd season on Netflix. http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/701999-bloodline-season-3#/slide/1

This ups my desire to watch it.  Will probably wait until next year after the 3rd, and likely last, season airs and just binge it.

I watched the 4th season of Orange is the New Black.  Basically on par with the other seasons with an unexpected dramatic punch toward the end.

I believe I'll check out Stranger Things next since it's only 8 episodes.  Moreover, the Steven Spielberg/Stephen King vibe is alluring and completely inescapable.  I can't say no.

10 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Started watching The Borgias again after many years. Always love to see Irons in action, and the girl who plays Lucrezia... Damn... In many ways it feels like it was paving the ground for GoT, similar production design, lots of wardrobe, similar camera shots, political plotting and corruption, lots of sex... But what I had forgotten was really good was the music. The main title is friggin' great, but the whole episode was (albeit a little overscored) filled with fantastic music. 

Not much else to say, but I'll keep watching, particularly to see how much I remember after many years. I was in such a different place when this was on the air

You are watching that for a second time?! 

13 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Trevor Morris' music for The Tudors, The Borgias, and Pillars Of The Earth is all good stuff. 

Stranger Things: Or the story of how E.T. and Poltergeist had a baby, and how that baby grew up to have an affair with Stephen King's IT, who both had a love child named Stranger Things.

I don't mean for that to sound disparaging.  I loved this show.  I loved every ounce of its dripping wet 80s feeling.  I never felt like it was purposefully trying to manipulate me by it, or that it was merely getting by on Nostalgia.  This show knows exactly what it wanted to accomplish and executed it with precision.  To me, from of what I've seen so far, unquestionably the best fiction show Netflix has produced.

I'm three episodes into Stranger Things and it's great.  The cast is distinctive and charismatic (barring the hammy Winonnna Rider) and it looks great. That being said, I could have done with fewer 80's references and I don't like the score (it seems more interested in slavishly recreating the 80's synth music of John Carpenter and Co. than serving the dramatic needs of the show).

Watching Hannibal Season 3.

Anyone already noticed that TV fights are getting better than movie fights? Boardwalk Empire (S4), Hannibal, Daredevil, ...

On 18.7.2016 at 9:03 AM, Lonnegan said:

So it's pretty good then, huh? Cool, I'll watch it next. Netflix is actually justifiably worth having nowadays (I've had it about 4 times). 

It isn't, while the also launched 'The Night Of...' definitely is.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyone already noticed that TV fights are getting better than movie fights? Boardwalk Empire (S4), Hannibal, Daredevil, ...

You liking the Italy setting for season 3?

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Agents Of Shield had better fights then Age Of Ultron

A spectacular new HBO show.  The 2nd episode only further convinced me of this.  Incredible performances by veteran character actors and great work by Riz Ahmed in what is surely his breakout year.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You liking the Italy setting for season 3?

Yes, I do. Italy is always good for a background or two.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Originally, this show was to be with James Gandolfini.

Pay attention Koray!

On 12/1/2015 at 1:35 AM, Alexcremers said:

Two first episodes of Hannibal. It's actually not so bad. And it's only getting better? Good, I might continue with it.

On 12/7/2015 at 3:37 AM, Alexcremers said:

Yesterday's episode of Hannibal was the best one so far. It was about a guy who is already locked up for 2 years in a Silence Of The Lambs-ish prison and who claims to be a very famous serial killer but they start to think he's not who he says he is. Hannibal is slowly coming out of the shadows. Finally!

Alex

On 12/13/2015 at 3:43 AM, Alexcremers said:

Well, Jay and Taikomochi weren't lying. The first two eppies of Hannibal Season 2 are indeed a lot better. In fact, things were improving considerably during the last two eppies of the first season. I especially loved the part of Agent Scully. Gillian Anderson is quite impressive here. Even the Hannibal character is improved. He no longer feels like an odd sidekick to the main character. The whole situation is a lot more interesting now.

hannibal-mosaic_zpsko79g4fa.jpg

Alex

On 12/16/2015 at 7:31 AM, Alexcremers said:

Hannibal S2 Episode 5: Just wanted to say that Hannibal probably has the most experimental soundtrack of all TV shows. The music is different with every episode too. Sometimes it's all percussion, other times the woodwinds take the center stage. Pretty ballsy for a network TV show. They certainly don't take the safe route.

Alex

On 1/1/2016 at 2:09 PM, Alexcremers said:

Hannibal S2: Finished it! Jees, this sh!t is really 'dark', know what I'm saying?

michael-pitt-as-mason-verger-on-hannibal

Gillian Anderson is mesmerizing on that show

Have you gotten to the crazy lesbian sex episode yet?

I'd forgotten what Mason Verger looked like in S2.  I thought S3 was fantastic, but 2 was definitely the show's peak.  Really struck the balance between the procedural crime show of season 1 and the more abstract artistry of season 3.

The actor who played Verger in Season 2 was fired from the show for the same reason he was fired from Boardwark Empire: He's a drug addict.

Indeed.

I think Hannibal had at least one great season left in it, but I'm definitely not unhappy with what Bryan Fuller has moved on to.  American Gods and Star Trek are certainly my most anticipated shows of 2017.

I'd trade both for more seasons of Hannibal, personally.  Of course, I've never read American Gods so know jack shit about it, and have never been a huge Star Trek guy

At least he'll be working with Gillian again on AG

American Gods is one of my favorite novels.  Along with Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell airing this year, it's a good couple of years for TV adaptations of fantasy novels dear to my heart.

EDIT: Oops, Strange aired last year.  My memory is playing tricks on me!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'll add the pilot to the list but Stranger Things has priority in our house next.

Besides, I'm not normally much into urban crime shows at all. I prefer suburbia or the sticks for my thrillers.

It had a strong pilot but then got kinda silly as it went off, and ultimately ripped off a major motion picture in a major way