Perseverance Records re-issuing The Witches Of Eastwick OST (La-La Land Records can make expanded version once it sells out)

Jay

In general I refuse to support this label, especially after the whole Slipstream fiasco. Well, not only that but a dodgy reputation in general. However, I've never had this score on CD and did an order with Peter (Movie Music) to get it. Other than that, I have never owned anything from this label.

At the same time it does really suck ass that Warner Brothers simply forgot they offered La-La Land the rights issues first after the Collector's Choice went out of print. It MIGHT sell out but won't be any time soon.

I agree. This and SpaceCamp have the same dry sound. Not sure anything could be done about it. Must be the way they were recorded.

I'm reasonably happy with the SpaceCamp sound actually. A fresh remaster would be welcome, but it's still a pleasant listen.

Anyway, I ordered Witches. Let's hope the difference is worth it.

The previouds CD releases are so dry, they sound as if all life had been sucked out of them. I'm actually surprised it's a Steiner recording, I've always thought it was Murphy, and counted it among his worst albums.

Hmm, i don't overly like the pinched sound of the Philips suite, but the album sounds ok, if a bit on the digitally thin side. EMPIRE OF THE SUN was the same year and sounds a bit warmer, but also has this partially digital shrillness.

In general I refuse to support this label, especially after the whole Slipstream fiasco. Well, not only that but a dodgy reputation in general. However, I've never had this score on CD and did an order with Peter (Movie Music) to get it. Other than that, I have never owned anything from this label.

At the same time it does really suck ass that Warner Brothers simply forgot they offered La-La Land the rights issues first after the Collector's Choice went out of print. It MIGHT sell out but won't be any time soon.

You'd think LLL would have some sort of paperwork for the rights agreement. Maybe it was just a gentleman's agreement.

I just find it a shame for those who wanted this complete.

I care if it prevents studios from dealing with the labels because they can't trust them or giving them the proper material to give the most complete and comprehensive presentation of the material.

Perhaps. But I have to admit to having a soft spot for Perseverence for releasing Music from the Edge earlier this year. My single favourite thing this year (so far).

Karol

I care if it prevents studios from dealing with the labels because they can't trust them or giving them the proper material to give the most complete and comprehensive presentation of the material.

I'd hope that the reputation of Lukas/MV/Intrada guys would set them apart. Robin has certainly made mistakes, but he hasn't got a huge back catalogue of proven releases to show he knows what he's doing. From what little I know about the Slipstream fiasco, I'd be surprised if it made any noticeable impact on the other labels.

I got my copy today and the artwork is great! Much better than the Collector's Choice release which had red bars on all sides on the front cover. Never liked that.

Does it have a booklet or brief notes?

I got my copy today and the artwork is great! Much better than the Collector's Choice release which had red bars on all sides on the front cover. Never liked that.

Does it have a booklet or brief notes?

It has a 6-page booklet with information about the film and a track-by-track analysis by Randall D. Larson.

• 2 years later...
Witches of Eastwick Soon to be OOP!

Our 50th release has 5 copies left. Once they are gone, they are gone. Sigh!

Great news!

The original album is actually a very well put together listening experience. But I'd love to have the complete release.

Karol

Ditto!

There actually is some material that was dialled out or unused but mostly short snippets.

The OST album is missing about 15 minutes of music as lion's share of the setpieces are on the album.

Well it will just be nice to have a proper specialty label tackle it - go back to the recording masters stored by the studio, present every cue in sequence, plus alternates, all wrapped in a nice package with nice, detailed liner notes. Even if there isn't a lot of music we've never heard before, it will be nice to have it all properly assembled and sounding the best it can.

Well it will just be nice to have a proper specialty label tackle it - go back to the recording masters stored by the studio, present every cue in sequence, plus alternates, all wrapped in a nice package with nice, detailed liner notes. Even if there isn't a lot of music we've never heard before, it will be nice to have it all properly assembled and sounding the best it can.

Yup. Naturally.

My comment was just made to emphasize that the OST was rather well put together back in the day by JW. By all means one of the labels should release a complete version.

I'd say War Horse or SpaceCamp wins that for me.

I've still never seen Witches of Eastwick or listened to the boots so have no knowledge of what the non-OST music is like

Who are you and what have you done with E.T. and Elliot?

Karol

I heard he doesn't listen to JW anymore.

Who are you and what have you done with E.T. and Elliot?

Karol

I heard he doesn't listen to JW anymore.

Both of those albums are too long. I skip tracks, historically. I mean, I haven't listened to either one in a long time. However, I do remember some good parts were left off the OST, in true JW form.

I never got into Witches either, outside of a few stand-out tracks - 'The Ballroom Scene' and the opening titles.

War Horse will return to my consciousness at some point - definitely a fine score.

He has to me :)

Publicly? I don't think so.

You tease!

Is it fair to say that the right people have been keeping a close eye on things?

Not that EOTS and AI being from the same studio would have any bearing... ;)

WITCHES is a wonderful score -- "The Devil's Dance" is probably the closest Williams has been to Bernard Herrmann this side of THE FURY. I love the film too -- not only because it stars my favourite actor Jack Nicholson, but because it's drenched in George Miller's trademark subversive style.

He has to me :)

Publicly? I don't think so.

You tease!

Is it fair to say that the right people have been keeping a close eye on things?

Not that EOTS and AI being from the same studio would have any bearing... ;)

Well MV publicly posted when the Perseverance CD was announced that he would have done an expanded version through LLL if Perseverance hadn't snatched up the LP rights right before he went to do so. So when I saw Perseverance's post that their version was going OOP, I immediately emailed MV in case he hadn't seen it. If MV is successful or not at getting the rights, that's for him and LLL to post publicly or not, not something I would share if I was told in private.