So, Rhino just re-issued the Towering Inferno LP....

Jay

... but only for digital download.

Here's where I've found it so far:

Doesn't seem to be on HDTracks.

Random!

Unfortunately for us, usually when a label re-issues an old LP like this, that means another label cannot also release an expanded score until this label's license runs out.

Of course, since WEA owns Rhino, maybe that means a complete release can still happen.

Click any of the links in the main post to see the track list. It's the same 40 year old track list that's existed since the original LP.

Hopefully, one of the specialty labels can make another complete release happen (and stick the LP program on disc 2)

I don't know but digital release

?

It should be noted that this is the first non-vinyl release of Williams' original album.

It was never on cassette?

It should be noted that this is the first (official) non-vinyl release of Williams' original album.

It was never on cassette?

It was probably released on cassette too. First official digital release then.

Yea, it's exciting stuff! I hope a physical version is forthcoming too, though. Still bummed we never got one for the 20th Anniversary Jurassic Park release.

Yea, it's exciting stuff! I hope a physical version is forthcoming too, though. Still bummed we never got one for the 20th Anniversary Jurassic Park release.

Well, we still got a digital release for the 20th anniversary (even if it only has four bonus tracks).

Just two more minutes of isolated audio left... :banghead:

What were you trying to say? You don't buy digital releases?

This is the whole sentence, didn't you see it?

"I don't know but digital release (either for films or music) is no release to me.."

yes, i don't buy digital releases.

We all know that some of the score had not survived well in the intervening years. Some cues were 'damaged' sonically and some minor incidental cues cut due to being too bad to repair, even for the FSM limited run OST.

How hard would it be to acquire the original LP album masters (for reference), track down the original handwritten scores, get them engraved, and hire a professional orchestra to play them for the missing cues in TTI?

The final product would be splendid, to say the least.

Unfortunately for us, usually when a label re-issues an old LP like this, that means another label cannot also release an expanded score until this label's license runs out.

Of course, since WEA owns Rhino, maybe that means a complete release can still happen.

Well, Rhino did re-release Poltergeist and we got an expanded set just a few months later. Same with Ben-Hur. Although, that took a while longer.

Karol

Sad to never have heard Williams' Harp and Oboe concerti, since they were released as digital only.

Sad to never have heard Williams' Harp and Oboe concerti, since they were released as digital only.

Well, it's not sad since the harp concerto is available complete on youtube and the oboe concerto here:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=2168

and on youtube (last movement)

though my statement, refered to music that is available in physical format too.

I have never heard of "The Promenade Room" as an elusive cue. I own the 2 disc set from years back and I thought it contained every track. Now I am slightly disappointed. People who buy the abridged version are missing out some terrific cues. "Departmental Pride and the Cat," and a lot of the jazzy music toward the beginning of the movie before the fire gets going. Where exactly in the film is "The Promenade Room" heard?

It's the part where lounge music plays during the party prior to the announcement of the fire.

Yeah, it's where O’Halloran orders Duncan to evacuate the party and the music becomes louder as Lisolette and Harlee dance and Duncan lectures Roger.

It's called "The Promenade Room" on the cue sheet, and the cue has an interrputed ending as Duncan asks the house band to stop playing. Maybe that's why FSM didn't t add it to the expanded album.

I have never heard of "The Promenade Room" as an elusive cue. I own the 2 disc set from years back and I thought it contained every track.

Nope, there is still some music missing.

It's the part where lounge music plays during the party prior to the announcement of the fire.

Yeah, it's where O’Halloran orders Duncan to evacuate the party and the music becomes louder as Lisolette and Harlee dance and Duncan lectures Roger.

It's called "The Promenade Room" on the cue sheet, and the cue has an interrputed ending as Duncan asks the house band to stop playing. Maybe that's why FSM didn't t add it to the expanded album.

I suspect that that cue is not an original JW compsition. It could have been recorded when JW recorded "The More I See You".

BTW, the other piece of "dance" music is actually "Maggie Shoots Pool", from "Cinderella Liberty".

I don't think that applies to this situation at all, what with studios selling physical and digital distribution rights to their soundtracks separately. That's the excuse the boutique labels keep giving for not selling digital downloads -- they only want to spend money on the rights for one medium. CDs just happen to be the most popular medium within our niche of collectors.

Example: LLL has released three physical albums for Batman: The Animated Series and Warner Bros. has gone off and released the same tracks digitally under the name of a different company.

CD or no deal!

This stance is ridiculous. I could understand "lossless or no deal," but come on! They're offering you the music in perfect sound quality over on qobuz!