New version of THE TOWERING INFERNO coming!?!

Jay

MV just posted this on the FSM boards:

last chance. anyone want to save me from doing something stupid?

I wouldn't if I were you

Make of that what you will!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=101502&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1

Maybe... I doubt it, though.

I have the Film Score Monthly release, and while it is outstanding, I think it could use a re-release, chances if it is capable of being remastered and unreleased material has been uncovered.

Tentative "yay"?

No, Canc; definite "yay!"

I'm not sure what else they could get on the new edition, but I remember seeing "Overture" on a boot, which was not played when I saw the film at the cinema.

If some of the cues are "damaged", then have "undamaged" versions been found, and what about all the source music ("The More I See You", stuff that's on the kid's headphones, etc?).

Shame it could not be released on 13th December, this year.

And the unreleased cues (a statemnt of the "main theme" for example)

Faleel, what do you mean by this? When does this "statement" occur in the film?

Its been so long since I have seen the film... I believe it occurs when the fireman are going down an elevator shaft or something.

Was just listening to the Disaster Movie Suite arranged by Mancini which contains the theme to Towering Inferno.

Can't believe how good was old film music and how it turned out today..

The harmonies, the texture...

Damn, and here I was hoping that my FSM release would be my 'most valuable' item, should I sell it. But of course, I won't.

I'm happy that it gets a rerelease for those who didn't get it the first time around.

Damn, and here I was hoping that my FSM release would be my 'most valuable' item, should I sell it. But of course, I won't.

I'm happy that it gets a rerelease for those who didn't get it the first time around.

Yeah I for one didn't have a chance to get it back in the day when it came out and sold out.

Will be glad to pick this one up - the FSM release sold out before I was even aware of the boutique soundtrack labels, and I refuse to pay much more than $20 for a CD on principle, so I haven't splurged.

i dont have high hopes about this having better sources or more content.

LLL's Poseidon Adventure had more content AND better sound than the FSM. Why can't Towering Inferno?

Either some people here are withholding information, or people are (once again) taking a rumour as a fact.

Huh? What do you mean?

Was just listening to the Disaster Movie Suite arranged by Mancini which contains the theme to Towering Inferno.

That's kind of insulting. You do realize it's from his great 74 to 84 period.

Wow who would figure John in his prime could write harmonies and have texture to his music. This calls for a V-8.

Wow who would figure John in his prime could write harmonies and have texture to his music. This calls for a V-8.

What?? :P

Of course I didn't mean HIS music (how bad it turned out), I meant generally film music!

Either some people here are withholding information, or people are (once again) taking a rumour as a fact.

Huh? What do you mean?

That you posted something that *might* mean TI is getting a new release and others are already crying confirmation. Or did I miss something?

I put question marks in my thread title

And I don't see anyone in this thread except Koray assuming it's officially confirmed.

Other people are using words like "hope", "if", "tentative", etc.

Maybe I'm not understanding you?

The trule ruler of this realm Marian tells the truth:

I'd welcome a release. I never got the old one.

Karol

If you think I'm withholding information, I'm not. I have no clue if a new release of TTI is coming, nor which label would do it if it was. All I did was repost what I saw MV post on FSM.

Did I say that? I'm just agreeing with Marian, that's all.

EDIT: Now I get what you're on about. I mean the second line of his post. Never bought the original. Sorry about the confusion.

Karol

I never got the FSM release either - it's a big hole in my collection. Even if a new release was identical to that, I'd welcome it with very open arms.

But hopefully, a new release would contain the complete score on disc 1 and the original LP on disc 2. Plus any alternates that exist, of course.

Amigos...amigos...hold on to your sombreros

I am not confirming anything here. A simple question was asked and a simple answer was given.

Logic dictates that in this day and age a reissue of one of filmdom's greatest composer's work will eventually get a reissue some time in the future. It's just math.

Besides, no cd is worth spending over $100 for unless it's an amazing box set of some sort....especially nowadays when Holy Grail score cds are being released every week

Sorry for causing a stir.

MV

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=101502&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=782#bottom

:lol:

Jay, I was in no way referring to you or your Label contacts* when I wrote "withholding information". Just that the claims about a confirmation don't fit your original post and thread title - so if people really *have* official confirmation, they haven't yet posted quotes.

It's not just Koray's post. At least I read all three following posts as reactions to what I believe a mistaken interpretation of your post as an official announcement:

No, Canc; definite "yay!"

We all knew it was coming, but nice to have official confirmation.

*) ...and just in case it *is* true and you *do* have information about it that you do not/cannot/must not share, that's of course perfectly alright. And in no way withholding of information, or anything anyone has a right to complain about.

I know it wasn't a re-recording, but it's always nice to hear Williams' selected arrangement of the music. As long as it doesn't increase the cost of the product, I hope it's included! That arrangement has never been available on CD legally before.

I'll buy it but I'd rather have some other score

This is better than most of the useless discs we've been getting for last couple of years. COMPLETELY better. We need this score complete, in better quality and the original album, which was never reelased on CD.

i dont have high hopes about this having better sources or more content.

LLL's Poseidon Adventure had more content AND better sound than the FSM. Why can't Towering Inferno?

FSM version having several damaged cues...i suppose the master tapes were in bad shape back then....

I'd be up for a release of The Towering Inferno as I don't own the FSM album. I wasn't too impressed with the majority of the music I heard in the film however. There's a little too much "Johnny Williams" writing in it.

Of course I didn't mean HIS music (how bad it turned out), I meant generally film music!

film music of the era was better than film music of this era, so still an insult.

This is a reissue that's actually necessary. It's never been widely available on CD.

It seems like the labels have been scraping the bottom of the barrel with most Williams reissues in recent years (Jane Eyre, Witches of Eastwick, Not With My Wife, You Don't: The Even More Useless Volume, Home Alone 2: The Same Exact Thing That Took a Decade To Sell Out Edition, etc.) while scores that actually SHOULD be released are locked away in some vault.

film music of the era was better than film music of this era, so still an insult.
He's agreeing with you. He's saying that The Towering Inferno is really good and that he misses that kind of writing compared to what's being written today.

This is a reissue that's actually necessary. It's never been widely available on CD.

It seems like the labels have been scraping the bottom of the barrel with most Williams reissues in recent years (Jane Eyre, Witches of Eastwick, Not With My Wife, You Don't: The Even More Useless Volume, Home Alone 2: The Same Exact Thing That Took a Decade To Sell Out Edition, etc.) while scores that actually SHOULD be released are locked away in some vault.

Please. You're complete ignoring amazing releases like Home Alone, 1941, Hook, Rosewood, Empire of the Sun, Amazing Stories, Black Sunday, Family Plot, Midway, etc. And I welcome any straight up re-issue when the original is OOP; It always fans who missed the earlier version to own a great score in their collection.

Look: It's not like the labels don't want to release the same Williams expansions we all want, but a lot of them can't come out because of studio politics and/or Williams not wanting them to. It's not the labels fault.

No it is not an insult. He is saying the exact same thing as you are in his first post. You are just intentionally reading filmmusic's post wrong.

How is "Can't believe how good was old film music and how it turned out today.." insulting to Williams's or any other film composers' music from the 1970s?