BloodBoal

It's pretty similar to TWOK anyway. A character dying, but not really. A Doomsday weapon, a villain with a personal grievance, a battle inside a spacial anomaly etc...

Brian Singer is in this simply because he's a Trekkie. Much like Slater's cameo in Trek 6.

I have never seen this film before, so maybe this is a stupid question, but:

If the bad guy is a clone of Picard, why didn't they have Patrick Stewart play him?

Maybe because its too much of a sci-fi cliche? Also it would have been more expensive and time consuming to shoot both actors

The clone concept would have worked better though. And Stewart as a baddie....

Worf should have fought the Viceroy. But that still would not have explained where the enormous deep chasm came from? Its as ridiculous as The Enterprise have over 70 decks in Trek 5

If [shinzon] is a clone of Picard, why didn't they have Patrick Stewart play him?

I don't remember if the film states exactly how many years prior to its stardate (56844.9, in the year 2379) that Shinzon was born. Memory Alpha states that Shinzon had "temporal RNA" (again, is this in the movie?) that would allow the Romulans to accelerate his aging to reach the age of Captain Jean-Luc Picard when they needed him, but once they abandoned the plan, they exiled him to Remus. This left Shinzon a man several decades younger than the Jean-Luc Picard in charge of the Enterprise, which permits the plot to demonstrate that Picard's age and maturity give him clear advantages over a technologically superior but broken genetic duplicate.

Is this the face of the Shinzon you'd prefer? It's really not a fair "what if" question, to compare 2002's Tom Hardy to a shoestring budget from 2009.

patrick-stewart.jpg

And let's be honest, didn't Brent Spiner do enough split-screen stuff by playing Data and B-4? Did we really need the entire movie to be Brent Spiner x2 and Patrick Stewart x2? Someone please start singing "Let's Get Together."

Insurrection insulted the memory of its fanbase when Troi states that she never kissed Riker with a beard. Nemesis does the same thing, and I think it's far more grievous because they need a photo to pull off the insult.

Here we see Jean-Luc Picard at Starfleet Academy, sometime between 2323 and 2327. The film needs to hammer home the idea that Tom Hardy grows up to be Patrick Stewart.

nemesis274.jpg

Yet here is Picard after being stabbed in the heart after his graduation from Starfleet Academy in 2327.

Jean-Luc_Picard_stabbed.jpg

And here's Picard in the morgue after sending Jack Crusher to his death in 2354.

Ge54i.jpg

Granted, in "Tapestry," Picard is living an alternate timeline created by Q, so the hair could be fictitious. But in "Violations," Beverly Crusher is experiencing memory flashes. She's remembering Picard with hair, however thin it is at the time. (I'm not considering the transporter-created Picard in "Rascals" because a 12 year old child is pre-Starfleet Academy age.)

Nemesis insults us with a bald cadet Picard, or we need to pretend he shaved his head for an early cadet photo, grew it back for graduation, and then lost it over the course of his career.

And why didn’t he first try to just ask Picard if he could get some of his blood, instead of abducting him? It is not explained.......No, he’s just a douchebag that wants Picard’s blood to survive.

He's a very bad clone if he needs all of Picard's blood instead of just some. Shinzon's younger than Picard, so he shouldn't have room for all of Picard's blood. And couldn't he just synthesize what he needs from a very small sample? Here's the kicker. If the Romulans could have gotten a hair sample, unfilmed, at some point in the past without Picard knowing about it, couldn't Shinzon somehow get a sample of blood from Picard without him knowing it, and then clone the cells to make a lifetime supply?

Or have the Viceroy say, "We'll let you and your crew see Shinzon, but he's very picky about blood-born pathogens, so we'll need to get a sample from each of your officers before they enter the shadow room." Or, "We're going to share this massive feast and have Romulan ale to celebrate our new friendship with the mighty Federation, but first, let's check your insulin levels, here, prick your finger." Done.

If transporters can beam a person from across the vast void of space, why can't they beam a specific volume of blood out of a person from in the same room, let alone from across space? Just wait until they're asleep and lock onto something big, like the liver or aorta. Transporters don't seem that useful.

Shinzon only makes sense if you think of him as a vampire...who for some reason hates Earth because he's a human based on DNA pattern, created by Romulans, and raised by Remans, and now after he's injected all of Picard's blood (even what he doesn't have room for), he wants to kill all the humans who never did anything personally against him.

Looking back, Data was badly handled in the TNG flicks. His evolution was all over the place. In Generations, we were introduced to the emotion chip and how it affected him. In this film, we saw he had trouble dealing with emotions, but he decided to keep the emotion chip in his head (so that means the only way for him not to feel anything was to remove the chip). Then, in First Contact, he was still experiencing emotions, and it was revealed he could deactivate the emotion chip whenever he felt like it (WTF?), which was a in contradiction with what was established in Generations. Then the Borg Queen reactivated the chip somehow (WTF?), which caused him to experience new emotions. Then in Insurrection, there was no mention whatsoever about that chip, even though Data talked with the Ba’Ku kid how he’d like to know what it feels like to be human. OK…Which leads us to Nemesis, where again no mention is made of the emotion chip and we don’t see him showing any kind of emotion. It’s a bit of a mess, really.

Well, Geordi convinced Data to keep the chip inside his head because he knew that was what his friend had been searching for all his life: human emotions. And now he was going to need to live with his gift because, ultimately, Data's indiscretion to insert the chip only cost the Federation the Enterprise-D and the life of Jim Kirk, who'd already been declared dead. That's pretty expensive but they roll with it. By the time of First Contact, yes, it's shoddy scriptwriting that doesn't tell us Data's determined how to deactivate the chip. He couldn't in Generations, but in the two years aboard the Enterprise-E, he figures it out. They don't say it but that's how I rationalize it. So if he can turn it off, the Borg Queen can turn it back on. They're machines, these are switches, it's not rocket science. But yes, his conversation with the Ba'Ku kid is weak because Data's emotion chip is forgotten in both Insurrection and Nemesis, which is a waste.

They’re not that much surprised, because they have already encountered other androids that look like Data in the show. So far so good. But they still have no fucking clue who that android is, if he’s good or bad, or anything like that. And what do they decided to do? Reassemble it and let it roam freely on the ship. WTF? How stupid can you be? But that’s not the best part: they let Data transfer all his data (pun unintended) into B-4. Hahahaha! How more moronic can you get?

This is bad because the Nemesis script tells the characters to totally forget about Lore, the Soong-type android that's supposed to have directly predated Data. When we last saw Lore, he was being disassembled never to be seen again, but can we be 100% sure that Lore wasn't freed and reassembled by someone with a positronic death wish? How do we know this juvenile acting android isn't Lore? How do we know that Lore didn't have full awareness of Dr. Soong's android building days before Data, and find B-4 in the years before "Descent," upload his engrams into him, and program in a trigger? Something simple like, I don't know, MEET DATA, SWITCH ON, GO BAD. The characters are really very dumb in this moment.

The sheer amount of coincidences required for Shinzon to find B-4 and leave him as part of the well-laid trap for Picard and friends is mind-bottling.

And who the fuck where those people who attacked Picard and co on Kolarus? Were they natives of the planet? People working for Shinzon? It’s not explained

1, yes. Pre-warp Kolarans who'd never encountered Starfleet, but might be on edge from whatever Reman shuttle was there several nights prior dropping undiscovered android body parts. 2, no, because even though Shinzon wanted Picard to find B-4, it wouldn't do him any good to have the Kolarans shoot bullet holes through all that fresh tasty Picard blood.

And then there are Riker and Troi… These two were, like Data, badly handled throughout the films. In Generations and First Contact, there was nothing that could make you think there were together. So if you’re unfamiliar with the show, it was a bit weird to see them suddenly making out in Insurrection. But OK, you could roll with the fact they were together, even though this was never addressed in the two previous films. Still, in Insurrection, you could assume they were really into each other mainly because of the effects of the Briar Patch. But then, suddenly, in Nemesis, they’re married! WTF? This came out of nowhere. But OK, let’s roll with that, because it serves the story, right? Right? Well, turns out that no, it doesn’t. You can see they were trying to go somewhere with that, with the rape scene, but it ended up having no consequences later in the film. That infamous rape scene… What was the point of that? It serves no purpose whatsoever…

This is full of incorrect statements. The TNG movies are guilty of dropping the Worf-Troi romance that blossomed in Season 7, which is bad, but they did start to nudge Riker and Troi back together. I don't think we were supposed to suspect Troi's drunken state in First Contact to lead to anything beyond playful flirting. The romance seen in Insurrection is easily explained by the effects of the Briar Patch. Imzadi4Life. But it's on the TV show Star Trek: Voyager where the Trek fans see Troi and Reginald Barclay discussing Troi's rediscovered feelings for Riker and the romance they're beginning to pursue.

So if Nemesis stabs Trek fans with Picard's hair, it pours salt in the wound by making them watch Voyager to unlock the Troi-Riker mystery...and then brings Miss "I spent seven years spreading Starfleet ideals putting Trek fans to sleep in the Delta Quadrant and came home with all this free Borg stuff, I'm gonna be an Admiral, fuck you, Locutus, you're still Captain" Janeway for the cherry on top.

The rape scene is critical to the story because Shinzon's cloak is perfect. Geordi tells us that. Anyone who remembers Star Trek VI will ask if the Scimitar has a tailpipe, and it does, but it goes right through the Viceroy's junk. The Viceroy mind-linked Troi to rape her, and now she does the same in reverse to get a torpedo lock on his position and see through the cloak. Ooh, and Worf gets the closest to Troi with his hand that he's been since the small screen.

The duel between Riker and the Viceroy is rather underwhelming too (it should have been Worf fighting the Viceroy!).

No, it makes perfect sense for Riker. He's defending his wife's honor (though nobody would accuse her of still being a virgin).

Picard crashing the Enterprise on the Scimitar was pretty cool, though.

You neglected to mention the perfect connection to Generations. Who had the helm when the Enterprise-D crashed on Veridian III? Who executed the command that Picard gave to drive the Enterprise-E into the Scimitar? Deanna Troi. Goddamn woman drivers.

though the "set" for Riker and Troi’s wedding look really cheap and small. What’s the deal with the fake background? Is the wedding supposed to take place outdoors (and thus the fake background unintentionally looks fake), or is it supposed to take place in some room (and thus the fake background is supposed to look fake)?

Riker's from Alaska, where the wedding takes place. It's cold in Alaska, the mountains are covered with snow, so the wedding looks like they're in a big reception hall with windows but everyone's comfortably dressed. Maybe the windows have a purple tint. Maybe they're outside and an energy shield keeps it temperate inside, and we just don't see a distracting flicker on the purple shield.

star-trek-nemesis-riker-troi-wedding-jea

The updated Bird Of Prey was pretty neat, too.

Klingons have Birds of Prey. Romulans have Warbirds. You can thank TOS for starting us down that confusing path. Yes, the new Valdore class are pretty neat.

But the thing is: B-4 "undoes" Data's death. So, had there been another TNG movie, what would have been the plan then? Have B-4 be played by another actor?

Or give him a small cameo to show that B-4's body was too primitive to handle all of Data's massive memories, so he's now hooked up to a mainframe and they get another actor to interact with the crew. I think they "undid" Data's death to prevent fans from being as bitter about Data dying as they were with Spock, but they forgot to protect against all the other bitterness.

I'm too lazy to Star Trek-ipedia this shit, but does the EU explanation of B4 make him any less ridiculous? I mean, like, where he came from, how the Picard clone conveniently had a Data prototype, why they left him in pieces on the planet with a bunch of dangerous aliens who also had dune buggies. I honestly have no idea what happens in that scene. That's one of the things I remember debating on opening night. The aliens on the dune buggy planet who also conveniently happened to have dune buggies kinda looked like the Remans, but maybe they weren't. Still, it seemed pretty stupid that Schinzon just left B4 in pieces on this planet. What if the Enterprise didn't get there first? What if they realized there was a race of machine gun-shooting dune buggy-driving aliens on the planet and taking the shuttle down might violate the Prime Directive or something, so they didn't get B4? What if the aliens found parts of B4 and took them? Since when can they detect positronic signals? What the fuck? I have been drinking, but this doesn't really make sense, right? Why not choose an uninhabited moon or something to put the parts, not a planet where aliens with dune buggies and machine guns would conveniently appear for a stupid chase scene?

The Abramsverse "Countdown" comics fully undid the B4 fiasco by saying Data's personality took over B4's neural net. Thus Data and Old Spock went off on merry adventures together.

The comics are considered canon, IIRC.

The mind-rape is important for the plot, but dramatically little or nothing is done with it. Apparently there was a second one that was cut. That might have made it more prominent. Like Wojo said. It echo's TUC. Not only in the "tailpipe" department, but also that it resembles in some ways Spock's treatment of Valaris. (which despite being a rief scene had more of an impact)

Yes, you're right. Uhura and Scotty help sell the idea that Spock is really putting Valeris through some major agony, that she's fighting him with every ounce and losing. But no, I guess Riker didn't get the chance to learn of the mind rape, just Picard, so its effect is lessened, and for Picard to not do anything about it specifically makes him look like an insensitive bastard.

The problem is it actually never feels like they are outside. It's gotta be the holodeck anyway. Since The Enterprise is nowhere near Earth.

Apparently there was a second one that was cut.

Yep.

nemesis03.jpg

The mindrape subplot should have either been expanded, or dropped in favor of another solution to find the ship despite it's perfect cloak

Here we see Jean-Luc Picard at Starfleet Academy, sometime between 2323 and 2327. The film needs to hammer home the idea that Tom Hardy grows up to be Patrick Stewart.

nemesis274.jpg

Yet here is Picard after being stabbed in the heart after his graduation from Starfleet Academy in 2327.

And here's Picard in the morgue after sending Jack Crusher to his death in 2354.

Ge54i.jpg

Granted, in "Tapestry," Picard is living an alternate timeline created by Q, so the hair could be fictitious. But in "Violations," Beverly Crusher is experiencing memory flashes. She's remembering Picard with hair, however thin it is at the time. (I'm not considering the transporter-created Picard in "Rascals" because a 12 year old child is pre-Starfleet Academy age.)

Nemesis insults us with a bald cadet Picard, or we need to pretend he shaved his head for an early cadet photo, grew it back for graduation, and then lost it over the course of his career.

None of this actually bothered me as much as them showing a picture of Picard's Brother and nephew in Generations and using completely different actors. They could have used a fucking screenshot from Family! A press pic...anything!

There may have been legal issues preventing them from reusing the Picard family from Family, because anybody can be portrayed as cinematic in the right light. That is also a grievous insult.

The wedding was supposed to be on Earth. Memory Alpha gives that as the location, though IMDB states all filming locations were in California (which has those kinds of mountains). Maybe we're meant to assume that since the next stop is Betazed, home of the bride's mother, the first ceremony was on Earth, home of her father and husband.

It bothers you, it doesn't bother me.

In a movie where all the best lines in the trailer were cut from the finished product, you want footage of mountains? Bless your heart.

Trouble is, I don't think there are any mountains in Alaska that are iconic they scream ALASKA. Not even Denali. You show those snowy mountains so soon into the film, people are thinking Lord of the Rings.

Did Nemesis use location subtitles at the bottom to tell the audience which planet they were on? I know JJ's first movie did, I don't remember Into Darkness or any other film. That would have been the easy solution.

I wanted a sweeping aerial shot of mountains, with the camera going downwards, directly into the tent where the wedding is taking place and ending right on Picard's face saying his best man speech. That would have been epic!

GANDALF! Sorry, I was thinking of a different movie..

Yes, you're right. Uhura and Scotty help sell the idea that Spock is really putting Valeris through some major agony, that she's fighting him with every ounce and losing.

I didn't think she was fighting it. I thought using two hands to mind meld combined with the fact that the meldee doesn't know is really painful.

Opening from John Logan's script:

INT.  MEDICAL MONTAGE - DAYLife.  Glorious in its many forms.  The biological pulsefinding its way heroically through the cold manipulation ofscience.CREDITS as we see a beautiful montage of futuristic medicaltechnology.  Through a microscope we see cells multiplyingand gene strands exponentially increasing with the vibrancyof exploding flowers.  We see laser splicing and biologicalmanipulation on the molecular level.CREDITS continue as we fade to...INT.  ROMULAN SENATE CHAMBER - NIGHTPolitics... In a cavernous, shadowy chamber.  Dark figureslean together and talk seriously.  Their hushed, urgent tonesdenote the gravity of their discussion.We can't make out the words but there is no doubt what theyare talking about.The three year old HUMAN BOY who stands before them.  The boyis alone and frightened, lost in the sweeping grandeur ofthe massive chamber.CREDITS continue as we fade to...EXT.  REMAN HOMEWORLD - NIGHTLabor...On a stark, desert planet with monolithic mountains and harshcrags shooting upward.  The only light in this darknetherworld comes from the flames that accompany the hellishmining operations everywhere around us.The human boy gazes over this desolate vista and then helooks up for a moment... at the stars.Then a tall figure leads him firmly into one of the mines.The boy seems to disappear into this flaming crucible.CREDITS end as we go to...EXT.  ROMULUS - SUNSETThe sun is setting on the capital city of the great RomulanStar Empire, The imperial monoliths and martial towers ofthis bustling city glow red as the sun dips below thehorizon.We slowly move down toward the most imposing building of thecity.  The Romulan Senate chamber.

I thought there was a bunch of other footage, and special effects Shatner wants to redo, that haven't been made available as deleted scenes?

So now that you've watched 1-10 for the first time, reviewed them all, and compared them and their scores to each other.......

Are you going to do the same for the JJ Abrams reboots?

If [shinzon] is a clone of Picard, why didn't they have Patrick Stewart play him?

I don't remember if the film states exactly how many years prior to its stardate (56844.9, in the year 2379) that Shinzon was born. Memory Alpha states that Shinzon had "temporal RNA" (again, is this in the movie?) that would allow the Romulans to accelerate his aging to reach the age of Captain Jean-Luc Picard when they needed him, but once they abandoned the plan, they exiled him to Remus. This left Shinzon a man several decades younger than the Jean-Luc Picard in charge of the Enterprise, which permits the plot to demonstrate that Picard's age and maturity give him clear advantages over a technologically superior but broken genetic duplicate.

Is this the face of the Shinzon you'd prefer? It's really not a fair "what if" question, to compare 2002's Tom Hardy to a shoestring budget from 2009.

patrick-stewart.jpg

And let's be honest, didn't Brent Spiner do enough split-screen stuff by playing Data and B-4? Did we really need the entire movie to be Brent Spiner x2 and Patrick Stewart x2? Someone please start singing "Let's Get Together."

Insurrection insulted the memory of its fanbase when Troi states that she never kissed Riker with a beard. Nemesis does the same thing, and I think it's far more grievous because they need a photo to pull off the insult.

nemesis274.jpg

Ge54i.jpg

And why didn’t he first try to just ask Picard if he could get some of his blood, instead of abducting him? It is not explained.......No, he’s just a douchebag that wants Picard’s blood to survive.

He's a very bad clone if he needs all of Picard's blood instead of just some. Shinzon's younger than Picard, so he shouldn't have room for all of Picard's blood. And couldn't he just synthesize what he needs from a very small sample? Here's the kicker. If the Romulans could have gotten a hair sample, unfilmed, at some point in the past without Picard knowing about it, couldn't Shinzon somehow get a sample of blood from Picard without him knowing it, and then clone the cells to make a lifetime supply?

Or have the Viceroy say, "We'll let you and your crew see Shinzon, but he's very picky about blood-born pathogens, so we'll need to get a sample from each of your officers before they enter the shadow room." Or, "We're going to share this massive feast and have Romulan ale to celebrate our new friendship with the mighty Federation, but first, let's check your insulin levels, here, prick your finger." Done.

If transporters can beam a person from across the vast void of space, why can't they beam a specific volume of blood out of a person from in the same room, let alone from across space? Just wait until they're asleep and lock onto something big, like the liver or aorta. Transporters don't seem that useful.

Shinzon only makes sense if you think of him as a vampire...who for some reason hates Earth because he's a human based on DNA pattern, created by Romulans, and raised by Remans, and now after he's injected all of Picard's blood (even what he doesn't have room for), he wants to kill all the humans who never did anything personally against him.

Looking back, Data was badly handled in the TNG flicks. His evolution was all over the place. In Generations, we were introduced to the emotion chip and how it affected him. In this film, we saw he had trouble dealing with emotions, but he decided to keep the emotion chip in his head (so that means the only way for him not to feel anything was to remove the chip). Then, in First Contact, he was still experiencing emotions, and it was revealed he could deactivate the emotion chip whenever he felt like it (WTF?), which was a in contradiction with what was established in Generations. Then the Borg Queen reactivated the chip somehow (WTF?), which caused him to experience new emotions. Then in Insurrection, there was no mention whatsoever about that chip, even though Data talked with the Ba’Ku kid how he’d like to know what it feels like to be human. OK…Which leads us to Nemesis, where again no mention is made of the emotion chip and we don’t see him showing any kind of emotion. It’s a bit of a mess, really.

Well, Geordi convinced Data to keep the chip inside his head because he knew that was what his friend had been searching for all his life: human emotions. And now he was going to need to live with his gift because, ultimately, Data's indiscretion to insert the chip only cost the Federation the Enterprise-D and the life of Jim Kirk, who'd already been declared dead. That's pretty expensive but they roll with it. By the time of First Contact, yes, it's shoddy scriptwriting that doesn't tell us Data's determined how to deactivate the chip. He couldn't in Generations, but in the two years aboard the Enterprise-E, he figures it out. They don't say it but that's how I rationalize it. So if he can turn it off, the Borg Queen can turn it back on. They're machines, these are switches, it's not rocket science. But yes, his conversation with the Ba'Ku kid is weak because Data's emotion chip is forgotten in both Insurrection and Nemesis, which is a waste.

They’re not that much surprised, because they have already encountered other androids that look like Data in the show. So far so good. But they still have no fucking clue who that android is, if he’s good or bad, or anything like that. And what do they decided to do? Reassemble it and let it roam freely on the ship. WTF? How stupid can you be? But that’s not the best part: they let Data transfer all his data (pun unintended) into B-4. Hahahaha! How more moronic can you get?

This is bad because the Nemesis script tells the characters to totally forget about Lore, the Soong-type android that's supposed to have directly predated Data. When we last saw Lore, he was being disassembled never to be seen again, but can we be 100% sure that Lore wasn't freed and reassembled by someone with a positronic death wish? How do we know this juvenile acting android isn't Lore? How do we know that Lore didn't have full awareness of Dr. Soong's android building days before Data, and find B-4 in the years before "Descent," upload his engrams into him, and program in a trigger? Something simple like, I don't know, MEET DATA, SWITCH ON, GO BAD. The characters are really very dumb in this moment.

The sheer amount of coincidences required for Shinzon to find B-4 and leave him as part of the well-laid trap for Picard and friends is mind-bottling.

And who the fuck where those people who attacked Picard and co on Kolarus? Were they natives of the planet? People working for Shinzon? It’s not explained

1, yes. Pre-warp Kolarans who'd never encountered Starfleet, but might be on edge from whatever Reman shuttle was there several nights prior dropping undiscovered android body parts. 2, no, because even though Shinzon wanted Picard to find B-4, it wouldn't do him any good to have the Kolarans shoot bullet holes through all that fresh tasty Picard blood.

And then there are Riker and Troi… These two were, like Data, badly handled throughout the films. In Generations and First Contact, there was nothing that could make you think there were together. So if you’re unfamiliar with the show, it was a bit weird to see them suddenly making out in Insurrection. But OK, you could roll with the fact they were together, even though this was never addressed in the two previous films. Still, in Insurrection, you could assume they were really into each other mainly because of the effects of the Briar Patch. But then, suddenly, in Nemesis, they’re married! WTF? This came out of nowhere. But OK, let’s roll with that, because it serves the story, right? Right? Well, turns out that no, it doesn’t. You can see they were trying to go somewhere with that, with the rape scene, but it ended up having no consequences later in the film. That infamous rape scene… What was the point of that? It serves no purpose whatsoever…

This is full of incorrect statements. The TNG movies are guilty of dropping the Worf-Troi romance that blossomed in Season 7, which is bad, but they did start to nudge Riker and Troi back together. I don't think we were supposed to suspect Troi's drunken state in First Contact to lead to anything beyond playful flirting. The romance seen in Insurrection is easily explained by the effects of the Briar Patch. Imzadi4Life. But it's on the TV show Star Trek: Voyager where the Trek fans see Troi and Reginald Barclay discussing Troi's rediscovered feelings for Riker and the romance they're beginning to pursue.

So if Nemesis stabs Trek fans with Picard's hair, it pours salt in the wound by making them watch Voyager to unlock the Troi-Riker mystery...and then brings Miss "I spent seven years spreading Starfleet ideals putting Trek fans to sleep in the Delta Quadrant and came home with all this free Borg stuff, I'm gonna be an Admiral, fuck you, Locutus, you're still Captain" Janeway for the cherry on top.

The rape scene is critical to the story because Shinzon's cloak is perfect. Geordi tells us that. Anyone who remembers Star Trek VI will ask if the Scimitar has a tailpipe, and it does, but it goes right through the Viceroy's junk. The Viceroy mind-linked Troi to rape her, and now she does the same in reverse to get a torpedo lock on his position and see through the cloak. Ooh, and Worf gets the closest to Troi with his hand that he's been since the small screen.

The duel between Riker and the Viceroy is rather underwhelming too (it should have been Worf fighting the Viceroy!).

No, it makes perfect sense for Riker. He's defending his wife's honor (though nobody would accuse her of still being a virgin).

Picard crashing the Enterprise on the Scimitar was pretty cool, though.

You neglected to mention the perfect connection to Generations. Who had the helm when the Enterprise-D crashed on Veridian III? Who executed the command that Picard gave to drive the Enterprise-E into the Scimitar? Deanna Troi. Goddamn woman drivers.

though the "set" for Riker and Troi’s wedding look really cheap and small. What’s the deal with the fake background? Is the wedding supposed to take place outdoors (and thus the fake background unintentionally looks fake), or is it supposed to take place in some room (and thus the fake background is supposed to look fake)?

Riker's from Alaska, where the wedding takes place. It's cold in Alaska, the mountains are covered with snow, so the wedding looks like they're in a big reception hall with windows but everyone's comfortably dressed. Maybe the windows have a purple tint. Maybe they're outside and an energy shield keeps it temperate inside, and we just don't see a distracting flicker on the purple shield.

The updated Bird Of Prey was pretty neat, too.

Klingons have Birds of Prey. Romulans have Warbirds. You can thank TOS for starting us down that confusing path. Yes, the new Valdore class are pretty neat.

But the thing is: B-4 "undoes" Data's death. So, had there been another TNG movie, what would have been the plan then? Have B-4 be played by another actor?

Or give him a small cameo to show that B-4's body was too primitive to handle all of Data's massive memories, so he's now hooked up to a mainframe and they get another actor to interact with the crew. I think they "undid" Data's death to prevent fans from being as bitter about Data dying as they were with Spock, but they forgot to protect against all the other bitterness.

It is interesting how much Nemesis and Insurrection are still hated by some because of the way they disregard the TV show. But I just watched TWOK and it's as guilty of that as those two films.

Khan knowing Pavel is an error. Plain and simple. Yes I know Trekkies explain it by stating Checkopv might have been stationed on The Enterprise at the time. But thats a mere excuse, not supported by anything in TOS.

The Ceti Alpha V or VI confusion is just clumsey. It's inconcievable that a Starfleet science vessel would confuse the two. I mean that solar systewm has one planet less then 15 years ago. It probably has a huge debris field. Come on!

David and Carol Marcus are probably the worst. So all the way throughout TOS Kirk was actually a father? What the fuck? That is a total retcon of the highest order and no one batts an eye at it. (while people still bitch about Spock having a brother...)

You bring up a good point about TWOK. Khan never forgets a face, but Chekov wasn't on the show for Space Seed. So he was elsewhere on the ship. Maybe. But maybe Khan read all active Starfleet dossiers, including those of non Enterprise personnel. So he should know Terrell's face because he's outranks Chekov because he's older. D'oh!

I thought about the Data funeral in the car last night and it's dumb. Say you have a computer that you really like, so you make a perfect backup of all the information on it. Then you see a bomb that's about to go off. You throw the computer at the bomb to disarm it, saving your family, but the computer is toast. You still have the perfect backup but you cry and drink champagne anyways.

Folks, Star Trek simply likes champagne.