First clip from The Force Awakens, containing Williams score premieres during American Music Awards

Not Mr. Big

I may be in the minority here but I prefer the prequel action music to the original trilogy. But I'm am glad he's gone back to this style for TFA

I do in many ways too. In general, I revisit the prequel scores more than the OT scores.

Nice, there seems to be an aesthetic to it that makes it stands out (slightly higher pitched?) from the Prequels and even the Originals track (although I can hear some influences from the Imperial Detention shootout especially).

Sounds fairly coherent and accentuates the action well, I felt the energy flowing from that orchestra which was fantastic. God am I clamouring for more than 15 seconds though and unless there's a special highlight of the music it seems like its waiting until Day 1, both a blessing and a curse.

Ahh, finally music I can call Williams with some certainty!

Unless they asked Gordy Haab for some exclusive pastiche for the clip.

I am getting a bit of an Arabian vibe, perhaps that could be the tone for music on the sand planet Jakku? That'd be quite a neat aesthetic, mixing heavy brass and orchestra with Arabian styles.

I also want to mention that after listening to this and straining my ear in the Force Awakens Star Tours video I can say that they definitely seem to both be from the film, coalescing in the same style.

Too short and slight a clip for me to really formulate a view on it, so I'm not about to get carried away talking about 15 seconds of indistinct music which could be from any number of JW scores.

I thought I was the only one hearing a slightly Arabic flavour to the orchestration. Almost like something from Raiders (and hence the Indiana Jones reactions on here).

Either way, it sounds energetic and fun, and it isn't buried underneath every conceivable foley sound Ben Burtt could invent.

How can indepth analysis be made on a bite-sized fragment?

Welcome to JWFAN!

My dear Drax! Welcome to JWFan.com! *cue the main theme from Jurassic Park with heavenly choir*

lYdgd0k.jpg

Sounds like Williams' playful stuff from Catch Me If You Can.

Williams needs to pull it out the bag and then invent a whole new bag to pull it out of again if he's going to trump Giacchino's JA for my favourite score of the year. The 30 seconds alone from 2:30- 3:00 in this piece makes it for me. Going from woodwinds to brass, back to woodwind, then back to brass all with a string ostinato running through it is classic Williams of old; switching between multiple instruments within multiple instrument groups all within one motif.